Best Starter Unix OS

Hello everyone, I have a 250gb hdd set to arrive Monday that I plan to run a Unix partition from to use for my software development needs.  However, I have never used a Unix OS before, never Linux or anything.  Im wanted to know what people suggest to start on to learn how to work with the new OS.

Edit: I am thinking of trying Linux Mint Cinnamon, Any thoughts? 

Well technically Linux isn't Unix, hence why GNU stands for GNU's Not Unix. Try a linux distro such as Ubuntu, Mint, or Elementary OS.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

... There's not really any such thing as a "best starter Unix OS", because other than OSX, it's almost never ever ever used by the average joe. Start learning how Linux works before you try and tackle the 800lb gorilla that is Unix.

Unix and Linux are two different things. Linux is a monolithic Unix-like kernel. There's a great starter Linux distribution for people making the initial switch from Windows to Linux that's called Zorin OS. It's Ubuntu based, which in turn is Debian based, so there's guaranteed great community support and it's compatible with a butt-ton of Linux programs and such. (By the way, when downloading programs for Linux online, make sure you're downloading the Debian/Ubuntu package (.deb files) for Debian or Ubuntu-based Distros. Linux Mint, Zorin OS, Elementary OS and Netrunner are all Ubuntu-based. But there's a whole bunch of Linux distributions out there, and they all have their similarities and differences, so I recommend that you first research Linux. Head over to DistroWatch and take a look at the most popular distros and their features. Before installing, learn some of the basic Terminal commands and get to know the Linux filesystem. It's very different from Windows. Once you've done that, download some distros, open VirtualBox or VMWare and try them out until you find one that you like.

TL;DR

Unix isn't Linux and I recommend that you research Linux first.

Get to know the command line, then experiment with a bunch of different distros 'til you find one that you like.

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

"I have pockets in all my shorts." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

Would personally recommend Ubuntu, it has a lot of similarities OSX, if you're familiar with that.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

http://distrowatch.com

BTW, I do not recommend Linux Mint (at all)... Recently their servers suffered a MASSIVE security breech, where hackers where able to change the download link to a modded version that contained a malware application that stole user passwords.

Just now, MagnesiumPC said:

BTW, I do not recommend Linux Mint (at all)... Recently their servers suffered a MASSIVE security breech, where hackers where able to change the download link to a modded version that contained a malware application that stole user passwords.

This is true

"Daddy's going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." -Linus Sebastian 2014 (src)

"I believe in French Fries. I believe in America. I believe in the Union." -Luke Lafreniere 2015 (src)

Just now, Skyber21 said:

This is true

Unrelated to the topic, love you profile picture. xD

9 minutes ago, Skyber21 said:

Unix and Linux are two different things. Linux is a monolithic Unix-like kernel. There's a great starter Linux distribution for people making the initial switch from Windows to Linux that's called Zorin OS. It's Ubuntu based, which in turn is Debian based, so there's guaranteed great community support and it's compatible with a butt-ton of Linux programs and such. (By the way, when downloading programs for Linux online, make sure you're downloading the Debian/Ubuntu package (.deb files) for Debian or Ubuntu-based Distros. Linux Mint, Zorin OS, Elementary OS and Netrunner are all Ubuntu-based. But there's a whole bunch of Linux distributions out there, and they all have their similarities and differences, so I recommend that you first research Linux. Head over to DistroWatch and take a look at the most popular distros and their features. Before installing, learn some of the basic Terminal commands and get to know the Linux filesystem. It's very different from Windows. Once you've done that, download some distros, open VirtualBox or VMWare and try them out until you find one that you like.

TL;DR

Unix isn't Linux and I recommend that you research Linux first.

Get to know the command line, then experiment with a bunch of different distros 'til you find one that you like.

2 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

I really like the look of Mint, is there something else with the same visual feel of Mint? It has a very slick look I like the look of.

Unrelated to the topic, love you profile picture. xD

Just now, Jokerlolz said:

I really like the look of Mint, is there something else with the same visual feel of Mint? It has a very slick look I like the look of.

Wait until they get the breach under control, then try it. In the meantime, Ubuntu is pretty much as close to it as you're gonna get, because it's what Mint is derived from.

I really like the look of Mint, is there something else with the same visual feel of Mint? It has a very slick look I mike the look of.

http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All&notbasedon=None&desktop=Cinnamon&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&status=Active

You seem to like Cinnamon, and the link above provides a lot of Distros that are able to install Cinnamon by default.

I started with Ubuntu years ago when I tried Linux. Did give me a good run but eventually I didn't like their new unity interface but that is the beauty with Linux distributions. A quick open of the terminal or the software centre allowed me to install the good old GNOME I preferred. 

3 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

I see Debian is listed there.  Saying it can use the Cinnamon look.  Im assuming Cinnamon is just the look of the desktop, am I correct in thinking this?

Further, would you recommend Debian with the cinnamon?

1 minute ago, Jokerlolz said:

I see Debian is listed there.  Saying it can use the Cinnamon look.  Im assuming Cinnamon is just the look of the desktop, am I correct in thinking this?

Further, would you recommend Debian with the cinnamon?

Yes you can use debian + cinnamon.

Below is the download page for debian.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/

make sure you click the "debian-live-8.3.0-amd64-cinnamon-desktop.iso" in order to download the proper image.

ALSO, BE SURE TO VERIFY YOUR CHECKSUMS!

ALSO, BE SURE TO VERIFY YOUR CHECKSUMS!

Since that came across with such urgency, let me ask just to be sure.  WHat is that and why is it so important?

Since that came across with such urgency, let me ask just to be sure.  WHat is that and why is it so important?

It verifies the download: haven't been tampered with,  doesn't have corrupted files, and is fully complete with all the correct and required packages.

1 minute ago, MagnesiumPC said:

It verifies the download: haven't been tampered with,  doesn't have corrupted files, and is fully complete with all the correct and required packages.

Okay where do I verify that?

-Edit: I do appreciate all your help in answering all my stupid (or more like uneducated) questions.

4 minutes ago, Jokerlolz said:

Okay where do I verify that?

Since you are running Windows:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM_on_Windows

the ubuntu wiki has a very polished checksum tutorial. (Even though it is written for XP, it still is compatible with Windows10).

Here is your MD5Sum for Debian+Cinnamon.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/MD5SUMS (Make sure you are copying the correct sum).

Since you are running Windows:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM_on_Windows

the ubuntu wiki has a very polished checksum tutorial.

Here is your MD5Sum for Debian+Cinnamon.

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/MD5SUMS (Make sure you are copying the correct sum).

Okay great thank you, I think that is the one I will go with then.  

11 hours ago, MagnesiumPC said:

You just saved somebody, I like it.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

OS X is unix based and by far the most friendly.

But since hackintosh can be a mess and using a windows keyboard with OS X is annoying I recommend Ubuntu, Mint or Elementary OS.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro