Please critique my build (Gaming/General Home)

EIijah

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/GywhnQ

This is a build for a friend who already has a GTX 770. I know they're getting kinda old but it'll still perform well enough. I was also going to submit this build for my assignment which is a home use pc under $850 (I may change the cpu to a 6400 and go with a 500w psu because there won't be a gpu)

If you want to suggest I change a part I ask that you look at NZ prices but by all means just suggest and I'll have a look myself :)

Hard drives and SSD not included because I have spares.

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4GBx4  MOUSE: CM Mizar KEYBOARD: Logitec G110

Better PSU - the NEX series aren't good. Although not fully modular, the CM VSM series is a much better choice.

http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-power-supply-rs650amaag1s1

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I have the 100R, it isn't the best case. I actually bent the back of mine trying to get one of the side panels off. Luckily it bent back. Good cable management is a MUST. Modular PSU would be highly recommended. I spent a few hours cable managing my build that now the back side panel fits on better than the front. Also, mATX board is something I can recommend and wouldn't swap out for a standard ATX, just to ease some stress from building.

Spoiler

Computer: I7-8700 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Z370 HD3 | XFX RX Vega 64 | LPX 16GB 3000mhz | 250GB 850 Evo | 3TB Hitachi HDD | Mobo Box Case (for now) | EVGA 1300w G2

Monitors: MSI Optix G24C 144hz | LG 24" 1080p 

Mouse & Keyboard: Logitech G403 & G413 Carbon

Audio: Fostex T50RP Mk3 | Micca Origen+

I would personally get an Intel CPU (they're worth it), no matter what (for the most part), AMD chips are just too old

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

1 minute ago, verydogesuchwow said:

I would personally get an Intel CPU (they're worth it), no matter what (for the most part), AMD chips are just too old

The CPU in the part picker list is an Intel CPU, and I'd assume the 6400 mentioned would just be the step down from the i5 6500 to the 2.7GHz i5 6400.

Spoiler

Computer: I7-8700 | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Z370 HD3 | XFX RX Vega 64 | LPX 16GB 3000mhz | 250GB 850 Evo | 3TB Hitachi HDD | Mobo Box Case (for now) | EVGA 1300w G2

2 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

You sure you're posting on the right thread? It clearly says Intel Core i5-6500 in the pcpartpicker link.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 minutes ago, verydogesuchwow said:

Uhhhhh, are you kidding?

CPU: i5-4690K @ 4.0GHz GPU: Gigabyte Gtx 970 WindForce MOBO: Gigabyte Z97 Gaming-3 CASE: Corsair Carbide 200R PSU: Corsair RM750

6 minutes ago, shakenbreak said:

The CPU in the part picker list is an Intel CPU, and I'd assume the 6400 mentioned would just be the step down from the i5 6500 to the 2.7GHz i5 6400.

That is correct xD I didn't realize amd had a very old 6400 too xD

6 minutes ago, shakenbreak said:

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

You sure you're posting on the right thread? It clearly says Intel Core i5-6500 in the pcpartpicker link.

1 minute ago, EIijah said:

Uhhhhh, are you kidding?

wait, I thought you meant you wanted an FX-6400 lol sorry

Intel i7 6700K | MSI Krait Z170A MSI GTX 980 w/ NZXT Kraken G10/x31 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD/WD Blue 1TB HDD NZXT H440 | K70 RGB/SteelSeries Rival

15 minutes ago, shakenbreak said:

I have the 100R, it isn't the best case. I actually bent the back of mine trying to get one of the side panels off. Luckily it bent back. Good cable management is a MUST. Modular PSU would be highly recommended. I spent a few hours cable managing my build that now the back side panel fits on better than the front. Also, mATX board is something I can recommend and wouldn't swap out for a standard ATX, just to ease some stress from building.

I have a 200r which I figured would be similar, I mostly picked it because of the price. I've done ATX and M-ITX builds so mATX should be fine :D

2 minutes ago, EIijah said:

I have a 200r which I figured would be similar, I mostly picked it because of the price. I've done ATX and M-ITX builds so mATX should be fine :D

It should be, I know I had a kind of hard time getting my ATX board in with the PSU installed and the motherboard standoffs not staying in the case (in turn staying screwed into my motherboard) but that standoff problem could just be the one I have. Other than that I had to route the 8pin for the CPU along the top because I couldn't get it to work behind the motherboard and used zip ties in the fan mounting spots/grilles at the top of the case.

Other than the little annoying issues I've had when I built my system, it's an overall pretty good case.

Spoiler