Would like opinions and possible better options on my build.

taylor.sangrey
Just now, taylor.sangrey said:

Why is it better?

Higher speed with reasonable latency, roughly the same price. Also, as a matter of personal taste, I think they will look better in the build.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

5 minutes ago, brob said:

Higher speed with reasonable latency, roughly the same price. Also, as a matter of personal taste, I think they will look better in the build.

Good point. Added to the list. Thanks my dude.

41 minutes ago, taylor.sangrey said:

Give me an explanation on how it isn't overkill?

Also care to answer another question? You have been very helpful. I really appreciate it!

Will this rig bump my power bill up a shit ton? And this can be plugged into a regular wall outlet?

Depends on how much power costs for you and how much you're planning to play.

A PC will only take as much power as it needs so about 650W-750W would be the amount of power this thing is going to draw.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Depends on how much power costs for you and much you're planning to play.

A PC will only take as much powe as it needs so about 650W-750W would be the amount of power this thing is going to draw.

Right, my friend is saying his dad's rig with octa-core and that is all AMD raises their build like 25 dollars with average usage. If his dad played on it as much as him and his brother did then they said around 50 bucks. Who knows. I can probably just deal with the difference. Can't be THAT much.

5 minutes ago, taylor.sangrey said:

Right, my friend is saying his dad's rig with octa-core and that is all AMD raises their build like 25 dollars with average usage. If his dad played on it as much as him and his brother did then they said around 50 bucks. Who knows. I can probably just deal with the difference. Can't be THAT much.

Probably about $30-40-ish then.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

12 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Depends on how much power costs for you and how much you're planning to play.

A PC will only take as much power as it needs so about 650W-750W would be the amount of power this thing is going to draw.

Also just noticed that the 5820K is 3.3GHz and the 6700K is 4.0GHz. Isn't that bad?

3 minutes ago, taylor.sangrey said:

Also just noticed that the 5820K is 3.3GHz and the 6700K is 4.0GHz. Isn't that bad?

The stock clocks become irrelevant once you overclock both. The 5820K can get to about 4.5-4.8GHz, the 6700K can get slightly higher. Otherwise, they'll both bottleneck the 980Tis at stock speed.

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

The stock clocks become irrelevant once you overclock both. The 5820K can get to about 4.5-4.8GHz, the 6700K can get slightly higher. Otherwise, they'll both bottleneck the 980Tis at stock speed.

So I have HAVE to overclock?

1 hour ago, taylor.sangrey said:

So I have HAVE to overclock?

Ideally, yes.

1. You're restricting your 980Tis in games. It's basically free performance.

2. It's a waste of money to get an unlocked CPU, motherboard and a premium CPU AIO watercooler and not overclock it.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Ideally, yes.

1. You're restricting your 980Tis in games. It's basically free performance.

2. It's a waste of money to get an unlocked CPU, motherboard and a premium CPU AIO watercooler and not overclock it.

Wouldn't that draw a shit ton of electricity though? And thank you so much again for humoring all my stupid questions. Can you check the revised build one last time to make sure everything seems good?

15 hours ago, taylor.sangrey said:

Base clock is only part of the performance equation. The i7-5820K has six hyperthreaded cores, allowing for twelve concurrently executing threads. The i7-6700K has four hyperthreaded cores, eight concurrently executing threads.

Most gaming titles are lightly threaded so the generally higher clock speed of an i7-6700K is a better choice for them. However, a few games and a number of other applications, (like video editing/rendering), are more heavily threaded which makes the i7-5820K a better choice.

The difference is more complicated than this as the i7-6700K (Skylake) cores are the latest generation while the i7-5820K (Haswell) are the previous generation. Benchmarks suggest that Skylake cores are roughly 3%-5% more powerful than Haswell at the same clock.

So it is not a question of good or bad. One has to understand how a system will be used to determine the optimal cpu choice. In the end either cpu is going to deliver enough performance for all but the most homogeneous and specialized of work flows.

5 hours ago, brob said:

Base clock is only part of the performance equation. The i7-5820K has six hyperthreaded cores, allowing for twelve concurrently executing threads. The i7-6700K has four hyperthreaded cores, eight concurrently executing threads.

Most gaming titles are lightly threaded so the generally higher clock speed of an i7-6700K is a better choice for them. However, a few games and a number of other applications, (like video editing/rendering), are more heavily threaded which makes the i7-5820K a better choice.

The difference is more complicated than this as the i7-6700K (Skylake) cores are the latest generation while the i7-5820K (Haswell) are the previous generation. Benchmarks suggest that Skylake cores are roughly 3%-5% more powerful than Haswell at the same clock.

So it is not a question of good or bad. One has to understand how a system will be used to determine the optimal cpu choice. In the end either cpu is going to deliver enough performance for all but the most homogeneous and specialized of work flows.

Well I plan to SLI Bridge another 980 Ti, eventually get back into youtube and possibly stream on twitch. So what would you suggest then? (I would be running the OBS software which from my understanding is very resource heavy)

6 minutes ago, taylor.sangrey said:

Well I plan to SLI Bridge another 980 Ti, eventually get back into youtube and possibly stream on twitch. So what would you suggest then? (I would be running the OBS software which from my understanding is very resource heavy)

I would likely pick the i7-5820K if I fully expected to get into the described activities. But either cpu should do a good job.

1 minute ago, brob said:

I would likely pick the i7-5820K if I fully expected to get into the described activities. But either cpu should do a good job.

Okay great, and even if I don't end up doing so. It's like a dollar price difference I think... So basically it won't matter because still around same performance.