So I have a Broadwell i5, what should I do with it?

Yes I know. Skylake is superior, Broadwell is useless, the IGP is terrible (just not as terrible as...), and etc...  But I'm in possession of a genuine i5-5675c and I'm kinda interested to see how it will work out. I have found no useful benchmarks on both the CPU and GPU besides the usual skimming by Tom's Hardware. I haven't seen Linus benchmark of the Broadwell processors (give me a link if I missed it), and since I have one I figure I'll see what it's capable of when the motherboard arrives (It's a long story). I just wanted to know if anyone out there has any useful advice or experience with these CPU's. Also, any benchmarks would be helpful, especially with the IGP vs Discrete.

FYI: The system isn't going to be a traditional "gaming" rig, just an entertainment computer for my wife, but may be used in older titles, or lower-resolution games like Minecraft, Oblivion, or Civilization 5.

19-117-554-01.jpg

Well, I don't have a dog, so that's out.

It tastes like metal if I lick the silver part. Reminds me of licking windows.

I plan on using it of course, but I guess I'm mostly curious as to the serious amount of HATE this series of CPU's get, and how that translates in the real world to it's performance. I generally resist fads by nature so I'm curious about the unloved CPU's, and my gaming rig has a 4790k, so I don't need it in my system. I guess I'll just have to get it installed and run Passmark at stock and then clock it up and see where it takes me.

3 minutes ago, mikat said:

it has a fantastic iGPU, just use it for a home pc with some light gaming :)

That's the plan, but I will be benchmarking it pretty much just for the hell of it.

Passmark only has 33 samples of this CPU. Not a heck of a lot of them out there in the wild.

2 minutes ago, f688xt6 said:

That's the plan, but I will be benchmarking it pretty much just for the hell of it.

Passmark only has 33 samples of this CPU. Not a heck of a lot of them out there in the wild.

that's because intel didn't really release it with so much marketing as haswell or skylake :)

1 minute ago, mikat said:

that's because intel didn't really release it with so much marketing as haswell or skylake :)

Yeah, I know. I guess that's why I find them interesting. Like a rare car that was only made in small numbers. That sort of thing.

Looks like it will be overkill for what you are doing without a doubt.

It's about the equivalent of a GTS 450 which is the card right before the GTX 460 Fermi which scores in the 2600.

So that is actually pretty dang impressive for a free GPU power.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3258&cmp[]=1

Just now, DunePilot said:

Looks like it will be overkill for what you are doing without a doubt.

It's about the equivalent of a GTS 450 which is the card right before the GTX 460 Fermi came out which scores in the 2600.

So that is actually pretty dang impressive for a free GPU power.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3258&cmp[]=1

I was just looking at that myself actually. It almost lines up with my trusty old HD5770 in my Minecraft server. And the total TDP is only 65w.

I remember gaming on one of these... score 146.

Man oh man does technology move fast....

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+Go+6800+Ultra&id=

Yup. Even two R9-270x's is outdated. But I really don't want to spring for anything newer at this point. Not yet.

But for the wife's system, Iris Pro will be fine for watching Netflix and cooking shows.

Edited by f688xt6

8 hours ago, f688xt6 said:

I'm mostly curious as to the serious amount of HATE this series of CPU's get

I think this series gets a lot of hate because people bought Z97 boards and temp cpus like the G3258 so they could wait for Broadwell, and Intel effectively never released Broadwell to the US desktop market. But they're phenomenal cpus. But how pissed would you be in that situation to have been waiting for the second generation of Z97 chips to have them never really released? I don't count being able to buy an imported chip shipped from Europe for $500 on the amazon marketplace as the chip being available in the US.

19 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I think this series gets a lot of hate because people bought Z97 boards and temp cpus like the G3258 so they could wait for Broadwell, and Intel effectively never released Broadwell to the US desktop market. But they're phenomenal cpus. But how pissed would you be in that situation to have been waiting for the second generation of Z97 chips to have them never really released? I don't count being able to buy an imported chip shipped from Europe for $500 on the amazon marketplace as the chip being available in the US.

I was one of those people. The 5775C was the chosen one. It was destined to be in my custom ITX build, simply because it was a strong i7 with a low TDP. However, I could not get my hands on one unless i paid $100 more than the 4790k. Glad i did not buy one. In the end, Skylake has everything i need for an ITX build, as i needed 32gb of ram, and Z97 did not have that option on ITX boards. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

12 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

You bring up a perfectly valid point, and now that they're starting to see mainstream availability (at least on Newegg) it's interesting that they're not being used much at all even when considering that issue, since Skylake requires DDR4 and a different chipset.

But to revisit the example of a rare car or something, its often times the lack of marketing or availability that dooms a future collector's item. I'm just wondering if that could be the case with these. And if nothing else, it's different, as well as capable.

I guess time will tell.