I have gigabit internet, why isn't computer using it???

JoePro87

Okay, I have a gigabit fiber optic internet connection, I have a gigabit network card on my computer. Yet, when I try to download files, it tops out at around 10MB/s. If I run a speedtest, it will show the full gigabit. I checked the properties on my network card, and it says it is connected at a gigabit. What's the deal? What can I do to actually hit my full gigabit that I'm paying for?

Screenaninator: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 Nitro

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8300

Stickaminator: 16GB Crucial Vengance DDR3

Powermathingy: Corsair RM850i

attachamajiggy: Asus M5A97 R2.0 f

Remembrerthing: 240 GB Crucial SSD, 2TB Toshiba HDD

where are you downloading files from? there could always be bottlenecks that are completely out of your control from wherever your getting the files from.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

The server you're downloading stuff from might be the bottleneck. If the speedtest shows 1gbit then you have that, but some sources can't use the full capabilities of it

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Maybe the place you are downloading from has a slow server or is full, Are you torrenting because you don't always get full speed

Hello

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

Okay, I have a gigabit fiber optic internet connection, I have a gigabit network card on my computer. Yet, when I try to download files, it tops out at around 10MB/s. If I run a speedtest, it will show the full gigabit. I checked the properties on my network card, and it says it is connected at a gigabit. What's the deal? What can I do to actually hit my full gigabit that I'm paying for?

Well it really depends what your downloading and from where. I have fast internet (90mbs/s) but it all depends on the server which the download is coming from, if the server is fast then i get my full 90mb/s if not i might get 4-7 mb/s. 

That's what I thought it may have been, too. So, I tried downloading from multiple sources at the same time. I'm talking Steam, Origin, and just for the heck of it, emuparadise (they have large files and fast servers). But, my overall speeds NEVER go above 10MB/s

1 minute ago, JoePro87 said:

Your connection isn't the only limiting factor, servers are limited and the connections in between are limited as well. If for some reason you honestly need to download a gigs a second just download multiple files from multiple servers at one. Each file will take the same time as 10mbs but you'll have more downloaded in that time

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

You're downloading from somewhere that that can't transfer it to you that fast.

Can you honestly say that you expected to be able to just download from anywhere on the net at rates of 125MB/s?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

But again, I'm downloading from multiple sources. I've downloaded files from Steam at over 60MB/s before. Now it is only 10. I understand bottlenecking in the internet. I get that. But again, I can download something from Steam at 10MB/s, and as soon as I start another download, the Steam one will slow down to roughly 5, and the other one will also go roughly 5. Me downloading something from Origin should have absolutely NO effect on my Steam download.

4 minutes ago, JoePro87 said:

But again, I'm downloading from multiple sources. I've downloaded files from Steam at over 60MB/s before. Now it is only 10. I understand bottlenecking in the internet. I get that. But again, I can download something from Steam at 10MB/s, and as soon as I start another download, the Steam one will slow down to roughly 5, and the other one will also go roughly 5. Me downloading something from Origin should have absolutely NO effect on my Steam download.

What CPU and network card do you have?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

AMD FX-8300, and the network card is an onboard one. It's the Asus M5A97 mobo though. I'm not sure how to check exactly what the network card is. I do want to add, before I reinstalled Windows, I was able to get more than 10MB/s on this same computer. I thought maybe it was a driver issue, but Windows says I have the most up to date driver.

Are you sure you actually got a gigabit connection, and you are not connected to anything that is limited to 100Mbps?

Could you please post one of the speed tests you have made?

Yes, I'm quite positive I'm on a gigabit connection. Believe me, I'm paying for it every month.  http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5135265104 (Note: Not even Google Fiber customers get a full gigabit on an average test. This one topped out at 698mbps, which doesn't bother me, I just wish my computer could actually utilize the full speed it is getting!)

It'll definitely be something in between you ISP and Network card, must be the server that you are downloading from

But again, it can't be the server I'm downloading from when the issue still exists when I am downloading from multiple sources. This has to be a hardware issue with my computer.

It's on steam side of things. I get 100 and steam downloads at 10. I get 15 and steam download at 2. It's normal and I know from experience.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

5 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

But again, it can't be the server I'm downloading from when the issue still exists when I am downloading from multiple sources. This has to be a hardware issue with my computer.

If it was a hardware issue then you would not be getting over 10MBps in speed test.

It must be an issue with the services you are downloading from.

Try connecting to a VPN and then try downloading, I suspect your ISP has found a way to throttle you to make 1Gbps speeds more economical for them.

-KuJoe

10 hours ago, JoePro87 said:

In part it is. And chances are the issue is actually your storage. Do you have an SSD or an HDD? On the SSD on my wife's machine, I can saturate our Google Fiber connection without any problem when downloading through Steam. On an HDD on my system, however, it always tops out at 50 MB/s but typically hovers in the 30s. In either case, it's possible the cables are going bad or your drive is slowly losing its life. Find a storage benchmark tool and use that to benchmark your storage and make sure it's still performing as you expect. If it isn't, replace the cable first to rule that out since the cables are relatively cheap. If it doesn't improve from there, then you may need to replace the drive.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

I have an SSD, and it is new, so I highly doubt it is going bad yet.

On 3/3/2016 at 0:48 AM, VinsinityKT said:

It's on steam side of things. I get 100 and steam downloads at 10. I get 15 and steam download at 2. It's normal and I know from experience.

You have to convert bits to bytes.  If you pay for 100 megabits/s then you are expected to get 12.5 megabytes/s. There are 8 bits in a byte. 

11 hours ago, peterino55 said:

You have to convert bits to bytes.  If you pay for 100 megabits/s then you are expected to get 12.5 megabytes/s. There are 8 bits in a byte. 

He is right there is a big difference from 10Mb/s and 10 MB/s.

Here is a article describing the difference. "http://www.ronstauffer.com/blog/your-internet-speed-megabits-vs-megabytes/"

Guys...I'm very well aware of the difference between bits and bytes. Did you not see where I said I'm on a GIGAbit connection? That's 125 Megabytes. I'm getting 10.