Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered

Greetings fellow member of linustechtips , I am a new guy i don't know where to ask i hope i'm not making thread in wrong tag or place i'm really confuse and need assistance.

My PC is very old

G41M-ES2L

Intel Dual Core E5400 2,4ghz

2x 2gb RAM

VS550 watt power supply

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 5550 1gb ddr3

Windows 7 64bit

I've been using my PC fine for 7 years but i notice starting 3 years ago my GPU heat sink fan stopped spin when i turn on my PC, it has to be on windows desktop and i have to turn fan speed to 100% from MSI afterburner and sometimes i have to touch the fan a little to make it spin, but regardless it was fine until now. About 3 weeks ago my screen starting to flash and goes black and then return to normal with a warning "display driver has stopped responding and has recovered", at first i'm just ignoring this but as time goes by it goes worst. My pc will freeze and goes to black screen now, and when i restart my pc there is nothing except black screen and i have to wait like 10-15 minutes then i can turn on my PC, sometimes there is a BSOD after the freeze "Attempting to reset display driver from timeout failed" or "Video scheduler internal error". This problem happen randomly sometimes it happen 5 minute after i turn on my PC, when i browsing and watching youtube or video and playing video game like world of warcraft it is guarantee it will happen.

AMD has stopped making new driver for my GPU since 2 years ago, so theres no update for my display driver, i did try to reinstall my display driver, add the TDR setting in registry to 8 and 10, check my hard disk for error, unplug and test each of my RAM, all didn't work. My GPU have 46-50 degrees on idle and 60-80 degrees on gaming i don't know if that overheating, both CPU and GPU are at their default no overclock. People said to upgrade my bios but i don't think its the bios fault i've been using this bios for 7 years, people said its either RAM or PSU, i can't use memtest to test my RAM i don't have external USB or DVD/CD to use it, but i can use integrated graphics without any problem, i'm pretty sure its not my RAM or PSU. I think my GPU is failing but i'm really afraid if i buy a new GPU and it turns out that my PCIE express slot is damage and i have to change motherboard.

I have only 100 bucks. I'm only playing old games like World of Warcraft, Dota 2. And i don't really need high settings, i don't need anti aliasing. The only new game i can't play and i really want to play is Metro Last Light, Rise of Tomb Rider and Dragon Age inquisition.

Do you think my GPU is dying and i should get new one?? i'm thinking to get HIS Radeon 250x 2gb gddr5, can i use that GPU on my mobo??

Or is there any way to salvage and fix this situation?? i don't want to buy new parts if i can because my mobo and CPU is very old i will ended up bottleneck, and my case is very small i can't put GPU with dual fans in it.

Or you guys think its my PCIE slot/Motherboard damage??

honestly the first thing that comes to mind is your fan motor might be dying on your GPU or your GPU could be full of dust, so this is causing your gpu to overheat. Have you tried blowing on your GPU or using canned air on the heatsink to see if there is a bunch of dust in it? I honestly doubt its PCIe because PCIe slots rarely fail unless they are physically damaged. Does your mobo have another pcie 16x slot that you can try your GPU in for a few days and see if this behavior continues?

13 minutes ago, Jordaneer said:

honestly the first thing that comes to mind is your fan motor might be dying on your GPU or your GPU could be full of dust, so this is causing your gpu to overheat. Have you tried blowing on your GPU or using canned air on the heatsink to see if there is a bunch of dust in it? I honestly doubt its PCIe because PCIe slots rarely fail unless they are physically damaged. Does your mobo have another pcie 16x slot that you can try your GPU in for a few days and see if this behavior continues?

First thanks for the reply, i've been asking this on other forums and getting ignore/nobody reply.

I did remove the heat sink and clean the dust, still didn't work. My mobo only have 1 PCIE slots. Right now i'm using integrated graphics.

1 hour ago, Elkas said:

First thanks for the reply, i've been asking this on other forums and getting ignore/nobody reply.

I did remove the heat sink and clean the dust, still didn't work. My mobo only have 1 PCIE slots. Right now i'm using integrated graphics.

I got same this problem..update driver your graphics card ..after it's should not error message + You should Build Mod fan in your graphics card

- AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 Processor

- Asus Prime A320M-K ATX motherboard

- Zotac GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC Edition

- Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz Ram

- Corsair VS 550 power supply

- Kingston A400 240GB SSD

- 1TB WD BLUE HDD Hard Disk & Samsung 320GB HDD(7200RPM)

- CPU COOLER: Stock Cooler(AMD)

@Niraj The Great

AMD said they will not make anymore new driver for my GPU, they want encourage all people who still use low end GPU to buy new GPU. That's what they said in their driver download page. Besides i don't its the driver, i've been use that driver for 2 years. Should i use the Beta Crimson driver??

12 hours ago, Elkas said:

@Niraj The Great

AMD said they will not make anymore new driver for my GPU, they want encourage all people who still use low end GPU to buy new GPU. That's what they said in their driver download page. Besides i don't its the driver, i've been use that driver for 2 years. Should i use the Beta Crimson driver??

No..u have original driver..I think..it's time to get new Graphics card..recommended for nvidia graphics card.

I had this issue for months on my old PC which was running a i7 3770 CPU and Nvidia GTX 770 GPU so different hardware.

It was not a driver issue, it was a heat issue as I really pushed the limits of my hardwares use in demanding games at high FPS, I think the message comes up regarding to much heat and effectively the system shuts down, it's not as clear as that but that's what was logically left.

Install an FPS counter/ limiter, and check what you normally play at and then adjust down a bit via FPS limiter or change of settings, so theres less draw on the system, clean everything, reinstall everything and see how she runs.

But the system may simply be to dated and not powerful enough for your requirements.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

2 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

I had this issue for months on my old PC which was running a i7 3770 CPU and Nvidia GTX 770 GPU so different hardware.

It was not a driver issue, it was a heat issue as I really pushed the limits of my hardwares use in demanding games at high FPS, I think the message comes up regarding to much heat and effectively the system shuts down, it's not as clear as that but that's what was logically left.

Install an FPS counter/ limiter, and check what you normally play at and then adjust down a bit via FPS limiter or change of settings, so theres less draw on the system, clean everything, reinstall everything and see how she runs.

But the system may simply be to dated and not powerful enough for your requirements.

I suspect so i saw once when just Browsing mozilla firefox and watching youtube i saw a glimpse of my GPU temp from MSI afterburner before my screens black, its really shocking, from 56 degrees it suddenly spikes to 97 degrees and then my PC freeze and screen turns black, i immediately check my GPU fan heat sink thinking that it's stopped moving but its still spinning ....

I really don't understand what the hell happen ... last time i updated my drivers it was like 1 year ago, and whenever i try to check if there is new driver it always said that my driver is up to date, then i go to AMD site to download newest one but it give me the same driver that i currently use and and the page said we will not make any new driver and we encourage you to buy modern graphics card. So i do not mean to be rude guys, people always said to me to get new driver .... THERE ARE NONE ... excluding the crimson beta which i heard makes GPU too hot.

The problem is not happening at game, i mean its guarantee to happen at game i currently play World of Warcraft and Dead Space 2. It happen at browsing and watching video.

Im using integrated graphics now for 2 days waiting for someone to help and answer here so far so good even i watching 1 hour starcraft 2 tournament with no problem so it can't be my PSU or Memory.

I would just reccomend upgrading as when you have a system that old, parts will start failing left and right, and buying new 7 year old parts doesn't make sense. Even if you aren't a hardcore gamer get something like a 750 ti and i3-4170 and you should be fine. System won't cost much and you will be much happier as you won't have to worry about things breaking for a long while. Oh and the performance boost is huge.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

Yes upgrade the lot mate, there is no reasonable 'fix' long term for you that I can see. 

Many games are getting more demanding, and we users certainly are (well I am).

Don't be afraid of buying a complete second hand system as long as you can inspect and test, you should find a much better system for not alot of money.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

5 minutes ago, Festive said:

I would just reccomend upgrading as when you have a system that old, parts will start failing left and right, and buying new 7 year old parts doesn't make sense. Even if you aren't a hardcore gamer get something like a 750 ti and i3-4170 and you should be fine. System won't cost much and you will be much happier as you won't have to worry about things breaking for a long while. Oh and the performance boost is huge.

I wish i can really, life is hard in here, i don't have much money, i even hate myself a poor guy having a rich hobbies ...

My case is bad and small, im saving and planing to buy NZXT Phantom 530 its 200 dollar in my country, so i start putting good hardware there, i mean theres no point in buying good stuff if my case that bad. I rather buying something expensive and good rather than something cheap and bad, so im planning to start with getting good full tower case so i don't have to change it forever then i can slowly start getting new mobo and cpu. That's why im asking if there is a way to troubleshoot this without spending money.

It's that you have graphics card passive cooler?or fan?

38 minutes ago, Niraj The Great said:

It's that you have graphics card passive cooler?or fan?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102899

Thats my GPU. Runs very hot 46-50 degrees iddle and 70-80 on intense game like World of Warcraft. And like i mention before about 3 years ago the heat sink fans suddenly stopped spinning while im playing Dota 2 and game lag a lot and when i check MSI after buner the temp hit 106-107 degrees and it needs slight touch to the fan to start spinning again, this happen randomly in the middle of intense game.

This is the one i want to get

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202098

It has 2 fans i think it will be much cooler and have more life.

But its too long and it will hit one of my hardisk sata / psu cable, my case so small and dont have cable management and its 140 dollar its expensive.

So i have no choice but to get this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161448

Its 100 dollar im just afraid my mobo does not support it or it turns out my PCIE express is the one that failing ...

Please can anyone confirm if my mobo support both of that GPU ...

And this is my MOBO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

When you cleaned the heat-sink, did you re-apply the thermal paste?

46 minutes ago, David_K said:

When you cleaned the heat-sink, did you re-apply the thermal paste?

I did i use cooler master HTK-002 i use this on my CPU too. I still remember when i first buy the card it will spin the moment i turn on my PC, and now it won't even if i touch the fan, it need to be arrive at desktop so that MSI afterburner will force it to run at 100% fan speed.

3 hours ago, Elkas said:

I did i use cooler master HTK-002 i use this on my CPU too. I still remember when i first buy the card it will spin the moment i turn on my PC, and now it won't even if i touch the fan, it need to be arrive at desktop so that MSI afterburner will force it to run at 100% fan speed.

Hey!your motherboard is same as me..but differently ship G31..oh..do u want sure add more mod fan?please message in private ..I will teach how add mod fan..so I had this problem temperature increase about 40 to 53degrees in without fan..now with adding mod fan I got decrease in about 30 to 32..seriously u should add mod fan without sticking graphics card.here see pic I added mod fan with gpu..

fthfyh.jpg

Listen buddy, there is no way that is a smart purchase to buy that $200 case. The case I use is this:http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-spec-01-red-led-mid-tower-gaming-case and it is such a nice case and has great pricing. 

Here is something to keep in mind. When you dont have a much money, you cant afford to waste it.

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

U want use good case about 80 to 120$

4 hours ago, Festive said:

Listen buddy, there is no way that is a smart purchase to buy that $200 case. The case I use is this:http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-series-spec-01-red-led-mid-tower-gaming-case and it is such a nice case and has great pricing. 

Here is something to keep in mind. When you dont have a much money, you cant afford to waste it.

4 hours ago, Niraj The Great said:

U want use good case about 80 to 120$

I understand, its just i think if im gonna buy something i will buy a good one so i don't have to buy/change it again forever, i'm thinking a bout the future. And it's good looking too. Damn i really hate myself a poor guy having a rich guy hobby.

6 hours ago, Elkas said:

I understand, its just i think if im gonna buy something i will buy a good one so i don't have to buy/change it again forever, i'm thinking a bout the future. And it's good looking too. Damn i really hate myself a poor guy having a rich guy hobby.

Why?it's your gpu not fit to your case?can u show me pic?

Hey,if u buying gpu please don't buy gpu pci 3.0.because in your motherboard there only one pci1.1..means that can support GPU pci 1.0 to pci 2.0..if u buy gpu pic 3.0 and connected to your old motherboard,there will be crashed about to your mobo..

3 hours ago, Niraj The Great said:

Why?it's your gpu not fit to your case?can u show me pic?

I think my case is same as yours. Not i can't show pic, i don't have any device to take picture ..,

3 hours ago, Niraj The Great said:

Hey,if u buying gpu please don't buy gpu pci 3.0.because in your motherboard there only one pci1.1..means that can support GPU pci 1.0 to pci 2.0..if u buy gpu pic 3.0 and connected to your old motherboard,there will be crashed about to your mobo..

What are you sure?? i read here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1860642/gigabyte-motherboard-g41m-es2l-cards-support.html

Many people said PCIE express 3.0 is backward compatible and my mobo can support it, its just the matter of Power Supply. My PSU have two 8 pin connector for graphics card.

I just need confirmation here, i think in 3 days i'm gonna go to nearest shop and grab one of those i mention before, i want to be 100% sure, now that you said this i'm confuse now .....

16 hours ago, Elkas said:

I think my case is same as yours. Not i can't show pic, i don't have any device to take picture ..,

What are you sure?? i read here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1860642/gigabyte-motherboard-g41m-es2l-cards-support.html

Many people said PCIE express 3.0 is backward compatible and my mobo can support it, its just the matter of Power Supply. My PSU have two 8 pin connector for graphics card.

I just need confirmation here, i think in 3 days i'm gonna go to nearest shop and grab one of those i mention before, i want to be 100% sure, now that you said this i'm confuse now .....

Forget it..I don't think so u will get crashed..it's will be fine..go ahead..good luck buying gpu

16 hours ago, Elkas said:

it will work, just perhaps not as well as it should

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Thanks a lot guys, please wish me luck. I will be back in 3-5 days to post the result.