What to do with 3x1tb drives?

Hello all,

Firstly I'm new to the forums; I didn't know a better place to go ask my questions! Second, I'm working on my first NAS. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it though, nor do I have a lot to spend. I currently have an old AMD machine I'll be re-purposing for the project and 3 1TB WD Black drives that I had kicking around, one of which is still within it's return period. I bought a third with the intention of just rocking RAID 5, but after a ton of research it isn't suggested. 

My intent is to use the system for bulk storage for video editing. My new idea is to run my 3 1TB drives in RAID 0 and then set a new 3tb drive to periodically back them up for minor redundancy. I have 2 out of the 3 drives filled and an external as well, so I need to maximize space, yet I know RAID can be unreliable if used improperly. Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get the most out of my 3 drives, and what I can do to better future proof myself? I can get any info you need on the system if need be. 

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Kalout said:

Hello all,

Firstly I'm new to the forums; I didn't know a better place to go ask my questions! Second, I'm working on my first NAS. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it though, nor do I have a lot to spend. I currently have an old AMD machine I'll be re-purposing for the project and 3 1TB WD Black drives that I had kicking around, one of which is still within it's return period. I bought a third with the intention of just rocking RAID 5, but after a ton of research it isn't suggested. 

My intent is to use the system for bulk storage for video editing. My new idea is to run my 3 1TB drives in RAID 0 and then set a new 3tb drive to periodically back them up for minor redundancy. I have 2 out of the 3 drives filled and an external as well, so I need to maximize space, yet I know RAID can be unreliable if used improperly. Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get the most out of my 3 drives, and what I can do to better future proof myself? I can get any info you need on the system if need be. 

Thanks!

You definitely don't want to use hard drives in such close proximity to each other for such extended periods unless their NAS or server drives. For the 3 1tb's, I say put em in your rig or in external enclosures.

ASU