Micrososft is acquiring Xamarin, the key to saving Windows Mobile.

AlTech

Microsoft is acquiring Xamarin, the company behind the Cross platform IDE "Xamarin Studio". Their product, uses MonoDevelop's Mono (which is C# + GTK# 2) and can make apps on Windows Mobile, Android and IOS all on a similar code base.

iVerge.PNG.d83679efeba4de30c723a4606a6f3

It makes it very easy to port apps to all 3 platforms and Windows Mobile's future rests with this acquisition as this will allow microsoft to push for more "cross platform" apps. 

This is what Microsoft had to say:

"We have had a longstanding relationship with Xamarin," writes Scott Guthrie, Microsoft's executive vice president of the company's cloud and enterprise group, in a blog post. "With today’s acquisition announcement we will be taking this work much further to make our world class developer tools and services even better with deeper integration and seamless mobile app dev experiences."

This is what happened:

Microsoft today says it's acquiring mobile app development startup Xamarin for an undisclosed sum, giving the company a tool for building mobile apps that can work across iOS, Android, and Windows phones. Xamarin, which has 15,000 customers including large brand names like Coca-Cola and JetBlue, allows developers to code in a single programming language while designing an app to look native to each platform. Xamarin also offers a way for developers to test those apps using thousands of cloud-hosted devices. One of the four-year-old startup's main products relies on Microsoft's Visual Studio software, so this acquisition is a natural pairing.

Cool. I've been trying Xamarin Studio to make cross platform Mono apps for Windows Desktop, Mac and Linux. This should be really cool.

Leave a comment below! Hvae you ever used Xamarin's products? How do you feel because of this?

Source - iverge

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Xamarin is already inside of Visual Studio, so this won't change too much.

Just now, Kloaked said:

Xamarin is already inside of Visual Studio, so this won't change too much.

Now they will agressibely push devs to make cross platform apps FROM THE START and NOT HAVE TO PORT APPs cos it already works on all.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Now they will agressibely push devs to make cross platform apps FROM THE START and NOT HAVE TO PORT APPs cos it already works on all.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

giphy.gif

Hey! i used a super similar GIF yesterday to show how important devs are :)

I tried windows phone and moved back to Android one a Oneplus One 64GB. The HP Elite x3 looks promising but Microsoft has put way too much R&D into trying to build a market for windows phone where there isnt (the high end that is). I'm not switching back to WindowsPhone until we get apps, and thats original apps - not fake ports by WindowsPhone'rs.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

11 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hey! i used a super similar GIF yesterday to show how important devs are :)

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

3 hours ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

Android one a Oneplus One 64GB

Doesn't make sense at all. Android one devices don't include OPO.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

i actually want to continue owning a Windows Phone, so here's to hope the platform doesnt end up dead by the end of the year. i dread going back to Android. 

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

Interesting development. Since MWC didn't wow me, my next phone is still up in their air. I'm basically waiting on what Google and Microsoft will reveal in regards to their OS direction later in the year and then probably make my next purchase based on whoever makes the most compelling device and OS in the IFA/post-IFA timeframe.

I'm particularly interested in how Microsoft will tackle the present app gap (which, despite lots of initiatives, is still a thing) among other things. We got the BUILD conference coming up in about a month. So that should at least tell us what Microsoft is up to and if their ambitions are grand enough and if they can deliver. The current situation is unsustainable.

8 hours ago, cesrai said:

Doesn't make sense at all. Android one devices don't include OPO.

Android on* a OnePlus One.  simple typo.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I highly doubt this will have any noticeable effect, let along save WP. Microsoft would need to invent time travel in order to save it at this point.

The year of the Windows phone will happen right after the year of the Linux desktop.