How to back up game data?

Manage My Cables

Hello I play a lot of older games that don't support cloud saving or have any game managers. I recently managed to pick up a nasty virus that stuck like glue and had to factory reset my old Toshiba A660 laptop. I was able to transfer the games onto a new drive. But wasn't sure how to transfer game data.

Thank You  

4 minutes ago, Manage My Cables said:

Hello I play a lot of older games that don't support cloud saving or have any game managers. I recently managed to pick up a nasty virus that stuck like glue and had to factory reset my old Toshiba A660 laptop. I was able to transfer the games onto a new drive. But wasn't sure how to transfer game data.

Thank You  

What games specifically are you talking about? Most have savefiles (eg. Minecraft, Terraria, UPlay games) that you can make a backup of.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

The filenames and types can be whatever the devs made them but back in the olden days .SAV was usually used for savegame data.

Try typing %appdata% in the address field in File Explorer. You may find the files in there. Note that it throws you a step up from \Appdata to \Appdata\Roaming. The files may as well be in \Appdata\Local

Also, check C:\ProgramData\

Both of those folders are hidden so you need to type in the address instead of navigating to them. 

Also look into the Documents library and the installation folder for the game itself.

Steam games are different, then look in the Steam folders.

I5 4460 | Sapphire RX480 Nitro | MSI H81M-E34 | 8 GB | Fractal Design Core 2500 | Silverstone SST-ST50F-PB | Monitor 27-inch EW2750 | Roccat SKELTR+ (giveaway from linus)

My six year old (second rig):

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 | GPU: 1024MB NVIDIA GT 730 under-powered gigabyte GeForce 9800 GT (Gigabyte OP Silent cell stuff) | 4GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz | MOBO: Intel DP43TF | 

Depending on the game, you can check PCGamingWiki and it'll tell you where the savegame location is.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

If the game is not on there then you can do what @Naeaes suggested above by looking in those areas he/she mentioned.

Usually games save under the "My Documents" area in their own folder or in "My Games" under My Documents, otherwise you'd have to check in the %appdata% section in Windows. Very few games I have found actually save in their own folders under Steam.

Razer has a handy app for this, which puts the saves in a drop box account. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 minute ago, Nup said:

Razer has a handy app for this, which puts the saves in a drop box account. 

Thanks ill have to check it out. Would you happen to have a handy dandy link? :)