Question about resolution

AlbinoTexan

My moniter is old and it's 1280x1024

is that a good or bad resolution? 

Is it HD, is it better the 720p, and 1080, or,is it in the middle?

i can't upgrade I'm just woundering 

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

slight better than 720P but not as great as 1080P

to be full HD you need to have 1920x1080P

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The resolution we all know of is the last part 1290x1024 so that's basically "1024p", its better than 1280x720 (720p 16:9) but not as good as 1980x1080 (1080p 16:9).

Although it also depends heavily on the Monitor size. A 1080p phone screen (5.5in) is higher resolution than a 4k (2160p) TV screen (55in), for example- as the pixels are less, but smaller in size therefore sharper and with a higher "resolution".

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

slight better than 720P but not as great as 1080P

to be full HD you need to have 1920x1080P

But isn't 720p hd?

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

Just now, AlbinoTexan said:

But isn't 720p hd?

yes it HD ready

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

2 minutes ago, AlbinoTexan said:

But isn't 720p hd?

High Definition = 720p

FULL HD = 1080p

QuadHD = 1440p

UltraHD = 4k

1 minute ago, Jade said:

no it's not. HD is defined as 1280x720 with a ratio of 16:9 ; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

on the 4:3 screen you can adjust the aspect ratio

so when you run 1280x720P

you will have the black bars top and bottom of the screen

265176_f520.jpg

7 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

The resolution we all know of is the last part 1290x1024 so that's basically "1024p", its better than 1280x720 (720p 16:9) but not as good as 1980x1080 (1080p 16:9).

Although it also depends heavily on the Monitor size. A 1080p phone screen (5.5in) is higher resolution than a 4k (2160p) TV screen (55in), for example- as the pixels are less, but smaller in size therefore sharper and with a higher "resolution".

A 1080p 5.5 inch phone is not a higher resolution than a 4k TV.

It does however have a higher pixel density.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Just now, rmac52 said:

A 1080p 5.5 inch phone is not a higher resolution than a 4k TV.

It does however have a higher pixel density.

In Physics, resoltuion refers to the ability for 2 separate points to be independently resolved from eachother, or more correctly:

the smallest interval measurable by a telescope or other scientific instrument; the resolving power, the degree of detail visible in a photographic or television image.

Therefore a smaller screen with 1080p is technically "higher resolution" than a larger 4k screen, because the resolving power of the microscope needs to be higher to independently resolve each pixel from eachother.

12 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

you got the first point right but the correct term for your second explanation is pixel density

smaller screen with higher res will have a higher pixel density when compared to a bigger screen but with similar res as the small screen

you got the first point right but the correct term for your second explanation is pixel density

smaller screen with higher res will have a higher pixel density when compared to a bigger screen but with similar res as the small screen

I understand in layman terms that it is pixel density vs pure pixels (which i guess we've got used to calling straightforward resolution). As I explained in a previous post though, technically a 1080p screen is higher res.

720p, 1080p, etc. are terms that are really only used for 16:9 resolutions. That naming scheme is not used for just any old resolution. If you just say 720p is anything with 720 vertical lines, then 1×720 is 720p, 2×720 is 720p, and so forth... and you get the same problem if you use horizontal columns instead. If you want to refer to a specific resolution, you need to specify both dimensions: horizontal and vertical, not just one. The only way you can refer to a resolution by only 1 dimension is if the naming convention implies a certain ratio. 720p implies 16:9, so the other dimension must by 1280.

1280×720 is 720p

1920×1080 is 1080p

1280×1024 is just 1280×1024. In comparison, well the numbers are literally just a physical description of the monitor, width × height in pixels. 1024 height is very similar to 1080, so vertically it's very close to 1080p. But horizontally, 1920 is 50% wider than 1280. So 1080p (1920×1080) would be around one and a half of your monitors horizontally, and about the same vertically.

Talking in pixel amounts... Ye 1280/1024 stands between 710p and 1080p. Then you might also take into considerantion the size of the screen (the area) and check the pixel density...

1280 * 720 = 921600

1280 * 1024 = 1310720

1920 * 1080 = 2073600

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

16 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

In Physics, resoltuion refers to the ability for 2 separate points to be independently resolved from eachother, or more correctly:

the smallest interval measurable by a telescope or other scientific instrument; the resolving power, the degree of detail visible in a photographic or television image.

Therefore a smaller screen with 1080p is technically "higher resolution" than a larger 4k screen, because the resolving power of the microscope needs to be higher to independently resolve each pixel from eachother.

It doesn't matter what it means in physics if we're talking about displays, and in the world of displays, resolution also has a specific (and different) meaning that is very simple: it is the number of pixels.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

Yes and with displays resolution refers to pixel count.  

So when referring to a display 1080p is always a lower resolution than 4k

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

19 hours ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

19 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

That is simply not correct whether you're talking about displays or physics. A small 1080p screen has a lower resolution than a 4K screen of any size, because 1920×1080 cannot display image data with as much precision as a 3840×2160 display, it doesn't matter how large the display is.

In science, resolution refers to the precision of values returned by an instrument. If you have an instrument that measures length which reports values digitally with 2 digits of precision (i.e. 0.01mm or 0.02mm). If you measure something with that instrument and it returns the value of 5.06mm, you would not record that as 5.060000mm. Why? Because what if the object was actually 5.06001mm, or 5.06026mm? Any of these would also be reported as 5.06mm, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of them. So is the object really 5.06000000? 5.0600374? The answer is: you can't know, so you just write down 5.06mm. That question is impossible to answer, the dispute cannot be resolved with the given instrument; a more precise instrument would be required. Any question about the object's length can only be resolved to the maximum precision of the instrument, so the maximum precision is what defines resolution.

An image is just a data set of color measurements. A pixel is a sample point of that data set. A display is a device which reads back images, and it has a limited precision, as it can only show a certain number of sample points in each direction, but the resolution is only about how precisely it can display the data. A smaller display is not any more precise than a larger one.

47 minutes ago, AlbinoTexan said:

My moniter is old and it's 1280x1024

is that a good or bad resolution? 

Is it HD, is it better the 720p, and 1080, or,is it in the middle?

i can't upgrade I'm just woundering 

As for actually answering your question (or to try to)... :)

Your screen has more pixels than a 720p screen, but not as many as 1080p.  However, you can see exactly what a 720p image/video would look like since your screen can display it 1:1, due to it being 1280x1024, and 720p being 1280x720.  Thus, you will have black bars but it will look just as good.

For that reason, I believe you screen would technically be considered "HD" since (for some reason) 720p is considered HD, and you can display that at 1:1, therefore HD :)

However, that's just marketing crap imo and generally when people say HD they mean 1080p or more.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

@Glenwing

interesting read but I wonder then Apple claims of the iPhone, the iPad's and Macbook Pro retina screen seems to me a marketing crap since you mentioned that "A display is a device which reads back images, and it has a limited precision, as it can only show a certain number of sample points in each direction, but the resolution is only about how precisely it can display the data. A smaller display is not any more precise than a larger one. "

just asking is my answer for aspect ratio correct if i were to run 1280x720P on a 4:3 screen is possible?

59 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

@Glenwing

interesting read but I wonder then Apple claims of the iPhone, the iPad's and Macbook Pro retina screen seems to me a marketing crap since you mentioned that "A display is a device which reads back images, and it has a limited precision, as it can only show a certain number of sample points in each direction, but the resolution is only about how precisely it can display the data. A smaller display is not any more precise than a larger one. "

just asking is my answer for aspect ratio correct if i were to run 1280x720P on a 4:3 screen is possible?

Yes, 1280×720 can be run natively on a 1280×1024 display, with black bars.

Retina display is not marketing at all, original iPhones had a 480×320 display, and the iPhone 4 introduced the retina display, with a resolution of 960×640, certainly a higher resolution, which can display the same images with a higher level of precision. You might say well if the screen was much larger, but with the same resolution and same image, then it wouldn't be as sharp, all the pixels would be larger and you would be able to see pixelation much more easily. That's true, but that doesn't mean the resolution has changed. The image is exactly the same, and the number and distribution of sample points of that image shown by the display is exactly the same, so any question about what the color of the image is at any point, whether it's exactly at one of the sample points, or inbetween two, can be resolved to exactly the same precision, and so the resolution is the same.

The perceived sharpness of a display depends on pixel density and viewing distance. If you have two displays with the same resolution and one is much larger physically, then it will appear less sharp because the pixel density is lower, there are less pixels per unit of area. If you want to say that the resolution of the smaller display is higher because the image is much sharper, then it must also be considered that getting further away from a screen will make it effectively "smaller" and thus will achieve the same effect, so then is the display resolution is constantly changing all the time with every little movement of your head? Nonsense.

You can say the same in reverse, bringing a small display closer to your eye will make it "bigger", so the argument that a smaller display will have finer detail doesn't cut any ice at all, if you move close enough to the display you will see all the same details as the large display, which only proves my point; all the detail and information described by the small image is exactly the same as what's described by the larger one, it's just a matter of being able to see it. And whether or not you can see the detail with the naked eye is irrelevant, because that has to do with the resolution of the human eye to resolve detail, not the resolution of the display to present it.

Thread moved to Displays.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

ah yes i totally forget about viewing distance

and yes the image that is display is also another factor

PPI and Pixel Density should be the same right?

ah yes i totally forget about viewing distance

and yes the image that is display is also another factor

PPI and Pixel Density should be the same right?

PPI is pixels per inch, or the number of pixels in one inch along the display, or in other words, how densely the pixels are packed together in physical space. So yes, PPI is a unit of pixel density.