2x 760 VS 1x 970

Leroy Noel

Hey. So right now i am needing an upgrade. I am rocking the GTX 760 from gainward. However is it better to get a single 970 or another 760 with a new psu that supports SLI?

Thx 

Also throwing in some pics. Because im an attention whore :))))

20160224_231713.jpg

20160224_235350.jpg

received_672082596267459.jpeg

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I'd go with a single GTX 970, it isn't worth SLI'ing or Crossfire'ing 2 mid tier GPUs, just sell your old GTX 760 or use it as a spare GPU.

Pretty much this.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

the 2GB VRAM is going to be the bottleneck in your future SLi setup

games even at 1080P eat a chunk load of VRAM

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, Leroy Noel said:

Yea, Or i might save up more and go balls to the walls 980ti

That'll be the best option.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I would go with a 390, just kidding. Get a 970, if the choices are 970 or two 760s. I get the feeling that SLI and CF support has actually gotten worse rather than better over the years.

....but honestly. Look at 390s as well. They perform VERY well at higher resolutions and having looked at your profile....dude you should consider a new display with a nice 390 instead of a 980ti. Your overall experience will be MUCH better with a decent GPU and monitor instead of an aweseome GPU and crappy monitor.....no offense for the monitor, but it really doesn't match the performance of the PC.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

1 minute ago, mapegl said:

I would go with a 390, just kidding. Get a 970, if the choices are 970 or two 760s. I get the feeling that SLI and CF support has actually gotten worse rather than better over the years.

....but honestly. Look at 390s as well. They perform VERY well at higher resolutions and having looked at your profile....dude you should consider a new display with a nice 390 instead of a 980ti. Your overall experience will be MUCH better with a decent GPU and monitor instead of an aweseome GPU and crappy monitor.....no offense for the monitor, but it really doesn't match the performance of the PC.

I hav elooked at the 390, but it kicks off way too much heat. i built a budget build for a friend with the 390 and its a reallt hot card.

3 minutes ago, mapegl said:

I would also need another psu becase of the double PCI-E 8PIN :(

3 minutes ago, Leroy Noel said:

I hav elooked at the 390, but it kicks off way too much heat. i built a budget build for a friend with the 390 and its a reallt hot card.

hot?

the cooler on the 390s have improved IMO

was it the Asus card?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, Leroy Noel said:

I would also need another psu becase of the double PCI-E 8PIN :(

Yeah, true. Still cheaper than getting 980ti. ;-)

Though 550W is enough for your system with a 390. Weird that the PSU doesn't have the connectors.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

I'd recommend the GTX 970, as even though the 760 SLI will have more processing horsepower, you'll run into a VRAM limit real soon, as VRAM doesn't stack.

However, even with the GTX 970, you'll still run into a VRAM limit with its 3.5 GB of video memory. If you have a power supply that can handle two GTX 760s in SLI, then it's worth considering the R9 390, which performs a little better than the GTX 970 for a similar price, and has more than double the VRAM.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

hot?

the cooler on the 390s have improved IMO

was it the Asus card?

It was the Sapphire.

Just now, mapegl said:

Yeah, true. Still cheaper than getting 980ti. ;-)

Though 550W is enough for your system with a 390. Weird that the PSU doesn't have the connectors.

Iknow but only one 8pin :(

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I'd recommend the GTX 970, as even though the 760 SLI will have more processing horsepower, you'll run into a VRAM limit real soon, as VRAM doesn't stack.

However, even with the GTX 970, you'll still run into a VRAM limit with its 3.5 GB of video memory. If you have a power supply that can handle two GTX 760s in SLI, then it's worth considering the R9 390, which performs a little better than the GTX 970 for a similar price, and has more than double the VRAM.

Again i would have to get a new psu.

Just now, Leroy Noel said:

It was the Sapphire.

Iknow but only one 8pin :(

Nitro or Tri-X?

the cooler is beefy and should keep the GPU at 60-70 degrees

unless the case have bad air flow

the GPU will stay cool

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

Nitro or Tri-X?

the cooler is beefy and should keep the GPU at 60-70 degrees

unless the case have bad air flow

the GPU will stay cool

Nitro Innstalled it in a friends case. Had to mount a fan right next to it. 

1 minute ago, Leroy Noel said:

Nitro Innstalled it in a friends case. Had to mount a fan right next to it. 

what temp he was getting?

I didnt check, but the exhaust and the top of the case was reaaaaly hot. almost to hot to touch, and that was with light gaming,

5 minutes ago, Leroy Noel said:

I didnt check, but the exhaust and the top of the case was reaaaaly hot. almost to hot to touch, and that was with light gaming,

I game for hours (modded skyrim, fallout 4) and my temps barely go above 70c.

Just saying. :)

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

23 minutes ago, mapegl said:

I've switched from 1440x900 to 1080p and it's like night and day.
@OP I would consider new monitor in your place as well.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

If you have a 4GB 760 then it would be something to consider but it would be better to get a 970 or wait a bit longer for Pascal, it's not too long off now.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

29 minutes ago, Leroy Noel said:

Depends heavily on which 390

Sapphire one runs at 65*C and is barely audible.

Asus one runs at 85*C and is loud

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

19 minutes ago, Leroy Noel said:

It really depends on the card and most of all on case airflow. I have a fairly small case and my 290 Tri-X runs quite warm. Not over 80°C, not screaming loud, but louder than I would like it to be. My brother has a HAF-XB (huge case, great airflow) and his 290 Tri-X is basically silent. I mean it basically  stays at 70°C when under heavy load and the fans don't have to work hard at all.

Seeing that you have an S340 you should really be fine with a 390. ATX is the territory where it can shine, anything smaller and you might get issues with louder and hotter operation. Just make sure you have decent fans in your case. And if it doesn't turn out the way your like, just send it back and get something else.

52 minutes ago, Leroy Noel said:

It will not reach above 75 deg C with a good cooler (Sapphire and MSI)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

53 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

I've switched from 1440x900 to 1080p and it's like night and day.
@OP I would consider new monitor in your place as well.

My favorite shop in norway only carries one 1440 monitor and its only 19" for some reason.