Where do you buy parts?

ffemterb

Do you prefer to go through sites like Amazon and NewEgg or go straight through the manufacturer when possible?

1 minute ago, ffemterb said:

Do you prefer to go through sites like Amazon and NewEgg or go straight through the manufacturer when possible?

The internet. Otherwise I´d be buying parts from bestbuy and staples.

Just now, ffemterb said:

I go with the cheapest lace, but I sometimes buy several things at once and will use newegg or amazon(just go for the free trial of prime with new accounts and get free shipping ;) ) 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Usually internet. But if it's locally for around the same price or close to it, I'll buy it. Shipping is always at least a week for me.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

I have been using Ebay recently. You can get some good deal on used parts. I got the 8 core 16 thread Intel Xeon E5-2670 for 65us.

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

Local that way I dont have to bother with shipping if I want to return

however only 1 week return period and horrible service and selection

(memory express)

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

E B A Y

I used ebay before linus and all his silliness :P

EVGA SR-2 FTW

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

I usually start with Amazon or NewEgg to read the reviews and compare products available. Then I look at the Manufacturer's site to make sure the specs are on point or if there are any deals with the manufacturers. Then, I search around for the cheapest price. So, pretty much what everyone's said above me...

whoever i can screw over and get it the cheapest. xD

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

I like newegg but sometimes Amazon ships cheaper. I bought an NZXT H440, i5 4690k, and EVGA 950 SSC on Amazon for $500 USD. It would have cost $580 on newegg.

You just gotta check around and look at shipping charges as well.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 1600 MHz Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Case: NZXT H440 White 

Depends on how fast I need the part and the current prices. Usually I go to local places like Microcenter, BestBuy, and Staples, but if I shop online I go to Newegg, NCIX, or my last resort Amazon.

Not gonna lie... I thought you were asking where we bought our pants :| I buy from Amazon though (pants and parts ;)). it's just the easiest for me and you can usually get pretty good prices on everything. I think I saved upwards of $50 on my build by going with Amazon over Newegg.

Edited by steezemageeze
;)

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

I find the cheapest prices with Shopbot and then I price match it at NCIX so I can have a local place I can make returns to.

When I do get to buying the parts for my first PC, I'll try to shop at nearby stores, I hope that I might be able to get some of my parts from Micro Center, some parts from B&H Photo/Video (because they're sales tax free if you don't live in NY and they have free shipping), and some from online stores (like Amazon, Newegg, NZXT, etc.).

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization