New network setup for my parents home

I probably should've made them myself, I do all sorts of wiring like arcade cabs, PCB trace repair and the sort - I probably could've made my own and saved money!!!! 

And to tell you the truth, you're right.. I was using CAT5 and some CAT5e cables and I only had maybe a 0.2-0.3 Mbps improvement as far as download speed. I can't remember if the ping was any better but at least the cables are there for improvement (if any at all)...

So now I'm getting the notion that I should probably go and get myself a reel of ethernet wiring and make my own cables, then return the ones I bought from Microcenter lol.. get my money BACK

And I probably will get one of those Ubiquity AP's, they seem highly recommended so why not

actually scratch that, when I outfit my apartment (when the time comes) with routers and access points -- and possibly redo my parents house.. THEN i'll get a nice reel of 1000ft CAT5e or CAT6 cable for like $100 with a tester and a crimper off amazon. Then that'll leave me plenty plenty cable for DIRT cheap

I must have spent about $40 worth of CAT6 cables and a coupler right now

Ok so I'm in between the Ubiquitis LR and PRO models

PRO would be ideal, so perhaps I may wait a couple months (or sell a few things) until I buy one. In the meantime I've just configured my old Belkin N750 as an access point. Didn't get to test it yet honestly but I did in fact set it up (took a few tries) to at least connect my phone to the router 

Now I at least have an idea how to setup routers into access points, however this one was funky, there was already an option and all I had to do was change the 2.4/5ghz passwords to my liking and then select "use as access point" in the router IP site.. Let's see how this turns out tonight when I actually get to test it

heck, if it works out well, maybe I'll leave it as is for now and get a Ubi AP later on

So the Belkin N750 router set up as an access point works pretty well for now. I've placed it in my living room somewhat dead center of my house in a corner. It's about 2-1/2 to 3 feet off the ground right now and soon I will raise it higher onto a bookshelf.

I haven't really tested it outside in my patio/backyard, but so far upstairs and downstairs I get pretty good (full bar) service. Some areas are more snappy than others but that makes sense as some routers are unpredictable as to how where their wifi can be picked up better

Outside in front of my house in my car I get 2 bars from my 6S so, that's not bad. I'm sure the Ubi UAP PRO will definitely be the best way to go all together. Once I get one I will update this thread!