N00B question

GeorgeKellow
Go to solution Solved by KaasKop,

power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > hard disk > turn off hard disk after > bingo!

My os is on a samsung 850 evo SSD so I don't use my harddrive until I download something (I save most of my shit onto my harddrive)

Is there anyway to turn it off? until I need it at least

Unplug...

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

you can disconnect it. that's the only way to really "shut it off" but if you save most of your stuff to it, it will be a pain to keep doing that. best option is to just leave it be.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Just now, Charcoal_ said:

Unplug...

I didn't wan to keep opening up my case to plug it in when I want to download 

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

My os is on a samsung 850 evo SSD so I don't use my harddrive until I download something (I save most of my shit onto my harddrive)

Is there anyway to turn it off? until I need it at least

There is no need to turn it off. its power consumption is negligible.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Just now, NTF5252 said:

There is no need to turn it off. its power consumption is negligible.

Its the sound of it spinning when I don't need it too?

a very good number of consumer motherboards don't support hot-swap hard drives, so unplugging it is pretty much out of the question, since being able to use it again would require a restart of your computer.

A thread very similar to this one came up not too long ago, but for the life of me I can't recall what the solution was, or if a legitimate one was ever even reached. If you're that concerned about the noise it makes, then just drop it on some rubber washers when mounting it to further reduce vibration noise. If it's not reading/writing then it shouldn't really even make any tangible noise unless your ears are pressed up against your side-panel.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

5 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I'm pretty sure there's a setting in Windows power management to set HDDs to go to sleep when they're not being used. I'm typing this on a laptop which has a 120GB SSD and a 750GB HDD, the HDD definitely isn't spinning right now as it's not being used. 

Found it: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Hard Disk > Turn Off Hard Disk After

Hope that helps :) . 

You can go into Windows Power Management and set the HDD to spin down when it's not being used.

Unplugging is your best bet to "turn it off" but I don't think you can power them down software-wise unless what @Matt100HP works (I've never tried it).

Otherwise if you just don't want to see it you could always unmount it and remount it with a script to make it easier.

http://superuser.com/questions/704870/mount-and-dismount-hard-drive-through-a-script-software

Step 1- Run (the thing to launch programs and so on)

Step 2- Cute a hole in th... Errr..

Step 3- Type this in: diskmgmt.msc

Step 4- Find your hard drive

Step 5- Right click and take offline

ez lyfe.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

6 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

build a system and throw this hard disk in, put it in another room and access it as a NAS

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > hard disk > turn off hard disk after > bingo!

CPU: Intel i5-3470

GPU: MSI GTX 780