Upgrade to X99?

Hey guys,

I currently have a i5 3570k @4.2 1.2V, a Asus P8Z77-V Pro and 8GB DRR3 1600 of RAM. I was thinking about selling this parts and upgrade to a i7 5820k, 16GB DDR4 of RAM and x99 board, which will cost ~200 USD extra. Should I do it?

I use my PC mainly for game and web browsing. I`m also rocking a GTX770, soon to be upgraded to a Pascal/Polaris card, and a 4k Monitor (Dell P2715Q). 

When I`m gaming, the CPU utilization hovers about 30-60%, depending on the game, but occasionally, there are some spikes to 80%.

Thanks in advance

For gaming you would be better off upgrading the GPU. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Yeah, I know, that what I go to do, when Polaris and Pascal launches. I was asking if it also worth to upgrade to x99.

3 minutes ago, LastThoughts said:

Yeah, I know, that what I go to do, when Polaris and Pascal launches. I was asking if it also worth to upgrade to x99.

early signs are that DX12 will prefer more cores. Might be worth saving more cash and upgrading to X99 when Broadwell-E drops.

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

If you plan to upgrade to Pascal and 4k then yeah... 5820k would be a good viable option. Second round of Skylake CPUs are coming out later this year as well, maybe bendgate issue will be fixed by then as well if you opt for that route.

Right now you'd get more out of Skylake i7 CPU than the 5820k as the Skylake CPUs have a bit better per core performance.

If you're not at least looking to do some moderate recording/rendering or streaming to twitch then the extra 2 cores/4 threads aren't going to make much of, if any, difference over a Skylake i7 for gaming.

What we've seen of DX12 have basically been just a few tech demos and quite possibly are just the ones that make DX12 look good.

AMD's Mantle was supposed to do some of the same things as DX12 and had some impressive sounding demos but overall the gains from it we saw in the real world when Mantle supported games were released were pretty minor.