Fury X now or Polaris Later

Keiichi

So these types of threads are bound to pop up a fair amount while we are all (im)patiently waiting for Polaris and Pascal, to see availability in stores and having some much needed information from reviewers (hoping Linus gets review samples asap).

Okay, here's what's going on for me and how I've thought it out.

I need a new GPU, last one died on me but even if it didn't go poof-da it would of been high time for an upgrade anyways (HD7870).

I'm using a ASUS MG279Q 2560x1440 144Hz monitor so I'm wanting a top end card for high frame rates with pushing that resolution & refresh rate.

Information is key big time, specially this time around with new architecture and a process node shrink + other features vs the usual "oh slightly better, a bit more fps 10-20% over last year meh" type deal.

I was really hoping to get more information from AMD's capsaicin event to get a better picture over all, but of-course were left with playing a guessing game until an official launch date is made and reviewers get cards/NDA's lifted to actually find out the much needed info we all need & want.

So naturally I'm wondering: "how much better is Polaris going to be?" "which cards will we actually see this summer as part of their launch and which ones will come later?" "What about HBM?" etc.

What we did get from the capsaicin event is that the Polaris cards wont be using HBM2, so that means GDDR5/X and probably 4 & 8GB cards depending on which one R7/R9 470/480/490 etc.

We also got them showing off a system using what they said is their enthusiast Polaris card running Hitman in DX12 mode at 2560x1440 doing a constant 60fps (locked at 60), however we don't know if that was maxed out settings and if it was how much more fps would of it gotten beyond the 60fps lock?

By comparison the Fury X is doing 67fps at those settings (would imagine that it should get better with driver updates). So with this its a safe guess to say yes their top Polaris will be better then the Fury X but by how much? and is it worth the wait? What about the others as you trickle down the line shying away from the most expensive card? We don't know this and it makes our purchasing decision annoying to say the least.

I was also hoping that with them finally releasing the Radeon Pro Duo and giving Polaris information it might of lead to the Fury X price going down a bit (yeah wishful thinking).

At the earliest we will see retail units in stores is by June so 3 months, but when you account for possible delays, and hey lets face it, it happens often in the video card industry so that shouldn't be a shocker. Plus the inevitable wait for the add-in board partners to release them with custom coolers and not stock reference ones & supply and demand stock issues. Well then.. that actually is more like a 4-6 month window if you think about it.

So what's going through my head is that I can wait anywhere between 3-6 more months to get the top of the line Polaris which should be better then the Fury X for the same price. Or save a bit of money by getting the 2nd or even 3rd best Polaris which I would guess will be on par or slightly below what the Fury X can do(totally guessing here). Or say piss on it and just enjoy a Fury X now. All the while keeping in mind that I don't have a working GPU atm and there for cringe at the thought of waiting up to 6 months, hell even 4.

Oh and of-course with Polaris once officially out making prices on the R9 300 and Fury series get a price cut adding more options to the table.

/discuss

Fury X is bad value.

390 is good, R9 Nano good, 980 ti good.

no one knows how much better polaris will be.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'd say wait for Polaris, I certainly am. They are releasing in June IIRC.

Anything later.

Once the new cards release a solid number or Fury X owners will be competing on Ebay to sell you one.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

5 minutes ago, dbzgod said:

i say wait for Polaris

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

If you can stick it out your have nothing to lose but all too gain. I'm not going to type here and say the new cards are going to be this and that but here in the UK a r9 nano is 350 pound which isn't bad value at all. Yes the fury x are better but you will pay an extra 120 pound maybe more. We have 2 systems in our house 1 runs the nano and the other a 980ti overclocked

Did you guys actually read my whole post or just quickly reply to the subject title? lol

6 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

If you can stick it out your have nothing to lose but all too gain. I'm not going to type here and say the new cards are going to be this and that but here in the UK a r9 nano is 350 pound which isn't bad value at all. Yes the fury x are better but you will pay an extra 120 pound maybe more. We have 2 systems in our house 1 runs the nano and the other a 980ti overclocked

The frustrating part for me is that my desktop has been out of order since September but couldn't afford to get new parts back then, now that I do its added more frustration with Polaris around the corner. However I'm ready to drop kick this laptop I'm on for its AAAaatrocious performance.

I doubt you'd want a Polaris, it sounds to me that these GPUs are aimed at the low tier market and as mobile/notebook solutions

23 minutes ago, dbzgod said:

i read the entire thing and my conclusion is: we dont know sht about polaris yet

19 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Anything later.

Once the new cards release a solid number or Fury X owners will be competing on Ebay to sell you one.

i would do what he says

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

23 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i read the entire thing and my conclusion is: we dont know sht about polaris yet

i would do what he says

If I had a working system by default I would be just waiting it out haha, but since I have a dead GPU and want to have a working desktop waiting even more on top of what I have had to wait has been making me cringe these days.

So I've been weighing all the options, but all the 300 series cards feel like a waste to get for 1440p gaming, Nvidia is out for an option as I'm using the FreeSync gaming monitor from ASUS (love it) and wont switch to another.

7 minutes ago, dbzgod said:

If I had a working system by default I would be just waiting it out haha, but since I have a dead GPU and want to have a working desktop waiting even more on top of what I have had to wait has been making me cringe these days.

So I've been weighing all the options, but all the 300 series cards feel like a waste to get for 1440p gaming, Nvidia is out for an option as I'm using the FreeSync gaming monitor from ASUS (love it) and wont switch to another.

what you can do is either u wait, or u get a cheap card and live with it for now

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

35 minutes ago, dbzgod said:

Get a Nitro Fury.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

10 hours ago, ivan134 said:

Get a Nitro Fury.

Sapphire's "Extension" card designs are very blah and unappealing to me lol. With price matching the $100-ish difference between the Fury & X is something I've considered. I've also seen some open units that stores have discounted as well as few on ebay and other selling sites.

I'm going to pay attention to the prices for the next week or 2 for now.

Polaris. Fiji in general has very minimal gains over Hawaii as of now. Nano is great though because of its size.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

On 16/03/2016 at 8:05 AM, ZetZet said:

Fury X is bad value.

390 is good, R9 Nano good, 980 ti good.

no one knows how much better polaris will be.

I've decided I will wait for Polaris. Now I'm wondering if the top cards to come out in June are going to be R9 490 & 490X or if AMD has something that will be better then a 490X to replace the Fury series.

Also looking at AMD's roadmap Vega with its HBM2 looks like it could be either Q42016 or Q12017 launch makes me wonder if those cards will be the Fury series successors. However like hell I'm waiting that long I'm getting what comes out in June.

AMD has a couple of new architectures coming

-Polaris which will release shortly

-Vega which is coming at the end of the year or beginning of next with HBM2

it could be that Vega will be the more high end enthusiast one... Not sure

They shown one of the Polaris cards running 1440p 60+FPS (Polaris 10). So obviously they WILL have some high end cards coming out of this release. Probably 480/90/X at the high end if they stick to their naming scheme and Vega will most likely replace the Fury/X/Nano. 

The 490/X will almost certainly outpace the Fury series, so if you are happy with that then wait. But then Vega will come out and you'll be mad. So either way you'll be disappointed

15 hours ago, zberry7 said:

They shown one of the Polaris cards running 1440p 60+FPS (Polaris 10). So obviously they WILL have some high end cards coming out of this release. Probably 480/90/X at the high end if they stick to their naming scheme and Vega will most likely replace the Fury/X/Nano. 

The 490/X will almost certainly outpace the Fury series, so if you are happy with that then wait. But then Vega will come out and you'll be mad. So either way you'll be disappointed

No I wouldn't be mad with Vega coming out, that's ridiculous, you would forever be caught in an constant loop waiting for the next one and never satisfied lol.

For the price getting a Fury X now is a waste and I don't really need it right now so its a great advantage to wait for the changes Polaris brings.

Reading the article here:

http://wccftech.com/amd-powerful-c99-polaris-gpu-vega-10-test-vehicle/

There might indeed be a card better then a 490X coming this summer or it could just be the 490X as the top one, regardless I will get the best one I can get this summer unless the differences between the top 2 are too small to justify the price.