100% gpu usage, but temps are lowering and low fps

DonkeyChainsaw

Hi everyone,

At the moment i have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 (1,5GB 192-bit OEM).

I already have it for about 1 and a half years now and it was working fine untill today.

In the moring i was playing a few games of World of Tanks and some Assassin's Creed and everything was working at a solid 60 and 40 fps.
But this afternoon when i started up World of Tanks again it was working at only 10 fps (even the mouse was jumping across the screen) after about 2-3 minutes it went back to 60 for about 30 seconds, just to drop back to 10 after that.

I thought that this might had to do with the update that was released the same day, but when i tested Assassin's Creed Black Flag the same thing happened.

So i started up MSI afterburner and monitored the gpu. And then i noticed that something weird was going on. The gpu usage in game was going up to 100% but the gpu temps were dropping and the fan did not get any louder as it should normally. What is going on? Yesterday i downloaded the new Nvidia driver but i also played that evening and this morning and i did not had any problems then. What should i do? (By the way: The cpu is running normal as it should)

PC specs:

CPU: Intel i5 4460 3,2 Ghz (not overclocked)

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 (1,5GB 192-bit OEM)

RAM: 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz
MOBO: MS-7848 (don't bother to look for this thing because no info can be found)

PSU: FSP group 450 watt

Nvidia driver: 364.51

Roll back drivers. The last one is bloody terrible

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

15 minutes ago, Dabasepc said:

you might have a bitcoin miner or similar idk. run a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan. it's free. https://www.malwarebytes.org/

This happened to me no joke

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

10 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

This happened to me no joke

Really, but where can you find the programme? Or even better, how do you get rid of it?

48 minutes ago, Dabasepc said:

you might have a bitcoin miner or similar idk. run a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan. it's free. https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Status update:

I have been running the scan and it detected 144 potential dangerous files. I have removed those and for now everything is running normal again.
I am still scanning with AVG at this point and i am deleting some files that are old or that i don't remember installing. 

I'll let you know if it stays the same.

Thanks for now!

On 3/10/2016 at 1:34 PM, DonkeyChainsaw said:

Status update:

I have been running the scan and it detected 144 potential dangerous files. I have removed those and for now everything is running normal again.
I am still scanning with AVG at this point and i am deleting some files that are old or that i don't remember installing. 

I'll let you know if it stays the same.

Thanks for now!

Welcome!