Graphics Issue On HP Omen 860m

BMARX123
Go to solution Solved by BMARX123,

Problem  solved apparently. HP's stupid smart adapter. Seems that the aftermarket charger I am using made the laptop think it was underpowered. Seems to be fixed now.

Hey forum,

Recently my perfectly working Hp Omen laptop has run into a very strange issue. I am not really able to get above 5fps in games I used to be able to play at 60. I believe I have checked all the things that would have caused this, such as making sure the program is using dedicated graphics.  Furmark shows 100% gpu usage, but only run at 1fps when it used to run upwards of 20. Has anyone else run into a similar issue, and what can I do to fix this?

All help is appreciated, and if you need any more details just ask.

HP Omen Laptop:

i7 4710hq

Geforce Gtx 860m

8gb ram

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

On 3/16/2016 at 0:01 PM, BMARX123 said:

Hey forum,

Recently my perfectly working Hp Omen laptop has run into a very strange issue. I am not really able to get above 5fps in games I used to be able to play at 60. I believe I have checked all the things that would have caused this, such as making sure the program is using dedicated graphics.  Furmark shows 100% gpu usage, but only run at 1fps when it used to run upwards of 20. Has anyone else run into a similar issue, and what can I do to fix this?

All help is appreciated, and if you need any more details just ask.

HP Omen Laptop:

i7 4710hq

Geforce Gtx 860m

8gb ram

Thats really strange? how old is the laptop as i have had my laptop for 5 years and its only just getting a bit old now. I would wait for a few more replies and then just go get it replaced under warranty if it is new.

Just now, FrozenSpark said:

Thats really strange? how old is the laptop as i have had my laptop for 5 years and its only just getting a bit old now. I would wait for a few more replies and then just go get it replaced under warranty if it is new.

Bought it at the beginning of the school year, should still be under warranty. My plan is to follow through with the warranty later on.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: Reference GTX 980ti Motherboard: Gigabyte 990fxa-Ud3 (rev. 4.0) RAM: 16GB 1600 Speed Memory Power Supply: Corsair CX600m 600 watt PSU Case: NZXT H440

23 hours ago, BMARX123 said:

Bought it at the beginning of the school year, should still be under warranty. My plan is to follow through with the warranty later on.

Ok its good that its under warranty. Take it to your schools IT office if they have it and tell them the issue and they should be able to help out a bit.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If your laptop updated to the newer drivers or whatever (361.47 iirc) that's probably the root of the issue.

Just updated yesterday. Problems started beforehand and have still not stopped.

I'm assuming you're running Windows 10.

Yep

Just reinstall. That's probably easier than finding out what the fuck is actually causing the issue.

Reinstall windows?

Just found a much more concerning problem. Was monitoring the GPU while running furmark and the GPU load was at 100% but the clock speed was only at 135mhz. What would be causing such an underclock?

Problem  solved apparently. HP's stupid smart adapter. Seems that the aftermarket charger I am using made the laptop think it was underpowered. Seems to be fixed now.