Want to be cooler

onlos

My current setup is running on all standard cooling systems given with parts i was wondering on a few opinions i understand the MSI GTX 960 4GB Gaming has no really water cooling market from what i've seen and might consider changing up graphic cards for this reason(If done i was looking at the GTX 970 or the R9 390 within reason of price) . I've never done water cooling before and looking to start trying something. Other things not mentioned in link i have the NZXT 440 Razer Edition for a case, my PSU is a Corsair CX750, and i do have an additional 1TB Hard Drive other stats are here: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10975263

So what is your question? Are you asking us if you can WC or are you asking us if you should upgrade before WC? Or am I missing the ball all together here?

Water Cooling can be pretty expensive and optimizing your airflow can make a bigger difference than you might think. I'd get a good CPU cooler and then your system should be pretty quiet and cool.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

These will make you look cooler:

oakley-gascan-sunglasses-03-473.jpg

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

4 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

So what is your question? Are you asking us if you can WC or are you asking us if you should upgrade before WC? Or am I missing the ball all together here?

Well i know i can WC like with my CPU but havent see anything for my GPU is it worth upgrading to like a 970 where WC products are more out there or would it be better of just doing more airflow?

And Jacktastic if you think just getting a CPU cooler what would you think would be a good idea for one?

5 minutes ago, onlos said:

Well i know i can WC like with my CPU but havent see anything for my GPU is it worth upgrading to like a 970 where WC products are more out there or would it be better of just doing more airflow?

Ah.

Well put it like this, to water cool your GPU alone you are looking at around £300 for all the bits and bobs (420USD) and if you add in a CPU block add another £50 or so. 

For this price you could upgrade your GPU to maybe a 980 or a 390.

But IMO it is not worth water cooling a 960 as everything you will need to do it will be more than the price of your card. 

1 minute ago, KE2012 said:

Ah.

Well put it like this, to water cool your GPU alone you are looking at around £300 for all the bits and bobs (420USD) and if you add in a CPU block add another £50 or so. 

For this price you could upgrade your GPU to maybe a 980  cheap or a 390.

But IMO it is not worth water cooling a 960 as everything you will need to do it will be more than the price of your card. 

So at the end of the day i should just looking to a CPU cooler thats not the stock one and see how that works out then

2 minutes ago, onlos said:

So at the end of the day i should just looking to a CPU cooler thats not the stock one and see how that works out then

That is up to you. But if I was you I would invest the money you were going to invest in your loop into a newer higher hp gpu and then waterloop.  

Better CPU cooler (to lower the noise mostly) and if you can do what ever you want to do on your computer somehow good I would wait for the next gen of GPUs and by a better one then. I would then suggest you go for a x70 not a x60 again. You will get more for your money.

15 minutes ago, onlos said:

And Jacktastic if you think just getting a CPU cooler what would you think would be a good idea for one?

actually , you can either add it to a custom loop OR buy a gpu aio

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Any suggestions for CPU Coolers for the Intel Core i5-4690?

5 minutes ago, onlos said:

Any suggestions for CPU Coolers for the Intel Core i5-4690?

I just used 14 "be quiet! BK009 Pure Rock " for our universitys pcs they are not that expensive and pretty silent. only drawback... ITS BIG

Edit: Mounting it is nice (if mounting any cpu cooler can be called nice)

nzxt g10 cooler bracket for a corsair h55. brought the idle temps of my 970 down to 20c and load temps to 50c. all for £70.

2 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

nzxt g10 cooler bracket for a corsair h55. brought the idle temps of my 970 down to 20c and load temps to 50c. all for £70.

Thats not compatible with the 960 though right?

reference 960 is listed as compatible. i put mine on a non reference card and with a bit of fiddling i got it to fit my strix edition and kept the backplate. i added a load of heat sinks to my vram vrm's and added an exhaust fan to the bottom of the case right under the card. works great.

3 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

reference 960 is listed as compatible. i put mine on a non reference card and with a bit of fiddling i got it to fit my strix edition and kept the backplate. i added a load of heat sinks to my vram vrm's and added an exhaust fan to the bottom of the case right under the card. works great.

Nice looks like i might just go watercooling route then thanks

I'm more than impressed with the results I've got compared to what its cost me. was just an experiment really before going for a full custom loop but i think ill just throw another aio onto my cpu and call it a day at that tbh

5 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

I'm more than impressed with the results I've got compared to what its cost me. was just an experiment really before going for a full custom loop but i think ill just throw another aio onto my cpu and call it a day at that tbh

Yeah thats my plan now grab 2 of those H55 1 for the GPU and 1 for the CPU

9 hours ago, onlos said:

You can get a universal waterblock for your GPU from the likes of EK and others for the 960, if you want more power then an upgrade to a 970 might be worth it but that is really down to you.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd