mao91

CURRENT BUILD (updates as changes)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
RAM: 4GB DDR2-800

PSU: 250GB Delta Electronics TFX SFF

MOBO: G41T-DM

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

FIRST POST:

Apparently this PC was still being used in the cafeteria office at my college. My (now former) boss in the IT department said he was going to throw it in the trash. I asked if I could take it off his hands, and he said, "Sure, just take the hard drive out and it's yours." As you can see, it looks ultra-nasty. Don't worry, this is after cleaning it up a little.

102_0120.JPG

102_0121.JPG

102_0123.JPG

102_0126.JPG

102_0129.JPG

102_0134.JPG

102_0135.JPG

102_0138.JPG

102_0140.JPG

102_0142.JPG

102_0144.JPG

102_0147.JPG

102_0152.JPG

102_0158.JPG

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Eh... VGA only, pentium CPU, unreliable PSU... scrap it

I'm willing to gut it and build something inside the box. Because lulz.

ewwww, vista....lel

anyway, sell it for server, or put in an SSD and sell it to someone who needs it only for web

You could reuse the case, and maybe pull out the disk drive, card reader, and the fans.  Always nice things to have on hand,

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

25 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

Compact gaming build, mini NAS, Linux machine, you could do anything with it really. Do you know what CPU it has and how much RAM?

102_0169.thumb.JPG.e39bba2a5649baeba7c7e

I'm in luck. This just happens to be an LGA775 motherboard and I just happen to have a Core 2 Duo E6750 (also LGA775) laying around, which performs slightly better than this here Pentium. Looks like this will either be a linux machine or a nas if I choose to swap the CPU and keep the original motherboard. RAM is 4GB.

21 minutes ago, Arwanell said:

ewwww, vista....lel

anyway, sell it for server, or put in an SSD and sell it to someone who needs it only for web

Thought about selling.

19 minutes ago, WarWeeny said:

Maybe make a nice APU system?

Will consider.

21 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Do it

;)

17 minutes ago, Aruxx said:

You could reuse the case, and maybe pull out the disk drive, card reader, and the fans.  Always nice things to have on hand,

Also considering. :)

3 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

102_0169.thumb.JPG.e39bba2a5649baeba7c7e

I'm in luck. This just happens to be an LGA775 motherboard and I just happen to have a Core 2 Duo E6750 (also LGA775) laying around, which performs slightly better than this here Pentium. Looks like this will either be a linux machine or a nas if I choose to swap the CPU and keep the original motherboard. RAM is 4GB.

that's actually a relatively capable cpu you got there. Maybe add an ssd in there , and you have a decent office machine.

You could use it as a file server or a linux machine

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Take like 1500 grit sandpaper to the front, for foul brushed aluminum look. Because fuck scratched piano finish. :D 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Just now, Frankie said:

Take like 1500 grit sandpaper to the front, for foul brushed aluminum look. Because fuck scratched piano finish. :D 

I'm a little confused by what you mean mate. Are you talking about the case? If so, don't worry, that will be prettied up in the end as well. But what's inside the case is more important than what it looks like on the outside.

Just now, B.Toast said:

I'm a little confused by what you mean mate. Are you talking about the case? If so, don't worry, that will be prettied up in the end as well. But what's inside the case is more important than what it looks like on the outside.

yes he means that you should take sand paper and make the case brushed plastic instead of "Glossy Plastic"

1 minute ago, mikat said:

yes he means that you should take sand paper and make the case brushed plastic instead of "Glossy Plastic"

^^^ exactly

3 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

What mikat said. Don't take it too seriously though, it was kinda light hearted comment. :) Other than the scratched front I kinda like the layout of the case, it's ''unique'' if you will. 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, mikat said:

9 minutes ago, Frankie said:

^^^ exactly

What mikat said. Don't take it too seriously though, it was kinda light hearted comment. :) Other than the scratched front I kinda like the layout of the case, it's ''unique'' if you will. 

Aye, thanks. :)

I'm curious what form factor this PSU is. It's 250W so it should theoretically be fine for what I need but I would like to put a gigabit NIC in it if I do decide to make it into a server or NAS.

honestly, just toss linux on there and have some fun, i literally completed the overhaul on this gem 10 minutes ago:

f1ea532550.jpg

its free stuff, so if you break it, nothing's lost.

6 minutes ago, B.Toast said:

Aye, thanks. :)

I'm curious what form factor this PSU is. It's 250W so it should theoretically be fine for what I need but I would like to put a gigabit NIC in it if I do decide to make it into a server or NAS.

Sure bud. :) You could do something really cool with it, like dissaseble it, paint the insides black, add a window. Similar to these puppies ? :)

2000550158.jpeg

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

You can use it for a basic computer. Upgrade the RAM (if you can), but a 120GB+ SSD in it and use it for basic tasks. Or you can use it to host some form of gaming server like a vanilla Minecraft server or Teamspeak server etc..

8 hours ago, Frankie said:

Sure bud. :) You could do something really cool with it, like dissaseble it, paint the insides black, add a window. Similar to these puppies ? :)

2000550158.jpeg

I like the idea of adding a window. A piece of Plexiglas isn't too expensive, either. We'll see. :)

1 hour ago, AgentEddie99 said:

You can use it for a basic computer. Upgrade the RAM (if you can), but a 120GB+ SSD in it and use it for basic tasks. Or you can use it to host some form of gaming server like a vanilla Minecraft server or Teamspeak server etc..

It's funny you mention that, as I was talking with a friend tonight about using it to run a Minecraft LAN server on linux.

Practice your case painting skills and put in a side window. If you mess up, oh well.

Stripped down. Case is ready to be washed and prepped for painting. Going to go for a white-on-black theme to match my personal rig. I'll be using flat colors instead of gloss to maintain the same subtle look. I'll be using Krylon MAXX for the plastic components. Still figuring out what I'll be using for the metal parts. May dismantle, clean, and paint the PSU as well.

102_0190.JPG

102_0191.JPG

Aww yeah, that's gonna be interesting. :) Are you gonna drill out the rivets ? It's probably gonna be a bitch to paint otherwise.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Washed and looking like new again. I think I'll use Rustoleum for the metal and do a matte black finish inside and out. Interior accent pieces will be gloss white while exterior accent pieces will be flat white. I was thinking about removing the optical and card reader bay, but it seems I'd be losing a lot of structural critical support to do so. I am, however, planning to modify the bay to accommodate an additional 80mm fan for intake. The motherboard has a single CPU fan header and a single 3-pin chassis fan connector, which I will probably split to power the extra fan. Still debating window or no window, and how big. Mostly a matter of "how much work do I really want to put into this since the weather will be nice for painting this weekend."

Snagged a Core 2 Quad Q8400 off of ebay last night for just under $17 shipped. The 95W TDP has me a little concerned for the 250W PSU in this system (not to mention the PSU's age) so I may opt for a 350W PSU like this one.

102_0198.JPG

102_0202.JPG

I say make a tiny NAS.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Unfortunately the old CPU cooler can't be replaced as it has some stupid proprietary screw-in design. Fortunately, it has a regular old 80mm fan on it that CAN be replaced. I'm curious which one in this list I should go with. Not terribly concerned about "ermahgerd noctua." http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case-fan/#p=1&s=80&qq=1