[Repost] Microsoft kills Astoria, the Android porting tool

dmegatool

Totally missed the existing post, sorry. 

Other thread

Spoiler

So Microsoft announced that they killed Astoria. The porting tool was meant to make the bridge between Android and Windows apps. All programmers needed to do was to change a couple lines of codes. Sounded too good to be true IMO. I really had high hopes though as everyone knows that apps is the weakest point in the Windows Mobile OS. It's now all on the "iOS bridge" and the fact that the apps are universal. If that doesn't work to get apps on board, Windows Mobile will be dead as death.

Source [TNW]

The news doesn’t come as a surprise: the company put Project Astoria on hold back in November before it was even fully ready.

In a blog post, Microsoft said:

We received a lot of feedback that having two Bridge technologies to bring code from mobile operating systems to Windows was unnecessary, and the choice between them could be confusing. We have carefully considered this feedback and decided that we would focus our efforts on the Windows Bridge for iOS and make it the single Bridge option for bringing mobile code to all Windows 10 devices, including Xbox and PCs.

They just bought Xamarin though, which I wonder if it'll doo anything. 

LTT thread about Xamarin

soon as windows phones can run android/ios apps i will switch from my samsung s6 to windows again

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |