First NAS and Router Build

I have determined that I need a NAS and I would like to also make it a router (if that is even possible).

Here is my proposed build:

CPU/Motherboard: ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX Server Motherboard

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Power Supply: SeaSonic SS-350SFE 350W

HDDs: (4) Seagate Archive HDD v2 ST8000AS0002 8TB 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

Operating System Drive: An 8GB thumb drive

Network card: IBM 39Y6136 PRO/1000PT Quad Port PCI Express Network Adapter 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Express x4 4 x RJ45

Case: SilverStone DS380B

This will be my first NAS and my first router build so I have a few questions.

1. Is it even possible to combine a NAS and a router into one machine?

2. I have 24 TB worth of media that I would like to be able to stream. I also would like to have about 4 TB for a backup of 2 MacBooks and one PC. Would a NAS be able to work with both Windows and Mac OS, or would that not work?

2. I know very little about networking, so I am not sure if I am under-spending or overspending on the network card. My PC uses 2 Ethernet cables, my Mac mini uses 1, and my Roku uses 1, so I need a total of 4 Ethernet output cables. I also need Wi-Fi but don't know what hardware I need for that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

if you run virtual machines it is possible, this is a bit over kill in a few areas though, other than that it looks great.

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

1. Yes, you can. Don't do it.

2. Yes, you can create shares that are compatible with Windows and OSX. 

3. Leave networking to standalone devices. Router/Firewall device that handles routing, NAT, firewall, security, etc. A switch to connect all wired connections, and access points to handle WiFi.

If you "know very little about networking", then just buy a consumer wireless router and learning. Trying to "build" a router and piecing networking devices together with no knowledge can be head-bang-against-wall frustrating.

1 hour ago, reddemonoverlord said:

if you run virtual machines it is possible, this is a bit over kill in a few areas though, other than that it looks great.

Where do you think the over kill is?

The only real "overkill" is the ram, the rest is an acctual upgrade over worse parts, with that you would have 1 gb to your main os, 7 to your router, and 8 to your nas.

Pc Speck's : i7-6700K 4.0GHz , GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB , 16 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 - 3400 , ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz , (2) Acer G277HL bid 60Hz.

1 hour ago, reddemonoverlord said:

The only real "overkill" is the ram, the rest is an acctual upgrade over worse parts, with that you would have 1 gb to your main os, 7 to your router, and 8 to your nas.

No. RAM is cheap. No such thing as too much RAM.

You could in run them both on the same machine, depends on which OS you chose however weather or not it is recommended to do so.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

14 hours ago, beavo451 said:

No. RAM is cheap. No such thing as too much RAM.

-.- overkill is not TOO MUCH, its too much to make it make CENTS, only because think about how much a router needs? a nas? its not 16 gbs xD not saying you cant do it, and not saying it will cause problems. just saying you can spend less and be fine.

@OuterMarker - definitely don't combine a NAS and firewall just as @beavo451 said. @reddemonoverlord - FreeNAS is a memory hog, so there are NAS solutions that would eat that up.

That Atom might be just fine for a firewall, but it will be working hard on a NAS - but it will work.