Which thing is this??

1_thing
Go to solution Solved by TechFnatic,
3 minutes ago, 1_thing said:

So my internet is crap!! We almost bricked the router when 4 of us were using it!

and I want to hold a 24 hour LAN party with around 20 people!! What is it I need to buy for a good internal connection so we can all lan happily to each other?? 

Is it an access point?? I have no idea!

Thanks in advance

thing

You would probably want a switch so that you guys can all plug in via ethernet, that would be most efficient. Now if you were planning on doing this LAN party over the wireless network then yeah, an access point would work. Just a heads up 20 people is a lot and you should make sure you have enough bandwidth to support that so you guys don't lag your asses off.

So my internet is crap!! We almost bricked the router when 4 of us were using it!

and I want to hold a 24 hour LAN party with around 20 people!! What is it I need to buy for a good internal connection so we can all lan happily to each other?? 

Thanks in advance

thing

3 minutes ago, 1_thing said:

Thanks in advance

thing

You would probably want a switch so that you guys can all plug in via ethernet, that would be most efficient. Now if you were planning on doing this LAN party over the wireless network then yeah, an access point would work. Just a heads up 20 people is a lot and you should make sure you have enough bandwidth to support that so you guys don't lag your asses off.

2 minutes ago, TechFnatic said:

Ahhh okay it's just a switch I need!! That's good! Well the problem we had was we only had 4 Ethernet ports, but whoever was on Ethernet had no lag!! But people on wifi would die!

thanks

thing

For a LAN party, the most simple and effective solution is a switch (preferably Gigabit). 

An Access Point can work if you're connecting wirelessly, but cheaper ones aren't going to handle 20+ clients very well. 

EDIT: Just a note. If it's just LAN gaming, then you don't need the router at all. Just having everyone plugged into the switch would work. 

1 minute ago, 1_thing said:

Ahhh okay it's just a switch I need!! That's good! Well the problem we had was we only had 4 Ethernet ports, but whoever was on Ethernet had no lag!! But people on wifi would die!

thanks

thing

Yup,  switch is the way to go in your case! Have a great LAN party

Just now, TechFnatic said:

Yup,  switch is the way to go in your case! Have a great LAN party

Haha thanks! 

Its after our exams finish so it should be great!

thing

11 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

EDIT: Just a note. If it's just LAN gaming, then you don't need the router at all. Just having everyone plugged into the switch would work. 

Really? Isn't router the thing that gives every device on the network an IP address?

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

32 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Really? Isn't router the thing that gives every device on the network an IP address?

Strictly speaking, no. The router part of the modern router combo units (combination of router, switch, access point, DHCP Server, Firewall etc.) doesn't assign IP addresses, it just routes packets. The DHCP server is what actually gives each device an IP address from the assigned address pool. 

If you just use a switch, you can simply set each device's IP address manually. The switch uses the MAC address to identify each device that is connected, but once set up, you could use your manually set IP addresses to communicate. The router is only strictly needed to act as a gateway between your LAN and external networks, allowing multiple devices on the local network communicate with external networks via NAT. 

I'm not saying get rid of the router for the LAN party, just letting you know that the switch can handle it on its own. Once the IP addresses are set up, no data should actually be passing through the router (if the destination of the data is another PC connected to the switch).