What amp do I need ?

Hey guys,

a friend of mine gave me his Monitor Audio gold 60s as a gift. (Gold Reference 60 judging by the google pics)*

I've never had passive speakers and they're pretty big so i dont really know what kind of amp i need to power them..

If some could help me out it would be pretty awesome.

MA G60.JPG

MA G60 back.JPG

Nice speakers now the first thing you want to do is rip those wires out as your friends a idiot for putting them in.
This speaker has three separate types of a speaker built in. two subs one mid and a high, each of those ports is for one of them. What is currently set up could cause damage to the speakers by sending all frequencies to them It would also change the impedance of the speakers which then causes problems with amplification.
What you need to run these speakers are cross over units to separate the audio high mids and lows. You also need a amplifier to receive each of those bit of audio to then send to the speakers.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/past-products/gold-gs/gs60

thats there website what I recommend is you go on that find there email or phone and ask them, also have a look at the manual and the guide on that website.
p.s. get those cables our asap and dont show that photo anywhere else as you would get ripped to shit if anyone sees them.

The Dick of the audio page!

they have been in use for atleast 3 years in that configuration, after that he gave them to me and they sound pretty damn fine to me.

But if you say that it could be bad for them i'll hit up the hifi store in my town they have Monitor Audio in there and ask them about that

On 2/27/2016 at 0:42 PM, EndlessOyster said:

Nice speakers now the first thing you want to do is rip those wires out as your friends a idiot for putting them in.
This speaker has three separate types of a speaker built in. two subs one mid and a high, each of those ports is for one of them. What is currently set up could cause damage to the speakers by sending all frequencies to them It would also change the impedance of the speakers which then causes problems with amplification.
What you need to run these speakers are cross over units to separate the audio high mids and lows. You also need a amplifier to receive each of those bit of audio to then send to the speakers.

thats there website what I recommend is you go on that find there email or phone and ask them, also have a look at the manual and the guide on that website.
p.s. get those cables our asap and dont show that photo anywhere else as you would get ripped to shit if anyone sees them.

Thought That some speakers could support both, like might have an optional crossover inside?

And some receivers support Bi-amping, possibly tri-amping, though i haven't seen that.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On 2/27/2016 at 0:42 PM, EndlessOyster said:

I looked at the manual, says they can be single or bi wired, so i think the cables are fine there

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

Thought That some speakers could support both, like might have an optional crossover inside?

And some receivers support Bi-amping, possibly tri-amping, though i haven't seen that.

I looked up the speakers and its three separate driver inputs so would need 3 separate amps and a cross over unit. (thats what tri amping is)

Just now, spwath said:

I looked at the manual, says they can be single or bi wired, so i think the cables are fine there

Well my mistake but I still wouldnt want to do it like that personally.

Just now, EndlessOyster said:

I looked up the speakers and its three separate driver inputs so would need 3 separate amps and a cross over unit. (thats what tri amping is)

In your link i went to the manual and it said they couldbe single or bi wired.

2 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

Well my mistake but I still wouldnt want to do it like that personally.

Odd thing is it doesn't mention tri-amping despite the fact in his model there are 3 sets of connections.

1 minute ago, McJuicybuns said:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/466434/Monitor-Audio-Gr20.html#product-GR60  it seems like i found the real manual, jugding by what it looks like on google i think my speakers are GR60 not GS60

Ok, it says they can be single, bi, or tri amped, so you are good.

yay.xD 
So.. I got a Cabridge Audio Topaz AM5 with the option to step up to pricier amps.
Should i step up to something like the SR10 ? or other amps? Would it even have an effect on what my audio sounds like, since i'm more of a headphone guy i always thought DACs improve audio quality.

17 minutes ago, McJuicybuns said:

yay.xD 
So.. I got a Cabridge Audio Topaz AM5 with the option to step up to pricier amps.
Should i step up to something like the SR10 ? or other amps? Would it even have an effect on what my audio sounds like, since i'm more of a headphone guy i always thought DACs improve audio quality.

the am5 is no where near powerful enough to power those speakers. The sr10 is just powerful enough.
A amplifier is basically what powers the speaker, if you dont have a powerful enough amp the speaker may not work be very quiet and can damage the speaker. Too powerful of a amp and the speaker will receiver too much power and can again be damaged/blow up (coining of the term blown speaker).
What you want is a amplifier with the right amount of power according to the specifications it say it need something between 60 and 200 Watts but it doesn't say if thats per channel and how its wired up and the manual didnt help me much either which is why i recommend got ask the manufacturer.

i am currently using the AM5 in combination with a FIIO e10k DAC AMP combo that's hooked up to my pc, gets plenty loud and clear

Also i live in an apartment so cranking it up is not something that i plan on doing.