Im new to data tech sites! so be nice, i have questions

Hi folks.

Now lately ve been bothered by my PCs idle noice level.

my PC was bought 4 years ago give or take. And it was a prebuildt specc it yourself pc from Komplett.no

It has been quite reliable and i have barely touched it since i got it.

In the beginning i had some issues but that got solved by simply loosen the zipties on the cables so that the connectors was not being bendt.

It was specced to do windtunnel simulations back when that was available throught the software i worked with.

Here is a video i did back then. This one even has music still!

It has a I7 3930K six core watercooled And even at idle it stays at 50c*

Thats high is it not? Later today i touched (bad pun time) the radiator and it sure did radiate some heat.. I could not even hold my hands on it..

It did peak at 80C*

Im thinking i need to redo that paste on the chip. Toughts?

The cooling system is: Corsair Cooling hydro HSO H80

I did notice the CPU altering its clockspeed so thats nice.. 3.5 now.. I thought it only went to 3.3ghz.

Also that GPU (GTX 680) is noisy as fuck when i play CSGO and Warthunder. Might be open to suggestions on how to dampen the noice.

Also.. is there a program/app/gadget that also shows GPU temps? with log is nice. I have a program called simply Core temp now.

Found Linustechtips on YT by accident and started to watch a ton of it. My favorite is scrapwars (should add reliabiltity as a criterium), mineral oil PC. and that white big one with the sub zero cooler thingy.

I guess thats it for now. Hope to hear from you soon. Any questions?

Welcome!

Yeah, take out your H80, take the fan off and use some compressed air to clean the fan-side of the radiator out. It gets really, really dusty even after just a year (for me, I have a H100i).

Then, use the same can of compressed air to clean out the fans on the GTX 680. 

Or if you're into deep cleaning, LTT has made a video here:

idk

I think the temps are safe enough. Have you cleaned the dust out of it recently? Large amounts of dust can accumulate on the blades and make the surface ruffer which makes more noise. 

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

first off, welcome to the fourm.

yes, redoing the thermal paste might be necessary. While you're at it, try using a can of compressed air to clean out any dust in your fans.

for temps, try using Openhardware, it can show all the system temperatures in the pc, including the graphics card.

ps: 50 degrees is really cool

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Thanks guys! i just recently bought a can of compressed air. So i might take a look at these things. But how often is considered necesary to chance termal paste?

4 minutes ago, Howlingwolf101 said:

ps: 50 degrees is really cool

o.O for a sauna? Idle 50 degrees seems warm to me.. I'm typically at 27-30 idle at 4.6ghz 

Edit** then again i dont know how hot those 6cores run.. so nevermind me 

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A  CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT  GPUGigabyte GTX 980 Xtreme  RAM:2x8gb HyperX Fury  SSD: 120gb A-Data  HDD: 1Tb WD Blue 7200RPM - 750gb Hitachi 2.5" HDD  PSU: EVGA SuperNova G1 650W  Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX  Monitor: 27" AOC LED IPS x 2  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Silent  Mouse: Corsair Scimitar RGB

HeadsetLogitech G430  

This is good. A discussion appears.

Main reason it gets little care is because i only have this one and i hate downtime.. so this machine have had some running ours on it.

Any way to see the hours the motherboard has been running? It is a P9X79 Pro..

Just now, MatsNorway said:

This is good. A discussion appears.

Main reason it gets little care is because i only have this one and i hate downtime.. so this machine have had some running ours on it.

Any way to see the hours the motherboard has been running?

Download Speccy, and it should allow you to see the hard-drive's 'on hours'

idk

10 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

Thanks guys! i just recently bought a can of compressed air. So i might take a look at these things. But how often is considered necesary to chance termal paste?

If applied properly it should be ok for the lifetime of the chip. Because you said was a prebuilt system, you might want to replace it though. Sometimes large PC builders use cheaper (low quality) thermal paste.

6 minutes ago, MatsNorway said:

Thermal paste shouldn't need to be changed too often. I prefer to change mine if it is dried out or about every 3 or 4 years. If the paste is still wet then you can probably put the cooler right back on.

50°C idle is still quite hot unless you have some crazy overclocking numbers going on. It sounds like you really need to clean the whole system. Ypu should clean it every 6 months. Since you run yours a lot then I would suggest every 3 months.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Im not sold on the pump.. Does it throttle up on its own? it has a button on it.. I pushed it to the lowest setting for less noice..

Should it not adjust on its own when needed anyway?

What am i actually choosing? just the idle speed? idk..  :P

When you say clean the whole system.. Does that include doing anything with the watersystem? not including removing and reapplying the termalpaste..

Cleaning the workhorse up sounds like a weekend project.

1 hour ago, MatsNorway said:

Im not sold on the pump.. Does it throttle up on its own? it has a button on it.. I pushed it to the lowest setting for less noice..

Should it not adjust on its own when needed anyway?

What am i actually choosing? just the idle speed? idk..  :P

When you say clean the whole system.. Does that include doing anything with the watersystem? not including removing and reapplying the termalpaste..

Cleaning the workhorse up sounds like a weekend project.

If it is an AIO cooler then you shouldn't have to clean out the tubes and rad. I don't even know how well you could clean out the rad, if something is stuck in there it most likely isn't coming back out.

Just pull off the cpoler and cjeck the thermal paste, if it is dried out you can probably scrape it off the cooler with your finger or a chopstick/toothpick. Only the stuff that is on the top of the CPU  and the bottom of the cooler needs to be removed (if i s around the sides it isn't a big deal).

Clean out your fans amd radiator with a vacume/compressed air (vacume is reccomended if the dust is really thick) and get the more stubborn dust with a papertowl or rag. Use compressed air on the rest of the system as a vacome can damage the parts. Also don't let the fans spin freely while you clean them or you will damage the bearings and be left with very noisy fans.

If your system isn't able to hold a CPU temp below 45° at idle (still high for an AIO cooler) then you should bump the pump speed up more. Some pumps do adjust their speed but not all do.

The whole process should take from an hour to two an a half hours depending on how dirty it is.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Had a crack at it yesterday.. Did not really go well. Did get some dust out but i must have done something wrong too. Because my PC was acting up after it. Had to install Win 7 again as the disk would not read. Then suddenly it stopped showing the windows stuff.. It was just not visible. It appeared as if it was running in the background just fine. Skype logged on but i could not see any of it.

Recovered to the earliest version and is trying to add the nvidia drivers now. I had the issue after installing that. Its really slow to install right now as well.

Oh and the bearing on the fan on the graffics card is hearable so i think its pretty well used.

The installer seemingly have stopped on microsoft NET framework..

Is there any disk checker/Motherboard checker, GPU checker software i could run?

Edit: fixed it! Also the fan control up front has not been working so i plugged the fan directly into the motherboard and now it spins again. Might help on the temps a little.

Found a "PC diagnostics" program on the driver disk.. tried it on something called CMOS..

and now it is not responding.. So that is promising.....

Edit: interesting.. CMOS test failed.

So is the CMOS chanceable? It is right? Where do i buy those? My regular site gave no hits.