Am I Crazy Making This System for Minecraft?

So, I'm building a PC. As of current, the specs are supposed to be an FX-4350, a STRIX R9 380X, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz RAM, EVGA 750W PSU, a 1TB SSHD. The only things I plan on doing is playing and recording Minecraft. Sounds crazy, right? I do want to be able to edit and render the videos as well. I also plan on using a high-resolution texture pack and shaders. Is this too much? I'm still going to build it and I may dabble in some games on Steam, but I think it should be good for recording and playing? Any thoughts on this?

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

2 minutes ago, Schyken said:

So, I'm building a PC. As of current, the specs are supposed to be an FX-4350, a STRIX R9 380X, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz RAM, EVGA 750W PSU, a 1TB SSHD. The only things I plan on doing is playing and recording Minecraft. Sounds crazy, right? I do want to be able to edit and render the videos as well. I also plan on using a high-resolution texture pack and shaders. Is this too much? I'm still going to build it and I may dabble in some games on Steam, but I think it should be good for recording and playing? Any thoughts on this?

You should really change out that CPU, I think even a skylake i3 CPU would perform as well as that one and that is not good if you're gonna be recording.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

For recording / editing, I'd recommend an i7. Or an i5 at minimum.

Haven't been impressed by AMD's stuff, can't recommend them

You'd also don't need a 750W psu. 550 or 600 would be fine.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

What 750 watt unit.

And why an SSHD.

The SuperNOVA gold. The SSHD until I get an SSD.

2 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

You should really change out that CPU, I think even a skylake i3 CPU would perform as well as that one and that is not good if you're gonna be recording.

Maybe an i5?

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

Just now, Schyken said:

The SuperNOVA gold. The SSHD until I get an SSD.

Maybe an i5?

Supernova Gold... there's the G1. The G2. The GQ. Come on, there's multiple units and you don't wanna be stuck with the G1.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Schyken said:

Maybe an i5?

An i5 would be great unless you're gonna start recording CPU heavy games at a high resolution (or you could get an NVidia card and use the shadowplay feature which makes the GPU record the game without taking a hit on performance and still get the AMD CPU)

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

There is no such thing as crazy with this build its pretty much a stranded gaming computer a good one too i would put at least an i5

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Storage: Intel 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB SSHD II PSU: Thermal Take 700w II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

2 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

There is no such thing as crazy with this build its pretty much a stranded gaming computer a good one too i would put at least an i5

The PSU is crazy when you look at the components :P

That's way too weak a CPU for the GPU you're putting in there, and it's also old-fashioned. Even lacking any L3 cache the 860K will probably have similar or better performance but with Minecraft (especially modded) being predominantly dependent on single-threaded performance Intel is really the way to go. A GPU that powerful even with nice shaders is overkill and to be frank while in DirectX it's usually pretty close AMD has tended to largely ignore OpenGL performance so perhaps an nVidia GPU might be better for Minecraft anyway.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

1 minute ago, tomaatvk said:

The PSU is crazy when you look at the components :P

Future upgrades lol im running with my build i7 3770 970 G1 16 ram 4tbsshd SSD 240gb 2 TB HDD with a 700w psu

CPU: i7 3770 3.40Ghz 3.90Ghz II  Motherboard: Gigabyte II Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance II GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition II Case: CM Storm Enforcer II

Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push.  ~Joker

12 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

Future upgrades lol im running with my build i7 3770 970 G1 16 ram 4tbsshd SSD 240gb 2 TB HDD with a 700w psu

I'm running an i7 3770k, 980 ti, 16GB ram, 480GB PCI-e SSD, 120GB SATA SSD, 1TB SATA HDD with an RM750i (so 750 watt) and I almost max it out. Thanks to my overclocking my GPU consumes almost 500 watt and my cpu roughly 160 watt so roughly 650 watt for those 2 components alone. The rest of my system uses roughly 30 watts, my fans roughly 40 watts when all on full RPM and my LEDs roughly 25 watts. I've actually seen corsair link telling me that my system was pulling 672 watt from the PSU and after power conversion loss it was pulling roughly 740 watt from the wall. On a single GPU system.

5 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

sorry, for whatever reason it posted twice

its come up as one post and niice build glad im not the only one still running the 3rd gen lol

29 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What 750 watt unit.

And why an SSHD.

The post says EVGA 750W, it's not like there are hundreds of EVGA models. And any one of theirs should be decent. Sure the G2 or even T2 would be much better than, say, B2, but it's still a decent psu for the price. That said, I strongly agree with others saying the 750W is an overkill for this build.

Just now, maremp said:

The post says EVGA 750W, it's not like there are hundreds of EVGA models. And any one of theirs should be decent. Sure the G2 or even T2 would be much better than, say, B2, but it's still a decent psu for the price. That said, I strongly agree with others saying the 750W is an overkill for this build.

I mean as long as it isn't the EVGA G1 or B1 he's fine.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

its come up as one post and niice build glad im not the only one still running the 3rd gen lol

Once the broadwell-e series are released I'm either gonna get an 6850k or 6900k CPU because I 'need' more performance.

18 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

High power psu with components that don't utilize even half of it's power isn't that smart, you are not hitting the optimal performance of your psu. Also buying a huge psu to be "future proof" doesn't make much sense either, unless you are planning to upgrade after less than a year of the purchase. 

1 minute ago, maremp said:

High power psu with components that don't utilize even half of it's power isn't that smart, you are not hitting the optimal performance of your psu. Also buying a huge psu to be "future proof" doesn't make much sense either, unless you are planning to upgrade after less than a year of the purchase. 

Ive had this 700w psu for years back then i didnt know much and i had it put together for me back then my build was i7 3770 8gb 1TB hdd GT 640 Atec case that was back in 2012 been upgrading over time added more HDD now SSD i did have a 670 4gb OC couple months back managed to sell it for 250 then now i have a 970 4gb G1 with 16gb ram ive been thinking of down grading the PSU since im never going to do SLI and considering getting a modular psu  P.S my case has changed to CM storm enforcer

5 minutes ago, Ace0100 said:

Ive had this 700w psu for years back then i didnt know much and i had it put together for me back then my build was i7 3770 8gb 1TB hdd GT 640 Atec case that was back in 2012 been upgrading over time added more HDD now SSD i did have a 670 4gb OC couple months back managed to sell it for 250 then now i have a 970 4gb G1 with 16gb ram ive been thinking of down grading the PSU since im never going to do SLI and considering getting a modular psu  P.S my case has changed to CM storm enforcer

95f5fdbd1e6d6027c04203e29e0596a52dd94a98

lol... That build isn't so much overkill as it is poorly put together. The CPU is trash, while the GPU is a great one. You don't need either for Minecraft. Even with shaders and editing/rendering. I took about 10 minutes to put something together that would be way better for a similar price. There's no reason to settle for less with AMD CPUs right now, and you definitely don't need anything over a GTX 950. If you decide to play other games, that GPU has you covered for anything at 1080p.

Drop 8GB of RAM if you need to save $30 or so... Buy/find a copy of Windows 10 and you're all set.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6CCd4D
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6CCd4D/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H GSM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 950 2GB Video Card  ($144.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($55.11 @ Mac Mall)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.54 @ Amazon)
Total: $624.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-15 18:45 EDT-0400

If this is above your budget let me know and I can get something else figured out.