Need Suggestions on VR Capable Graphics Cards

MeM

Hi, I wanted to know if there is any graphics cards between $175 and $250 that could support a Vive VR headset. With my current Radeon 270X I got a score in the deep red zone on the VR performance test which was a little strange because the lowest the FPS hit was 88 FPS. Also my A8 6600K CPU is VR ready which seems strange because it is a 2 physical, 4 w/ hyperthreading CPU. 

Under the gtx970, vr will be really difficult

For that kind of budget I would try to get my hands on a used graphics card. You can get amazing deals if you do a little bit of research.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Do you already have the vive?  If not, have you looked at the price?  If you're worried about your GPU budget I don't think you'll be able to afford the headset itself.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Uhmmm GTX 580?

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

1 minute ago, LokiFire said:

Uhmmm GTX 580?

Lets figure out what's with your scores before we go suggesting this to people ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Lets figure out what's with your scores before we go suggesting this to people ;)

#threadjumpingop

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

GTX 970 AND HIGHER

TITAN SERIES GPU

HIGH END AMD HD7950 AND HIGHER , 290X AND HIGHER 380X AND HIGHER 

and thats to run shit on high settings

u can get away with allot lower end hardware to get a solid 30fps and have the games at lower settings

6 hours ago, LokiFire said:

Uhmmm GTX 580?

If VR really does benefit hugely from compute power, it may have been a mistake on nvidia's part to sacrifice the compute power of newer cards for other things.  We may see a big jump for the pascal cards though since apparently they are going to be much better at this.  It also may explain why the requirements are so high - maybe it really isn't all that  graphically demanding, but only the highest end cards have the compute power needed since they've been cut back so much in that department.

14 hours ago, El Diablo said:

HIGH END AMD HD7950 AND HIGHER , 290X AND HIGHER 380X AND HIGHER 

and thats to run shit on high settings

u can get away with allot lower end hardware to get a solid 30fps and have the games at lower settings

The minimum amd cards for vr are the 290/390 anything lower and you wont get the framefrates needed to run games smoothly. VR also needs high refresh rates of about 60 to 90hz to prevent motion sickness. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness 

it is explained under the theries section. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

you want an R9 290 or higher

on the NVIDIA side GTX 970 or higher

VR isn't really for someone on a tight budget. While a 970 will work, it won't be the most ideal card. VR is much more demanding than regular desktop gaming. You need to drive a high resolution at high frame rates.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

For VR to run smoothly, 90fps is needed for not making you motion sick. You have to have at least GTX 970 or R9 390 to be able to run VR games to what they intended it to run. Running on low settings is not going to make you feel better. 

I would suggest you to shell out a little more money and get a GTX 970 or R9 390, and then again start saving for the VR headset, it's going to be a long journey, considering the prices of the Oculus Rift and HTX Vive are $600 and $800 respectively.

Youtube Gaming Channel : International Gaming Forum (IGF) : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3kAr9J4RlOjuRVmoBRu5fQ

Intel Core i7 6700k   I   Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 Motherboard   I   Gskill Ripjaws V F4 3000Mhz 16GB RAM   I   Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming   I   Samsung 850 Evo M.2 SSD

I   Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SATA SSD   I   Seagate 4TB Mechanical HDD   I   Antec H2O 1250 CPU Liquid Cooler   I   NZXT Source 530 Full Tower Chassis   I   Mad Catz Cyborg V7 Gaming Keyboard   

I   Mad Catz M.M.O.T.E Gaming Mouse   I     So Basically, Oculus Ready!

I'm not really sure why you're thinking about VR with specs like that. Most people with mid to high end builds aren't even thinkng about it. VR is still for the 1%ers atm.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit