NH-D15: Best 140mm fan for it? (I don't care about sound)

BurstSMG
Go to solution Solved by BurstSMG,

EDIT: MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED

I will buy the NH-D15 and get another NF-A15 fan and strap it to the other side.

I have specific needs for highest static pressure and CFM possible, below 35db if possible :)

GTX 1070 - Ryzen 5 3600x - Corsair H100i V2 - 32GB DDR4 3200

Spoiler

Check out my Minecraft channel here!

Why not just stick with the 2 fans that come with it?

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Just now, Papakuma said:

Why not just stick with the 2 fans that come with it?

I want 3 fans, I don't really need RAM clearance requirements, what RAM I will get will be low profile anyways

EDIT: I also hate poop brown stock fans

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ZillaGames said:

I have specific needs for highest static pressure and CFM possible, below 35db if possible :)

If you don't care about noise too much the Noctua Industrial have some pretty high static pressures, just note that mounting might be a little odd and may require a bit of work around as the original fans are those extra sides to them. However the originals that come with the unit itself are fairly well pressure oriented out of the box. 

Just now, MrSuperb said:

it already comes with 2 really good fans ...

I wanted 3 fans, also the stock fans are poopy poop brown

Spoiler

In that case I would look into replacing them all with BeQuiet! Silent Wings 2. Also be sure that you will have enough clearance between the third fan and the exhaust fan for your case. 

Just now, Papakuma said:

In that case I would look into replacing them all with BeQuiet! Silent Wings 2. Also be sure that you will have enough clearance between the third fan and the exhaust fan for your case. 

Is the static pressure good on that one? Also, would they work in the center of the heatsink, it seems to extrude a bit

Spoiler

Just now, ZillaGames said:

I wanted 3 fans, also the stock fans are poopy poop brown

then return the nh-d15 ... Buying that and then not using those included fans is fairly stupid.

also why 3 fans? The cooling performance most likely won't be better at all and it seems like that is the only thing you are aiming for ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Just now, MrSuperb said:

then return the nh-d15 ... Buying that and then not using those included fans is fairly stupid.

also why 3 fans? The cooling performance most likely won't be better at all and it seems like that is the only thing you are aiming for ...

Don't have one yet, and I'll probably be getting three Silent Wings 2 PWM fans for that usage.

Spoiler

I will buy the NH-D15 and get another NF-A15 fan and strap it to the other side.

Spoiler

Don't have one yet, and I'll probably be getting three Silent Wings 2 PWM fans for that usage.

-.- I have no more words for you ...

why not a dark rock then ....

2 minutes ago, ZillaGames said:

Is the static pressure good on that one? Also, would they work in the center of the heatsink, it seems to extrude a bit

Not sure about the fit. Noctua builds their products around their fans. You could replace the stock brown fans with the redux industrial fans that are grey/black. But you are ultimately inflating the cost of the cooler by replacing the fans. I see you haven't bought a cooler yet...if aesthetics are of concern maybe look into a Dark Rock Pro 3 as your cooler....all black...similar performance...no noctua brown to deal with. About the same price. 

great .... waste of money (for the third fan)

Just now, MrSuperb said:

-.- I have no more words for you ...

why not a dark rock then ....

Pro 3 I can't find in Canada, so :P Whatever, I'll get an NH-D15 and get another NF-A15 on the third side. Sounds good, I guess.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ZillaGames said:

How does that solve your problem of color which you hate?

Also is there room for 3 fans plus the case fan for exhaust?

I would advise you to do some more thinking and research into your avaliable options. 

Just now, Papakuma said:

How does that solve your problem of color which you hate?

Also is there room for 3 fans plus the case fan for exhaust?

I would advise you to do some more thinking and research into your avaliable options. 

Mastercase 5 will suit the needs for that nicely... As long as I remove the back fan...

This is all theoretical, so I have not bought any of these yet...

Also, the Mastercase 5 has no side window, only a panel, so I would probably buy that :P

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ZillaGames said:

Mastercase 5 will suit the needs for that nicely... As long as I remove the back fan...

This is all theoretical, so I have not bought any of these yet...

Also, the Mastercase 5 has no side window, only a panel, so I would probably buy that :P

Two other things to be aware of...the cooler is quite tall...it should fit but not all mid tower cases will fit the cooler. Also depending on your motherboard, the D15 may block the top PCI slot. On x99 this was a problem for sure. There is a newer model, D15s that is offset to fix that problem but it comes with only one fan initially. 

As others have said, 3 fans on the cooler will not increase your cooling performance at all. You would be best to leave it at 2 fans and then keep an exhaust on your case. Otherwise you are having only passive exhaust which will result in higher overall case temps. 

Just now, Papakuma said:

Two other things to be aware of...the cooler is quite tall...it should fit but not all mid tower cases will fit the cooler. Also depending on your motherboard, the D15 may block the top PCI slot. On x99 this was a problem for sure. There is a newer model, D15s that is offset to fix that problem but it comes with only one fan initially. 

As others have said, 3 fans on the cooler will not increase your cooling performance at all. You would be best to leave it at 2 fans and then keep an exhaust on your case. Otherwise you are having only passive exhaust which will result in higher overall case temps. 

Technically, that extra fan would be acting as a rear exhaust, am I wrong?

Spoiler

It would be acting as a rear exhaust if you bolt it to the case. Otherwise it is just an extra un-needed fan on the cooler. 

Just now, Papakuma said:

It would be acting as a rear exhaust if you bolt it to the case. Otherwise it is just an extra un-needed fan on the cooler. 

Ooh, I should strap the extra fan I'll buy to the back of the case. You're a genius

Spoiler

I've heard that those seeking absolute cooling with a dual tower cooler can get a (very) slight cooling boost by having a fan on the front, empty middle a fan on the back, and a fan on top, held above the gap between the towers, also relies on good air intake on the side of the case

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W