Oversized NAS

I just built my intended NAS machine. (Intel g3258 and 6 3tb wd reds to boot along with a 120gb 830 EVO)

And I would like to know how to set It up with the software and how to get it on my network for my house to use.

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

btw i am also giving the NAS a UPS -will that change anything- im doing this because the data i plan to store on this -nobody else in my house data- CANNOT GET LOST!

Just now, Joeyfla95 said:

btw i am also giving the NAS a UPS -will that change anything- im doing this because the data i plan to store on this -nobody else in my house data- CANNOT GET LOST!

Nope, UPS is completely separate from the OS since your computer just plugs in to it.

Just now, cdsboy2000 said:

Nope, UPS is completely separate from the OS since your computer just plugs in to it.

ok just wondering

17 minutes ago, Joeyfla95 said:

You may need to configure the OS to automatically shut down once the UPS is below a certain battery percentage. Not sure if FreeNAS does this by default as i tend to build my NAS OS's from scratch.

20 minutes ago, Joeyfla95 said:

ok just wondering

3 minutes ago, F4S4K4N said:

You may need to configure the OS to automatically shut down once the UPS is below a certain battery percentage. Not sure if FreeNAS does this by default as i tend to build my NAS OS's from scratch.

FreeNAS supports NUT, so yes, it supports UPS's. You enable the UPS service, select the appropriate driver (when you buy a UPS make sure it's compatible with FreeNAS -- most APC/CyberPower Units are), and then select the behavior you want (run until battery is low and then shutdown, or shutdown after x seconds, etc...). 

@Joeyfla95 What motherboard and RAM do you have? Is it ECC? If you plan on using FreeNAS (and you care about your data -- which you seem to), then you NEED to use ECC memory. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

FreeNAS supports NUT, so yes, it supports UPS's. You enable the UPS service, select the appropriate driver (when you buy a UPS make sure it's compatible with FreeNAS -- most APC/CyberPower Units are), and then select the behavior you want (run until battery is low and then shutdown, or shutdown after x seconds, etc...). 

@Joeyfla95 What motherboard and RAM do you have? Is it ECC? If you plan on using FreeNAS (and you care about your data -- which you seem to), then you NEED to use ECC memory. 

Full specs include as follows

Intel g3258

6 3tb WD reds

an 830 evo 120gb ssd to boot.

16gb of intelligent memory ECC ram.-i did this only for the purpose of limiting RAM errors.

MOBO Gigabyte z97 board,

oh and im planning to run a RAID 5 Array with an LSI card i bought.

3 minutes ago, Joeyfla95 said:

Full specs include as follows

Intel g3258

6 3tb WD reds

an 830 evo 120gb ssd to boot.

16gb of intelligent memory ECC ram.-i did this only for the purpose of limiting RAM errors.

MOBO Gigabyte z97 board,

ECC memory doesn't work on consumer boards (you'd need a server chipset -- C222, C224, or C226) in order for ECC memory to actually utilize ECC features.

I would highly recommend replacing the motherboard. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

ECC memory doesn't work on consumer boards (you'd need a server chipset -- C222, C224, or C226) in order for ECC memory to actually utilize ECC features.

I would highly recommend replacing the motherboard. 

Then what would you reccomend as the cheapest option that supports ECC

3 minutes ago, Joeyfla95 said:

Then what would you reccomend as the cheapest option that supports ECC

Are you in the US? Pretty much any C222, C224, or C226 chipset board will be good (Supermicro, Asrock, or Asus are generally who makes those boards). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Are you in the US? Pretty much any C222, C224, or C226 chipset board will be good (Supermicro, Asrock, or Asus are generally who makes those boards). 

il go cheap and go with an asrock something. thanks for your help.

23 minutes ago, Joeyfla95 said:

oh and im planning to run a RAID 5 Array with an LSI card i bought.

FreeNAS uses ZFS, you would be much better off with an HBA instead of a RAID card and doing something like RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 in ZFS.

For a NAS. Save the money and don't worry about ECC and a mb that supports it. Google ECC vs Non-ECC memory for NAS applications. A few major companies did large scale studies of the advantages for data storage. ECC protects against invalid data blocks in active ram, the benefits to this are only seen at extreme usage points.

The most recent of the studies from SolidFire shows that until you move up to a system that is pushing consistent data access in the 12-15 Gbps from storage that you will not see a benefit to the usage of ECC. And trust me when I say, that is a ton of data access. Working previously in the big data field we would only see cluster obtain that usage when crunch a large data set in the 20-25 TB range from 100 nodes in a 100% commodity setup where we didn't want to pay the extra for SANs. 

16 minutes ago, Xhypno402 said:

For a NAS. Save the money and don't worry about ECC and a mb that supports it. Google ECC vs Non-ECC memory for NAS applications. A few major companies did large scale studies of the advantages for data storage. ECC protects against invalid data blocks in active ram, the benefits to this are only seen at extreme usage points.

The most recent of the studies from SolidFire shows that until you move up to a system that is pushing consistent data access in the 12-15 Gbps from storage that you will not see a benefit to the usage of ECC. And trust me when I say, that is a ton of data access. Working previously in the big data field we would only see cluster obtain that usage when crunch a large data set in the 20-25 TB range from 100 nodes in a 100% commodity setup where we didn't want to pay the extra for SANs. 

ECC is INCREDIBLY important if he cares about the integrity of his data (which he does) ESPECIALLY if he's using ZFS. In Windows Server you use ECC to prevent downtime and sudden crashes, in ZFS you use ECC to prevent the data itself from being corrupted. It's important to understand the distinction between the two, and running FreeNAS without ZFS is just asking for trouble. Think of ECC memory in a FreeNAS server to a high end RAID card in a Windows Server -- sure you don't need one with a battery backup or ECC memory....unless you care at all about your data. There is a reason why RAID cards use ECC memory and in FreeNAS you're running software RAID, and thus RAM does all the work that the memory on a RAID card normally would. 

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/ecc-vs-non-ecc-ram-and-zfs.15449/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

ECC is INCREDIBLY important if he cares about the integrity of his data (which he does) ESPECIALLY if he's using ZFS. In Windows Server you use ECC to prevent downtime and sudden crashes, in ZFS you use ECC to prevent the data itself from being corrupted. It's important to understand the distinction between the two, and running FreeNAS without ZFS is just asking for trouble. Think of ECC memory in a FreeNAS server to a high end RAID card in a Windows Server -- sure you don't need one with a battery backup or ECC memory....unless you care at all about your data. There is a reason why RAID cards use ECC memory and in FreeNAS you're running software RAID, and thus RAM does all the work that the memory on a RAID card normally would. 

the raid cards meant to use R5 so IF a drive fails -unlikely- i can replace it easily. and not suffer data loss

20 minutes ago, Xhypno402 said:

everybody in my home stores their stuff on some form of external storage. the nas is meant to be The Hub of all the data.

20 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

plus the data is question. you will agree with me here, is critical -credit card nums, doctors records, job apps, .etc which is kinda mission critical since its all digital nowadays so i built the nas as a personal ¨cloud¨ for the house along with encrypted mission critical drives for the stuff. so i need ECC and RaID 5, and a ups because all this data CANNOT BE LOST! plus the wd reds are rated for 24/7 operation.

20 minutes ago, Joeyfla95 said:

the raid cards meant to use R5 so IF a drive fails -unlikely- i can replace it easily. and not suffer data loss

You don't want to be using RAID cards with FreeNAS as ZFS (FreeNAS) wants complete visibility and control over the drives. The reason to use ZFS in the first place is it's excellent software RAID solution. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Actually you are very wrong in all of your statements.

1. ECC ram does not increase server stability. It increases data consistence for applications. ECC by no means now or ever has stopped a server from crashing Windows, Linux, BSD, or any.

2. Raid cards use ECC because ECC supports low voltage battery discharge while non-ECC does not. This allows highend raid cards to have a battery backup connected to the raid card to allow storage of data in memory till system power is restored to stop the loss of in flight writes.

3. The argument for ecc vs non-ecc has been a heated one with the freenas community. They have pushed for a long time that the use of non-ecc memory can kill a pool. This is also a misnomer.

ZFS was designed by SUN initially for Solaris on lower end sparc servers that did not use ECC as they wanted you to use their Sun Disk Arrays for primary data storage on their high end servers with ECC ram for application integrity. I worked for many years with large scale deployments of these at Affinity Internet as the backing for their high performance cluster shared hosting environments. The key to why the ECC memory was used with the app servers is with long standing data in memory there is a chance that data decay of a flipped bit can occur. This can be a major issue if the data that is being read is an in memory data base containing things like transnational data records or a static routing table for 100k websites.

ECC does not correct for the common cause of data corruption in memory which is multi-bit or word data errors. This is the type of error that will bork a pool or a strip, not a single bit. Yes with read/write throughput from ZFS the chance of memory corruption is higher, but as has been discovered in many test, the amount of ram usage has to be to multiple orders of magnitude higher then a common nas will see. 

You don't want to be using RAID cards with FreeNAS as ZFS (FreeNAS) wants complete visibility and control over the drives. The reason to use ZFS in the first place is it's excellent software RAID solution. 

i just want to offload stress on the RAM therefore i am using an LSI card

1 minute ago, Xhypno402 said:

Actually you are very wrong in all of your statements.

1. ECC ram does not increase server stability. It increases data consistence for applications. ECC by no means now or ever has stopped a server from crashing Windows, Linux, BSD, or any.

2. Raid cards use ECC because ECC supports low voltage battery discharge while non-ECC does not. This allows highend raid cards to have a battery backup connected to the raid card to allow storage of data in memory till system power is restored to stop the loss of in flight writes.

3. The argument for ecc vs non-ecc has been a heated one with the freenas community. They have pushed for a long time that the use of non-ecc memory can kill a pool. This is also a misnomer.

ZFS was designed by SUN initially for Solaris on lower end sparc servers that did not use ECC as they wanted you to use their Sun Disk Arrays for primary data storage on their high end servers with ECC ram for application integrity. I worked for many years with large scale deployments of these at Affinity Internet as the backing for their high performance cluster shared hosting environments. The key to why the ECC memory was used with the app servers is with long standing data in memory there is a chance that data decay of a flipped bit can occur. This can be a major issue if the data that is being read is an in memory data base containing things like transnational data records or a static routing table for 100k websites.

ECC does not correct for the common cause of data corruption in memory which is multi-bit or word data errors. This is the type of error that will bork a pool or a strip, not a single bit. Yes with read/write throughput from ZFS the chance of memory corruption is higher, but as has been discovered in many test, the amount of ram usage has to be to multiple orders of magnitude higher then a common nas will see. 

better safe then sorry m9.