Fan Xpert 3 Question

CogitoErgoSum

Hello,

I have just built my first computer and have installed a Cooler Master V8 Gts to cool the cpu on a Maximus VIII Formula. There are two fan headers by the CPU, so rather than using the splitter cable that came with the cooler (it was quite unattractive), I have routed both of the fans individually to the nearest header to have a cleaner look. I'm currently trying to find out if I can have both fans be labeled as CPU fans in the software and to basically clone the CPU fan's operations onto the other header.

2 minutes ago, CogitoErgoSum said:

Hello,

I have just built my first computer and have installed a Cooler Master V8 Gts to cool the cpu on a Maximus VIII Formula. There are two fan headers by the CPU, so rather than using the splitter cable that came with the

finish your post before posting

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, CogitoErgoSum said:

Hello,

I have just built my first computer and have installed a Cooler Master V8 Gts to cool the cpu on a Maximus VIII Formula. There are two fan headers by the CPU, so rather than using the splitter cable that came with the

I assume your asking if you can use the CPU header and CPU_opt header to control the fans without a splitter?

That wouldn't work unfortunately since the CPU opt header is a full power 12V header and doesn't allow control from what I've seen on Asus boards unless it's a new fucntionality they enabled it should show up in AI suite to let you control the fans. 

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

finish your post before posting

It was an accident.

I ran into the same issue and decided to order some black fan splitters from NCIX which look much better. I know it's a pain to order little things like that if it's not available in your local area so I just grouped them with a few other odds and ends I needed.

36 minutes ago, W-L said:

I assume your asking if you can use the CPU header and CPU_opt header to control the fans without a splitter?

That wouldn't work unfortunately since the CPU opt header is a full power 12V header and doesn't allow control from what I've seen on Asus boards unless it's a new fucntionality they enabled it should show up in AI suite to let you control the fans. 

Well that's disappointing. I guess I can instead route the cable through under the cooling tower to take up a lot of the slack. Thanks for the help!

If you make your own fan profile instead of using the default profiles you can set up the two headers to behave the same. And you can rename the fans and select there location in fan expert too. 

4 minutes ago, CogitoErgoSum said:

How does one make their own fan profile?

In the AI suite software for Fan Xpert once you run the fan tuning option to detect the fans it will let you setup temperature based fan curves. As for the two fans your best bet would be a splitter to keep them running at the same speed pushing and pulling air through the rad. 

Make the changes you wish to any of the fan profiles and then click "save profile" at the bottom right and give it a name. You will not be able to save over the original Silent,Standard and Turbo profiles. 

So for example if you open silent profile and the only thing you change is the 2nd CPU fan profile and save it as "Custom Silent" then open stander and do the same then save as "Custom Standard" and all the other fans would stay the same as the default ones