Decent GPU for 2560x1080 setup?

Murasaki

Okay so I'm still not sure what GPU to get. My plans are a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor and keep my A8 6600k. I might roll out higher end GPUs like R9 390/GTX970ish and maybe go a bit more subtle. Gaming here and there but nothing really intense. Mostly Source Filmmaker, Editing and programming. Got any ideas for something on the midrange scale that will serve me some good enough performance?

I am still rocking a 7970 for my 21:9 Gaming setup. It does everything pretty well, especially if it's just light gaming.

I only just bought a 980 Ti, mostly because I wanted overkill and it has "The Division" for free, and I'm thinking about selling my 7970 / 280X for about 200€ - not trying to sell to you, just giving you the pricerange for used ones that still run every new game quite alright.

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

3 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Okay so I'm still not sure what GPU to get. My plans are a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor and keep my A8 6600k. I might roll out higher end GPUs like R9 390/GTX970ish and maybe go a bit more subtle. Gaming here and there but nothing really intense. Mostly Source Filmmaker, Editing and programming. Got any ideas for something on the midrange scale that will serve me some good enough performance?

well the 390 is a good option... can drives most games above 60 fps too with sliders to the max

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, ModuleLFS said:

yeah 380x but you are gonna bottleneck for sure

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

A GTX 970/980 is usually a standard choice for these setups..

You can  manage with something cheaper but it is a lot wiser to go with the 970, looking at FPS/dollar

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, kichilron said:

I am still rocking a 7970 for my 21:9 Gaming setup. It does everything pretty well, especially if it's just light gaming.

I only just bought a 980 Ti, mostly because I wanted overkill and it has "The Division" for free, and I'm thinking about selling my 7970 / 280X for about 200€ - not trying to sell to you, just giving you the pricerange for used ones that still run every new game quite alright.

The 980ti should be getting you 4K to a certain extent right?  

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

970/390 will do you well. 390 will give you more VRAM to play with, though.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

If you can afford a 970 / 390, they'll be great cards. By reducing one setting or another, I'm happy with the 970 at 1440p, so you should very well be at 2560x1080.

But if you can't, the 380x is also cheaper option.

Honestly, I'd invest in the higher end cards and start saving to ditch that APU as soon as Zen / Kaby lake comes out. That's what I'd do if I was you.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

3 hours ago, Imakuni said:

If you can afford a 970 / 390, they'll be great cards. By reducing one setting or another, I'm happy with the 970 at 1440p, so you should very well be at 2560x1080.

But if you can't, the 380x is also cheaper option.

Honestly, I'd invest in the higher end cards and start saving to ditch that APU as soon as Zen / Kaby lake comes out. That's what I'd do if I was you.

380x looks like a good choice but at the end im just being dumb not wanting to spend a little more money. 

While I save up more, the new cpus will be out too so yeah.