GTX 780 Ti users forced to upgrade for "Ready" VR?

dfg666

Is that for the Steam VR test? If so, I would take any results with a pinch (or a handful) of salt. I've seen R9 280s marked as "ready" and 390s marked as "capable". 

My system is marked as "capable" with SLI Titan Blacks, so I don't think the test is particularly reliable. 

290X is a much better piece of hardware. Drivers were holding it back 2 years ago. That is no longer the case.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

dont forget theres no actual real way to test what they are claiming as vr ready cuz its not a thing yet its more of a suggestion

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

My system is marked as "capable" with SLI Titan Blacks, so I don't think the test is particularly reliable. 

According to steam and the comments, it seems sli is not testing right, or to be more precise, it fucks up.

Im running a GTX 780 Ti and it passed the RIFT combatibility test , currently getting a second GTX 780 ti

haven't run the steam vr test yet as im installing watercooling on it.

I wouldnt trust the VR test at all

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It is a synthetic benchmark after all. In the case that some of you guys are insistent on spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on VR equipment, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to put some money to the side in case you need to upgrade after testing an actual VR title. 

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

11 minutes ago, JorithZ said:

According to steam and the comments, it seems sli is not testing right, or to be more precise, it fucks up.

At default, it doesn't use more than 1 GPU. If you use the -multigpu launch command, it puts load on multiple cards, but the scores don't change at all. Who knows what the load on the second GPU is. It just seems to be artificial load from what I can tell. 

3 minutes ago, Crowes said:

It is a synthetic benchmark after all. In the case that some of you guys are insistent on spending hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on VR equipment, I'm sure it wouldn't be too much trouble to put some money to the side in case you need to upgrade after testing an actual VR title. 

This 100%, it doesnt mean anything at all, you can probably just lower your settings and run VR just fine even on an older PC

Unless the "test" PREVENTS you from running VR, all it is, is a number generator for epeen

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Synthetics barely tell jack shit about what a GPU can do, really. Thats why I personally skip any Firestrike, Heaven, basically synthetic benchmarks (even from games themselves like Tomb Raider 2013 or GTA:V) in pretty much every benchmark video posted. I usually find a really taxing part of the game and benchmark it myself to see how much is being pushed/pulled in terms of power.

2 hours ago, WynLore said:

(even from games themselves like Tomb Raider 2013 or GTA:V)

I'm pretty sure those are sequenced live timed based benchmarks aka hybrid benchmarks. They still can give an accurate result in overall performance especially GTA V's Jet and City cutscene due to stressing out CPU drawcalls.