Can you get 'bare" SSD's?

steezemageeze

Can you find bare (i.e. simple packaging, no included accessories, generally cheaper) SSD's on Amazon (or elsewhere I suppose)? I need a new drive for my laptop, and I can get a 120 gig Adata SP550 for like $40, but I'm a penny-pinching teenager so I kinda want to save as much as I can on this.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Not new, unless you're going for enterprise stuff that tends to just be the drive in a plain box. 

EDIT: Used would be the only way to really get it cheaper. 

probably on ebay xD

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

Just now, AlbinoTexan said:

probably on ebay xD

I thought about it, I just hate eBay. Always thought it was sketchy lol

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

4 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

I thought about it, I just hate eBay. Always thought it was sketchy lol

Give it a try sometime - if you think eBay's sketchy then Craigslist's even worse, and half the parts in my machine were Craigslist sourced. :P 

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

To be honest, you're probably best off biting the bullet.

SanDisk's SSDs come bare, I suppose. I've built a computer that uses a Z400s and I use an SSD Plus as a portable drive. They come in a thin card box and a plastic tray with nothing more than a few sheets of paper for warranty reasons.

As for eBay stuff, it's usually fairly decent. I've bought a Razer Mamba and a 7770 on it, and my experience hasn't been negative in the least. I mean, it can't hurt to find a reasonably priced one on eBay from a reputable seller.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

Give it a try sometime - if you think eBay's sketchy then Craigslist's even worse, and half the parts in my machine were Craigslist sourced. :P 

That's fair. I can get a Kingston V300 for $5 cheaper than the Adata. I'll look into it

Get oem they are bare. Newegg has it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

That's fair. I can get a Kingston V300 for $5 cheaper than the Adata. I'll look into it

I...wouldn't.

The Kingston V300, unless they'r the ones that use the older controller, are not advised, since they changed the flash controller and it's much slower as a result.

Keep shopping around, though. I'm sure you'll find something out there.

DAYTONA

Just now, daniellearmouth said:

I...wouldn't.

The Kingston V300, unless they'r the ones that use the older controller, are not advised, since they changed the flash controller and it's much slower as a result.

Keep shopping around, though. I'm sure you'll find something out there.

Damn, that's what I thought. Can't be much slower than the shitty HDD I already have though :P

Just now, steezemageeze said:

Damn, that's what I thought. Can't be much slower than the shitty HDD I already have though :P

Well, I guess its solid state nature makes it faster by technicality at least.

Still though. Looking on eBay is probably your best bet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-840-Pro-128GB-Internal-2-5-Solid-State-Drive-/231855955435?hash=item35fbb11deb:g:fykAAOSwezVWzgtA

I found an 840 Pro for $30. Try and go for it. There are other options, but yeah, try that one.

DAYTONA