Google fiber

stan92

1. When did Google fiber come out?

2. What are typical speeds of it?

3. Where is it avaliable?

4. How much does it cost?

5. Which ISP hosts it like telstra / internode etc?

1. A while ago

2. Fast

3. Not where you are, soz

4. $60 USD/mo

5. Google.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

1. Google fibre has been rolling out for just under a year

2. Promised speeds are gigabit down, not sure of the upload but people are getting 800Mbps with a fibre connection

3. Check here to see availability https://fiber.google.com/cities/#header=check

4. 70 a month or a one time connection fee of $300

5. Not sure. I believe Google hosts it themselves

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

-------PLEASE JUST STOP!-------

.......ONE TOPIC AT A TIME!.......

PUT ALL YOUR QUESTIONS INTO ONE THREAD!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

ok why isnt it in Australia? @Hazy125

At the moment it is only an American project. To be sure, I do not know for certain, I am not Google. But I do believe it is mostly due to factors such as the cost involved and Government policies that would make it more difficult to implement in Australia. If you want fibre though, Telstra does an amazing deal right now. $300 a month for fibre to a business premise

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

@Hazy125 ok and whats the bandwidth usage amount and speeds? also everyone im sorry from now on i shall post all of my questions in a single post..

@Hazy125 ok and whats the bandwidth usage amount and speeds? also everyone im sorry from now on i shall post all of my questions in a single post..

As far as I'm aware there are not data caps or speed throttling, you also get 1TB of cloud storage... This is for google

I honestly have no idea what Telstra does for fibre

I am good at computer

Spoiler

I recall reading somewhere that most people opted for the "free" internet that had a one time fee vs the 1gbps for $60.

Personally, I wish Google gave people more choice instead of my little DSL lite speed or holy cow Batman!  I'd much rather pay like 29.99 a month and get 100mbps or something.

Don't listen to the guys complaining about you posting topics, as long as it's relevant and it's question related, post as many as you want.

I would answer your question, but the rest already have.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1. When did Google fiber come out?

It was first unveiled on March 30, 2011.

It was first tested out during the summer of 2011 in a residential community near Standford University.

It was turned on and working in Kansas (the first city to get it) in September 2012.

2. What are typical speeds of it?

Up to 1Gbps (1000Mbps) up and down. You usually don't get those speeds since the services you connect to can't provide those speeds. What speeds you get depends on what you are doing.

3. Where is it avaliable?

Kansas, Austin and Provo (all in the US). Don't think they are done with the work needed to provide it in Provo yet though.

4. How much does it cost?

Depends on what you want. Here are the 3 packages they offer:

1. 5Mbps down, 1Mbps up - a one time fee of 300 dollars (or 25 dollars a month for 12 months) and after that it's free (yes, Internet without a subscription fee).

2. 1Gbps up/down and 1TB of storage on Google Drive - 70 dollars a month.

3. 1Gbps up/down, 1TB of storage on Google Drive, a bunch of TV channels, a 2TB DVR (can record TV to it for example) and a Nexus 7 (for remove and you can watch TV on it as well) - 120 dollars a month.

5. Which ISP hosts it like telstra / internode etc?

Google is the ISP. This isn't some Internet service like YouTube, you replace your current ISP (like Telstra) with Google. You have to live in one of the 3 cities I listed above though.

I don't have anything against you making threads stan92 but seriously, you could have found this info faster by simply making a quick Google search. At least try to find info yourself before relying on others to get the info for you.

@LAwLz thanks please rephrase 2 though. I didnt understand it. also how did you answer them separately with my question in a box thing?

@LAwLz thanks please rephrase 2 though. I didnt understand it. also how did you answer them separately with my question in a box thing?

Basically, what he's saying to you is that Google gives you 1Gb/s, but not alot of networks can handle that speed. So you're as slow as the slowest network you connect to.

And, for your second question;

Alot of work

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

@blade of grass what do you mean the slowest network you connect to?

also what do you mean a lot of work?

The internet is a ton of different networks connected together. Say you have Google Fiber, your network is really fast (1Gb/s) but when you say, download a file, the person who you're downloading from's network might only be 100Mb/s, or it may only be 50Mb/s.

Because of that, your network will only perform as fast as theirs will (as slow as the slowest network).

And by alot of work, I mean he had to past your reply each time and delete the text he didn't want to address, then lather rinse repeat.

15" MBP TB

woa ok thanks, @blade of grass

also what do you mean he had to past my reply? please show me if you can?

When I push the quote button, I get a copy of your post.

[quote name="stan92" post="757096" timestamp="1379106720"]woa ok thanks, @[url="http://linustechtips.com/main/user/5074-blade-of-grass/"]blade of grass[/url] 
And it looks like that.

Now, if I were to paste that again in the reply box, I'd get your post, as it normally looks. But, I can delete text in it. So, I can make it

woa ok thanks, @blade of grass

I can do it another time a delete another part

also what do you mean he had to past my reply? please show me if you can?

It's pretty easy, you just need to go into the plain text editor (on the reply box, there is a little square with a rectangle in it, top left corner of the tool bar, click it and you'll notice everything is just plain text). Otherwise, you can't paste quotes.

15" MBP TB