Upgrading: old gpu and 1080+ - new gpu &1440 21:9+

Not sure what the new card lineup is going to bring to the table and wanted to do more research before I actually posted this, though so much is on my plate it's hard to get everything done and I'd rather keep the initial post at least a bit shorter. Main pc components will be listed below. I am currently running 1080p 144hz monitor and have little to no problem with frame rates in most things I play don't mind lowering the settings a little here and there. However I have a 1440 21:9 on the way that I'm worried my card (7970) wont push. Now I have recently been upgrading random things but not many core components. I worry that by upgrading my gpu I may then have to upgrade my psu and then perhaps even my cpu due to bottle-necking. I am also back and forth on waiting for the next lineup (likely Polaris/AMD) or just ordering what I can now. If I wait I suppose I can get the older cards on an even better sale or grab up on those new features HBM and whatever else. Well that's my case let me know what you all think and hopefully help guide me on my way a bit.

AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core (@ 4.6 when OCed)
    Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM    
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+    
    G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866    
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB     (Had MSI Lightning but had to RMA :/)
    NZXT Switch 810 ATX Full Tower     (Don't think card size is much of an issue)
    SeaSonic 660W ATX12V / EPS12V     (Will she get by? If not I think I'll step down from platinum this time.)
    Asus VG248QE 24.0 (current "primary" monitor)
    LG 34UC87M-B (Massdrop so it'll be a couple weeks yet probably and don't mind running at lower res until new card if need be)

I had something else to add but forgot though while I'm thinking of it what is the best thing to do for / with my 7970?
Part of me wants to just build a whole new rig but we have history :P