connecting 8 batteries in series and parallel

I have 8 batteries @ 1.2 volts each, and I want to reach 4.8 volts, but use all the batteries.  can I put 4 of them in series to double the voltage and then do the same thing with the other 4 and then connect those 2 sets of 4 in parallel to double the capacity?  look at the image below for how I would do it, I just don't know what terminals I would use to connect this set of 8 batteries to my circuit.

circuit.png

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

Connect to the largest red/black wires, it should charge both packs. Be sure to add a diode in the circuit from the panel to the batteries so the batteriesndont backfeed the panel. Also we have a hobby electronics subforum now :)

you'd connect the positive lead from the solar panel to the middle of the red wire, the negative lead the the middle of the black wire.

¢υѕтσм ℓσσρ σя ησтнιηg αт αℓℓ

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Connect to the largest red/black wires, it should charge both packs. Be sure to add a diode in the circuit from the panel to the batteries so the batteriesndont backfeed the panel. Also we have a hobby electronics subforum now :)

Just now, Codyman125 said:

you'd connect the positive lead from the solar panel to the middle of the red wire, the negative lead the the middle of the black wire.

do i need diodes for both positive and negative wires? and would it be like this?

circuit.png

If all batts are in series the voltage is constant and the amps will double. If in parallel the volts increase and amps stay the same. Example 2 batts (2v and 1 amp a piece) Both batts in series would give you 2v but at 2amps on the entire circuit. If in parallel the circuit would be 4v but 1 amp. I'm pretty sure that's how it works, ill double check with our electricians to be sure

Your probably going to have to do a series and parallel to achieve what your looking for.

1 minute ago, littlepigboy5 said:

do i need diodes for both positive and negative wires? and would it be like this?

circuit.png

Isn't that only a 2.4v setup... I thought he needs 4.8??? Or have i completely forgot all the workings of electrical

3 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

circuit.png

You only need a diode on one of the wires, do it on the positive one, silver stripe on the battery side

Just now, The_KIASER said:

Isn't that only a 2.4v setup... I thought he needs 4.8??? Or have i completely forgot all the workings of electrical

should be 4, each battery is 1.2, four of them in series will be 4.8 2 sets of 4 in parallel will be 4.8v with double the capacity.

I'll ask our Aircraft Electricians and get back ASAP...

I'm pretty sure you would have to wire up 2aa's in series, make 4 of those, then wire all together in parallel to achieve 4.8v...

again i need to double check this, give me a bit

16 minutes ago, littlepigboy5 said:

circuit.png

I'm Wrong.... Electricians verified this diagram is correct... My bad...

Useful tip I've just been relearned on...

PVC= parallel/ voltage constant

SAC= series/ amperage constant

On 3/14/2016 at 7:11 PM, littlepigboy5 said:

circuit.png

This will work, just add a diode in series with the solar panel between the batteries and solar panel so you don't have current flowing into the solar panel :)

Hope this helps