Is 60Hz okay?

Shantanu_PC

Hey I was looking to buy 2 24inch BenQ monitors.
They will be 60Hz 1080p monitors with 2ms GTG response time.

Will these monitors suffice me ?
I will be playing games and some music and video production.
Is 1080p good enough. Is 60Hz adequate?

4 minutes ago, Shantanu_PC said:

Hey I was looking to buy 2 24inch BenQ monitors.
They will be 60Hz 1080p monitors with 2ms GTG response time.

Yes 1080p is perfect and for your second question yes... sort of if your have a really good pc then no but 60Hz means that is can display frame rates of up to 60 fps

I have an Anet A8 as my project printer and a i3 MK3 for when I want things to work. 

I extrude my own filament and haven't saved a penny yet.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 8700k

Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8GB) DDR4-3200

GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition (OC'd)

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate 5400RPM, 128GB ADATA SSD

Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750w  B2

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15. 3 Intake Fans, 2 Outtake

Case: Fractal Design Define R6

depends on what type of games you play :P

FPS benefit from higher "Hz" but some don't care

Adventure games may benefit but it's not the focus so it's not as important

Shipping sucks

4 minutes ago, VoyexTech said:

Yes 1080p is perfect and for your second question yes... sort of if your have a really good pc then no but 60Hz means that is can display frame rates of up to 60 fps

My elgato anyway records at 1080 60, so what kind of gains will I have switching over to 120 or 144.
I was also thinking of overclocking to 75Hz.
In my country a good 1080p 144Hz monitor is around 500 dollars

If I'm not wrong, you live in India, which means displays are overpriced to begin with, and a 1440p display or a 144Hz 1080p display will break the bank.

Needless to say, unless you have a hell of a rig, stick with 1080p 60hz. It's also an optimal resolution for content consumption, as most videos on the internet are still at a resolution of 1920*1080, which doesn't look great on a 1440p monitor, especially one that exceeds a size of 27 inches.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

1 minute ago, GSTARR said:

depends on what type of games you play :P

FPS benefit from higher "Hz" but some don't care

Adventure games may benefit but it's not the focus so it's not as important

I was looking for an overall benefit, that is in all sorts of games.
FPS at 60Hz will be fine ?
Cause on locked 30Hz console, FPS still feels great.

Just now, Shantanu_PC said:

I was looking for an overall benefit, that is in all sorts of games.
FPS at 60Hz will be fine ?
Cause on locked 30Hz console, FPS still feels great.

same, that's why I don't mind 60fps alone. Although I've heard that for csgo and other things like it 144Hz is pretty damn good

Shipping sucks

12 minutes ago, Shantanu_PC said:

it really depends on your expectation, but 2 24-inch 1080p monitor is more than enough for me

12 minutes ago, Shantanu_PC said:

depends on the game you play,

for casual, slow paced games (RPG), 60Hz is fine

for fast paced games (FPS), the higher the better

14 minutes ago, Shantanu_PC said:

for content creation (that involves graphic), i recommend you get a monitor with IPS panel

the colour accuracy would aid you in your video production, TN colour just isnt suitable for the job

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, GSTARR said:

same, that's why I don't mind 60fps alone. Although I've heard that for csgo and other things like it 144Hz is pretty damn good

Linus did a video about 2 years ago I think on NCIX where he blind tested a normal gamer, He was never able to figure out the refresh rate. I've watched some similar videos recently and those people were able to recognize the difference.
So what should I opt for.
I mean the monitors will be powered by a high end POLARIS or PASCAL GPU. And also Internet sucks in India, not because of speed but because of FUP limitations.

3 minutes ago, Shantanu_PC said:

Linus did a video about 2 years ago I think on NCIX where he blind tested a normal gamer, He was never able to figure out the refresh rate. I've watched some similar videos recently and those people were able to recognize the difference.
I mean the monitors will be powered by a high end POLARIS or PASCAL GPU. And also Internet sucks in India, not because of speed but because of FUP limitations.

any monitor above 60hz these days cost more than a decent gpu, i wouldnt recomend you go that route unless its necessary

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

for content creation (that involves graphic), i recommend you get a monitor with IPS panel

the colour accuracy would aid you in your video production, TN colour just isnt suitable for the job

Actually the monitors will only be there for about 1 - 1.5 yrs and then I will be going to college.
I would probably leave those monitors at home and not sell them.
I also have a LCD which I modded so that only I with polarized glasses can see.
Will the 2 TN pannels be better or 1 TN and 1 IPS.

1 minute ago, Shantanu_PC said:

Actually the monitors will only be there for about 1 - 1.5 yrs and then I will be going to college.
I would probably leave those monitors at home and not sell them.
I also have a LCD which I modded so that only I with polarized glasses can see.
Will the 2 TN pannels be better or 1 TN and 1 IPS.

if you plan to game on both,

unless they're the same refresh rate, the gpu will run at the lower refresh rate iirc

but if you're using both for different task, 1 TN and 1 IPS would get you the best of both worlds :D 

My problem with the 1 TN and 1 IPS is that the second monitor will be at an angle towards the Left hand side. Will the TN be better or IPS be better in centre?

3 minutes ago, Shantanu_PC said:

My problem with the 1 TN and 1 IPS is that the second monitor will be at an angle towards the Left hand side. Will the TN be better or IPS be better in centre?

well... i would set it up so that i can view it without an offset angle

but if you have to choose which one to view at an angle, the IPS should be the candidate since the colour doesnt shift 

I personally find image quality a lot more important refresh rate. No point having high refresh rates if the picture's poop :) I've tried all sorts of TN, IPS and VA panels and in the end I'm using a cheap £180 Samsung 32" TV with a VA panel. For the price it's mental, average input lag, only 1080p/60HZ but this things got a 3800:1 contrast ratio (without DCR). So juicy, dark scenes are so dark and colours just pop. It's beautiful for the price, I've paid more for monitors with worse image quality.

4 hours ago, Shantanu_PC said:

hey man, you got the money, get some 100+- Hz IPS monitors

IPS = worth it

Hz = worth it if you're willing to fork over extra

Shipping sucks

I think this should be depended of how many frames you get within the game itself, if you use vSync then its the best to buy 60Hz monitor, but if you get more than 60FPS per game for example 100FPS in all games you play or 144FPS then its best to go with 100 or 144Hz monitor..

But I think 144Hz monitor is good.