I want to see how many of us preordered the Vive or the Oculus!

I want to see how many of us preordered the Vive or the Oculus!  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Did you preorder a VR device?

• Yes, the Vive.
    • Yes, the Oculus.
    • I do want to, but I'm not sure (moneywise or else)
    • No, but I want to buy a cheaper one in the next gen.
    • No, I'm not interested too much in VR.

Helllo fellow Linustechtipsforumfriends,

I just preordered the Vive and wanted to know more about the generell opinion here in the forum. Whether you preordered or want to aquire one later...

Something like that!

Looking forward to VR!

Vive pre-ordered.  Not 100% certain what I'll do with it yet since I'm mostly an FPS'er.  But I have this feeling that VR is going to be a game changer, so to speak.  I want in.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

I have to say that I'm actually hyped quite a bit. Imagining visiting ancient places or monuments, or even snapping 360° photos myself while travelling seems also like a step into the future.

Gamingwise I backed the indigogo campagne of Hover Junkers (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hover-junkers#/). But I think there will be many more games following.

I don't see a use for a VR Headset by me AND they are too expensive in my opinion considering the fact that you need a very beefy pc for that. I don't need it, it's too expensive and I don't like the look of having such a fat thing in front of your face

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

wrong forum. this is not tech news

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

wrong forum. this is not tech news

I didn't know where to put it best. Displays? Peripherals? And since it is more of a new subject I assumed it would be news related. But if you have a better option let me know, instead of only writing wrong forum.

4 minutes ago, DarkJShadow said:

I didn't know where to put it best. Displays? Peripherals? And since it is more of a new subject I assumed it would be news related. But if you have a better option let me know, instead of only writing wrong forum.

Your post would fit in General Discussion.

Mmh. Sounds right. Maybe I was too focused on the news...

I ordered a Vive. Some of the games being developed look interesting. Some current titles are adding VR support. I am really looking forward to using it on racing titles.

I haven't gone for it since it's just too expensive... Seriously, they each cost as much if not more than a 980 ti! I'm waiting for next gen so that they can get out all the little issues and quirks. As well, perhaps the prices will drop a little.

I also want a higher res screen. 1080p in each eye doesn't sound like a lot... I've tried 1440p both eyes with Google cardboard and the individual pixels were still very noticeable. As well, my GTX 970 can hold up, but it won't be the best experience.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I preordered the oculus, however I expect to buy the vive as well a little later down the road since steam vr seems like it might be the more immersive vr experience with more developer support.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

1080p in each eye doesn't sound like a lot... I've tried 1440p both eyes with Google cardboard and the individual pixels were still very noticeable.

That is also my only concern. I tried it too, and the pixels are still noticable. But if they go for a even higher resolution, 90Hz would be almost impossible with an affordable rig. I bet they would've been able to put a better screen inside, considering the current cellphone resolutions for a similiar price. But performancewise I am fine with their decision (for I only have a 390X).

The Oculus will be great for all sorts of things. The interface still is an issue. Something transparent like the holo-lens is way more appealing- so you can see your keyboard and do augmented reality overlays; also it's less geared toward entertainment than the Rift. Plus it costs 3k to Oculus' $600 price tag.

I'm excited that the preorder for Oculus came with a couple games: Eve & Lucky's Tale.

No Way i preorder the first Generation of VR for this amount of Money. When More Games use VR, there will be the next better Solution.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

but... what about if you already have one?

9 hours ago, jasonvp said:

Vive pre-ordered.  Not 100% certain what I'll do with it yet since I'm mostly an FPS'er.  But I have this feeling that VR is going to be a game changer, so to speak.  I want in.

Want in? Is there still time to invest!?!?! Because I'll buy some FB stock! lol just joshin ya.

5 hours ago, Praesi said:

No Way i preorder the first Generation of VR for this amount of Money. When More Games use VR, there will be the next better Solution.

^this. My computer can run it okay. But for the money I can get a VR headset, I can do a complete overhaul on my system and enjoy 4K gaming for the next couple years. I rather what until gen 2 or 3 when its hundreds of dollars less and I know for sure that VR is a permanent thing.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I have wanted VR since I was a kid.  The fact that they are all coming out now, is making me super hyped.  I find the price point is a little outta my league at the moment (just had a little one a month ago).  So I'm gonna wait till they drop the price in a few years :(

- Radio Shack TRS-80 Colour Computer.  16kB Memory, Motorola 6809E@ 0.895MHz

- Pentium III, dual 500MHz Intel processors, 128MB RAM, ATI Rage Pro 4MB video card

- Cooler Master Elite 310 (with orange lip), Fatal1ty 970, FX 6100, 12GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, AMD R9 280X, EVGA 750G 

- Samsung RF711, 17", i7 2630QM, 6GB DDR3, Nvidia GeForce GT 540M

- Alienware x51 R3.. i7 6700, Nvidia GTX 970, 8GB DDR4 (Not bad for a gift)

both HMDs have good dev support. I chose the HTC Vive since..

-it can do everything the Rift does and more out of the box. Full tracking for subtle ducking and leaning motions etc apart from the optional room scale stuff.

-in many games the ability to use your hands is going to be key for immersion. When I don't want that I can just switch to a regular steam or Xbox controller or mouse/KB.

-will work on mac OSX, Linux and windows (admittedly ideological reason)

-front facing camera is so convenient. I can look at the real work when needed without taking off the HMD. Ability to switch between real world and fantasy world is important for me for social reasons...

I went for the HTC Vive. It seemed like the best complete package with the controllers, wider tracking area and built in camera.  

I've had a DK2 for a year and a half and it's seen very limited use. Mainly due to application support, I've spent more hours trying to get demos and games running correctly than I have using the device.  I haven't used it all for many months now but hopefully this issue has gone away or will with the consumer devices.

I haven't tried the Vive Pre yet, should get the chance at the end of this month.

I was considering the Vive, but simply don't have enough room for full room VR, so why spend the extra for now. The only other thing that concerns me is that despite Various YouTubers now having Vive pre to play with; JackSepticEye is the first one that comes to mind, None of them have played any seated games or existing titles. For example, many people stated that Euro Truck simulator was one of the best VR experiences around on DK2, Yet not a single person has considered trying it with Vive? Or project Cars? It just seems odd. I assume those early tester have a solid NDA, but it would be interesting to know if there is an issue or they are limited to Vive launch titles.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

9 hours ago, Davehaslanded said:

Yet not a single person has considered trying it with Vive?

I guess that it is due to the fact, that the people have seen so many demos with the older models or the Oculus. The main benefit of the Vive is definitely the ability to move and walk around. The testers are all promoting it a bit, too. So they'll show the one thing the vive is much better than the Oculus and that is while not sitting. I bet that the normal sitting headmovement tracking will work, it does so even while walking. ;) 

Since the Vive does support the open Steam VR, that will be no problem. Even for the "exclusive" content of the Oculus, since we are on PC, there'll be cracks or mods to use the Vive on Oculus only titles, too. 

On 6.3.2016 at 3:55 PM, Tepid said:

I've had a DK2 for a year and a half and it's seen very limited use. Mainly due to application support, I've spent more hours trying to get demos and games running correctly than I have using the device.  I haven't used it all for many months now but hopefully this issue has gone away or will with the consumer devices.

I expect the first VR models will be buggy at first. But I am good at googleing (or as others say I am good with technology...), so that hopefully won't be that much of an issue for me.

On 3/9/2016 at 6:30 AM, Davehaslanded said:

None of them have played any seated games or existing titles.

Here you go

Also HTC Vive is superior to the rift for seated experiences.What happens when you want to look at your keyboard or joystick to get your bearings in Star Citizen? It's just the push of a button on the Vive to get a peek at the real world via the front facing camera. With the Rift you have to take off the headset which isn't practical.

@Humbug Fair point. But I still believe some devs like Asseto Corsa and ETS2 devs have stated they have no plans to support Vive at this time. The Camera integration, i really don't see as an issue when seated. Most games are built around a controller and Oculus Touch will be launching shortly. I also wonder how jarring suddenly seeing the outside world is. Having said that, I know the biggest issue I had with a Phone VR headset i bought was the Lenses getting dirty from peoples hair as the put it on and took it off. I hope this issue has been sorted.

Chances are by end of year i'll have both anyway, But right now I've gone for rift as they've shown off more VR that's interested me, eg Sim racing and seated experiences as I don't have room to move around anyway. I do like the Bluetooth Phone integration of the Vive though. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

17 hours ago, Davehaslanded said:

The Camera integration, i really don't see as an issue when seated. Most games are built around a controller and Oculus Touch will be launching shortly. I also wonder how jarring suddenly seeing the outside world is.

ok. For me the lack of front facing camera on the Rift is a deal breaker. I don't see it as an immersion breaker since I can turn it off when I don't want. But apart from looking at my peripherals or monitor I certainly want the ability to pause the game and pick up stuff on my desk, operate my phone, sip my drink and look at what somebody else is doing for a minute without the hassle of having to take off my HMD. I'm sure the rift too will add the feature in later models.

Based on the demo below the video feed from the camera appears to just hover next to one of the controllers, not taking over your whole vision. It doesn't look like it'd break immersion or be too jarring, especially if you are triggering it by pressing a button on the controller.  I assume (or hope) it'd be placed in a static position for keyboard/mouse driven games and triggered by a keyboard shortcut. Seems useful to have a drink, find your controller, or check your phone (although I read the Vive has built in bluetooth / SMS support anyways...!?).

I wasn't able to find any video of someone picking up a glass and drinking with the headset on.