Any problem in installing 2 Noctua NF-F12s using the Y Splitter?

Girish
Go to solution Solved by astranger200,
18 hours ago, Girish said:

I have a Corsair SPEC-01 case with one built-in 120 mm fan and my motherboard (Asus H97M-E) has 2 chassis fans besides the CPU fan header. For the front intakes, I am planning to buy 2 Noctua NF-F12s (120mm) and due to the limitation, I would have to use the Y-splitter which comes with the F12s to connect both the fans to the remaining chassis fan header. (Note: I would prefer not to connect the fans to the PSU via a molex)

My queries are these-
1. Would connecting 2 fans through a splitter cause any problems to the motherboard?
2. I don't know the voltage requirements of the fans and the supply capacity of the 4 pin PWM header of the motherboard, so if anybody has any understanding of that, please tell me if the power supplied by the mobo be enough for the 2 fans.
3. I have seen in some forums where people have said that the fans being PWM, you don't want to use a Y splitter as it wouldn't be the optimum way to utilize a PWM fan. Also, it might cause some ticking problems etc. in the fans due to the digital signal utilized by them. Are these concerns legitimate?

If you have any other suggestions regarding the installation of the fans, I would like to hear them too.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

it will all work fine. you mobo will be fine and dont worry about it. you are only drawing like 0.4 amps max when the max is 1. the pwm will work fine aswell I assume

I have a Corsair SPEC-01 case with one built-in 120 mm fan and my motherboard (Asus H97M-E) has 2 chassis fans besides the CPU fan header. For the front intakes, I am planning to buy 2 Noctua NF-F12s (120mm) and due to the limitation, I would have to use the Y-splitter which comes with the F12s to connect both the fans to the remaining chassis fan header. (Note: I would prefer not to connect the fans to the PSU via a molex)

My queries are these-
1. Would connecting 2 fans through a splitter cause any problems to the motherboard?
2. I don't know the voltage requirements of the fans and the supply capacity of the 4 pin PWM header of the motherboard, so if anybody has any understanding of that, please tell me if the power supplied by the mobo be enough for the 2 fans.
3. I have seen in some forums where people have said that the fans being PWM, you don't want to use a Y splitter as it wouldn't be the optimum way to utilize a PWM fan. Also, it might cause some ticking problems etc. in the fans due to the digital signal utilized by them. Are these concerns legitimate?

If you have any other suggestions regarding the installation of the fans, I would like to hear them too.

1. No.

2. The voltage is plenty. 

3. With the Y splitter, one of the fans will retain full PWM functionality, but the other will act as a non-PWM fan and you'll have to manually control it's speed with the Low-Noise Adapter included. I've never had a problem with ticking - ticking does happen, usually on startup but is not constant or indeed loud enough to hear unless your face is in the case.

18 hours ago, Girish said:

My queries are these-

it will all work fine. you mobo will be fine and dont worry about it. you are only drawing like 0.4 amps max when the max is 1. the pwm will work fine aswell I assume

My rig: r7 1700 @ 3.9/1.35v, 16gb ddr4 3200, assorted rando SSDs, hx 1050, vega 64 1650/1025

MY $75 BUILD https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/576889-the-75-build-log/#comment-7547280

41 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

1. No.

2. The voltage is plenty. 

3. With the Y splitter, one of the fans will retain full PWM functionality, but the other will act as a non-PWM fan and you'll have to manually control it's speed with the Low-Noise Adapter included. I've never had a problem with ticking - ticking does happen, usually on startup but is not constant or indeed loud enough to hear unless your face is in the case.

Both fans will support PWM using the y splitter

4 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Both fans will support PWM using the y splitter

Ok. I just plugged in an NF-F12 and an NF-A8 on a Y splitter, and one of the Y's only had 3 pins so I was assuming there'd be no PWN control to it.

7 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Ok. I just plugged in an NF-F12 and an NF-A8 on a Y splitter, and one of the Y's only had 3 pins so I was assuming there'd be no PWN control to it.

Older model maybe? The y splitter that came with my nf f12 had two 4pin