Distortion caused by motherboard?

alanz25
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
7 minutes ago, alanz25 said:

i am using the back ports and also have tested the front ports. i cannot hear anything with nothing playing. also the new track i've downloaded is in 320 kbps, and i can also hear it it the falc rips i've made.

does this happen with any other device?

if not, then its a problem with your onboard audio or its drivers

first check all enhancements/effects are disabled

you can try checking if there is a newer version of the audio drivers for your motherboard on the manufacturer website, but if that doesnt fix it then its probably just the way your onboard audio was designed

the last resort is to buy a cheapish USB audio interface/dac

so recently, I've began to use my hd650s with my desktop computer, and for a while i i always though something was wrong and the music just wasn't as good as my phone (ik weird). so today i started listening to a new song, and for some weird reason i can hear a metric ton of distortion most notably to the singer's voice, whenever the singer sings a loud or high note, you can hear the kind of buzzing sound. My first though was that i downloaded a corrupted file, but i switched music and suddenly i noticed all of them were distorted, just doesn't sound as obviously as that one song made it. then i though i've blown my 650s or something (i have it plugged into the speaker out port on the mobo) , but then i plugged it into my ipad and everything was fine. so the problem must be in my computer, but i don't know where, anyone has any ideas?

Cpu: i5 4690k @ 4.3ghz

Gpu: Asus GTX 970 Strix 

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5

Psu: EVGA Supernova 750W G2

Case: NZXT Noctis 450

If the audio cord is running near anything carrying current near the back of the that can cause noise. When i was getting a  constant slight static in my headphones it was cause it was near my surge protector and PSU cable, moved it and the static was gone. PC's arent really the most audio signal friendly places with so much current everywhere and thats why an external amp/dac would something worth looking into especially seeing as you have yourself a pair of hd650s

i7 4790K | MSI Z97S Krait | Gigabyte 980ti Gaming G1 SLI |  2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB + WD Black 4TB | EVGA Supernova P2 1200 | Phanteks Enthoo Primo (White)| Dell P2715Q x2 | Corsiar K70 | Corsair M95 | Full Custom Loop CPU + GPUs 

Just now, AbsoluteZero951 said:

If the audio cord is running near anything carrying current near the back of the that can cause noise. When i was getting a  constant slight static in my headphones it was cause it was near my surge protector and PSU cable, moved it and the static was gone. PC's arent really the most audio signal friendly places with so much current everywhere and thats why an external amp/dac would something worth looking into especially seeing as you have yourself a pair of hd650s

ahh, i've installed some new leds during the time i've been using my phone as my driver. they sit right above teh music section

what are your headphones plugged into

try plugging into the rear output of your motherboard instead of front panel and check your cable isnt running near any power cables

if you still hear it, try testing with a 320kbps mp3 or flac file

usually EMI is a constant static, not just certain high notes

can you hear noise when nothing is playing?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

Audio troubleshooting guide in my signature. Go.

ahh, my system is overclocked, i didn't install a mobo post, the audio area is one of the most crowded cabling areas in my desktop due to the led strips, c1e and eist are both enabled even though i have a gigabyte mobo ( gotta change that soon) and last of all i probably many many drivers that are old...

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

what are your headphones plugged into

try plugging into the rear output of your motherboard instead of front panel and check your cable isnt running near any power cables

if you still hear it, try testing with a 320kbps mp3 or flac file

usually EMI is a constant static, not just certain high notes

can you hear noise when nothing is playing?

i am using the back ports and also have tested the front ports. i cannot hear anything with nothing playing. also the new track i've downloaded is in 320 kbps, and i can also hear it it the falc rips i've made.

7 minutes ago, alanz25 said:

you can try checking if there is a newer version of the audio drivers for your motherboard on the manufacturer website, but if that doesnt fix it then its probably just the way your onboard audio was designed

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

i've checked all of those already according to ssl's guide above. and i don't have the time to mess with the more advanced stuff. since i've been eyeing the schiit magni/modi for i while, might as well pull the trigger now