Low Data throughput / Bandwidth over network

xframe

Hi guys,

I am new here in this forum. I am having low data throughput  or Bandwidth over my local network, In theory, I should get 1300Mbps but in actual I am only getting 260Mbps. Below are my hardware setup. Basically transferring files from desktop to the EX2.

AC1750 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter -  Archer T8E (Max 1300Mbps) 

ASUS RT-AC66U (Max 1300Mbps)

MyCloudEX2 (Max 1000Mbps)

CAT 5E cable (Max 1000Mbps)

Basically, My desktop uses the AC1750 T8E and it is connected to the Asus router RT-AC66U via wireless and the MyCloudEX2 is connected to the router via CAT 5E cable. 

I have checked the wireless speed on my desktop and it is stated there under network status that the speed is 1Gbps. I have also added the ip address into the host file but it didn't help. The distance from my desktop to the router is approximately 6 meters with no walls in between. It is also connected via the 5GHz band.

I have also tried to enable the jumbo package in the router setting but with no positive result.

1 minute ago, xframe said:

Hi guys,

I am new here in this forum. I am having low data throughput  or Bandwidth over my local network, In theory, I should get 1300Mbps but in actual I am only getting 260Mbps. Below is my hardware.

AC1750 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter -  Archer T8E (Max 1300Mbps) 

ASUS RT-AC66U (Max 1300Mbps)

MyCloudEX2 (Max 1000Mbps)

CAT 5E cable (Max 1000Mbps)

Basically, My desktop uses the AC1750 T8E and it is connected to the Asus router RT-AC66U via wireless and the MyCloudEX2 is connected to the router via CAT 5E cable. 

I have checked the wireless speed on my desktop and it is stated there under network status that the speed is 1Gbps. I have also added the ip address into the host file but it didn't help. The distance from my desktop to the router is approximately 6 meters with no walls in between. It is also connected via the 5GHz band.

I have also tried to enable the jumbo package in the router setting but with no positive result.

well I think you have a limit somewhere one of your hardware devices isn't able to carryout the 1gb signal and is limiting the speed so good luck with that jazz

Yes, there is a bottleneck somewhere but I didnt manage to locate where the bottleneck is. Is there any tool that I can use? How do you troubleshoot this bottleneck issue?

51 minutes ago, xframe said:

Yes, there is a bottleneck somewhere but I didnt manage to locate where the bottleneck is. Is there any tool that I can use? How do you troubleshoot this bottleneck issue?

You're bottleneck is the wireless. Link speed goes down with distance. Actual throughput over wireless is less than the link speed.

38 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

You're bottleneck is the wireless. Link speed goes down with distance. Actual throughput over wireless is less than the link speed.

Yes, both will be different. But I don't expect a drop from 1300Mbps to 260Mbps when it's at line of sight and only 6 meters away. Or Maybe that's the actual performance and that's the expected drop over 6 meter?

7 hours ago, xframe said:

Yes, both will be different. But I don't expect a drop from 1300Mbps to 260Mbps when it's at line of sight and only 6 meters away. Or Maybe that's the actual performance and that's the expected drop over 6 meter?

Yep, that's wireless for you. I get a link speed of ~500Mbps at about 30 ft. Actual file transfer speed was around 160Mbps.

You might get full speed if the devices were touching each other.

How are you testing the transfer speed? If you're not using it, give iperf a try to get an accurate reading (some people just do the file copy which adds some overhead and can be affected by your disk IO). I would run iperf in both directions (i.e. one as client and the other as server and then reverse) to see if your upload and download are similar and if so you're probably at your limit.

-KuJoe

35 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

How are you testing the transfer speed? If you're not using it, give iperf a try to get an accurate reading (some people just do the file copy which adds some overhead and can be affected by your disk IO). I would run iperf in both directions (i.e. one as client and the other as server and then reverse) to see if your upload and download are similar and if so you're probably at your limit.

+1 to this, iperf or a similar tool should always be used first before file copy tests. After that use ram disks for the file copy tests then ram disk to real disk etc, that's the most reliable method I've found for finding where problems are (in basic networks).

Also wireless speeds drop off EXTREMELY quickly with distance and the device's antenna (receive & transmit) plays a huge part in this. While a good access point will do a better job they cannot compensate for bad devices. I've seen laptops in the same room connected to the same AP have widely different connection speeds and performance, Aruba 135 to be exact and these are no mere basic enterprise grade AP either.

Another thing to do is download wireless heatmap software for a laptop or phone and just check how busy/contested the channels are around you.

Thanks for all your inputs. I have not tried using iperf before. What i did was just to copy and paste it from my Desktop to my NAS. And I get the actual throughput from there.

I will explore iperf and see whether I can identify the bottle neck.

I have recently tried to connect a CAT 5E cable from my desktop to the router, making it 100% cable connection. The maximum throughput I can get via cable connection is only 660Mbps and which is half the publish transfer rate of 1300Mbps. If wired connection is giving me 660Mbps then 260Mbps on wireless is not that bad. But then I need to find out how to maximize the LAN connection so that it will also reflect in my wireless connection (Hopefully). I read some reviews and they mention wireshark is the best but as I know, I only use wireshark as a sniffer and never as a throughput monitoring tool. Anyone here knows how to use wireshark as a throughput monitoring tool? (You can google up and see, there are many people says it works but I just don't know how).

I will try out the method mention by Kujoe and Leadeater. Hope to see something from there.

Definitely there is a bottleneck somewhere as even LAN gives me 660Mbps only.