Can you think of a reason why......

exyia

Started up Far Cry 3 for the first time and the same thing that annoys the crap out of me with every new game I start happens

Finding a sensitivity that feels comfortable/similar to other games

What I simply don't understand is why games can't just use the Windows mouse sensitivity setting? WHY WHY WHY does every game have to implement their OWN sensitivity scaling?

Why can't they take the windows sensitivity, then maybe have their own sensitivity slider change the windows setting (and change it back when the game closes)? or just not include a sensitivity setting in-game at all...

This just drives me insane because every game's sensitivity slider is different, and it's just some arbitrary value that most of the time that I can't correlate to anything

Just needed to rant. this ticks me off when I start a new game...I run 1600dpi with almost 0 on the slider for BF3, yet for FC3 I have to run 800dpi with 0 on the slider and it still feels wrong

thoughts, opinions, etc?

there is a way to do this, measure the distance you have to move your mouse from the center to the side of your screen, and in game sync it by turning to the edge of the screen you started at

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

there is a way to do this, measure the distance you have to move your mouse from the center to the side of your screen, and in game sync it by turning to the edge of the screen you started at

I know

and even with 0 on the slider and down to 800dpi on the mouse, it's still TOO sensitive

so now I have to mess with other methods like windows sensitivity, dpi, or individual game profiles with mouse software and whatnot

I don't understand why games feel the need to mess with sensitivity - we have windows sensitivity and gaming mice have dpi/software adjustments. I just want games to take in the same sensitivity that I've been using - quit applying their own slider/scaling and making me waste time just to get back to where I was

Well, on the other side of the spectrum, like the per game sensitivity, because I play Far Cry on a low in game sensitivity, and BF3 on a higher sensitivity. If it used Windows, it would take away a lot from how each game handles for me personally 

Well, on the other side of the spectrum, like the per game sensitivity, because I play Far Cry on a low in game sensitivity, and BF3 on a higher sensitivity. If it used Windows, it would take away a lot from how each game handles for me personally 

but why not have the game change the windows sensitivity? why add another scaling element that we all have to deal with?

so you have the DPI sensitivity

then it's factored/scaled by windows, which applies to all programs

then we have some random number/value which is different across every game that further scales that....for what reason? nobody finds that unnecessary and annoying?

Being in mobile I can't properly reply, but I like having all my different sensitivities because I rock a 5600 dpi. And having a different value of everything works for me.

but why not have the game change the windows sensitivity? why add another scaling element that we all have to deal with?

so you have the DPI sensitivity

then it's factored/scaled by windows, which applies to all programs

then we have some random number/value which is different across every game that further scales that....for what reason? nobody finds that unnecessary and annoying?

Windows sensitivity is really clumsy. You really don't want to change it from 6/11 (perfect 1:1 movement). 3/11 is arguably okay as well, but in-game sensitivity adjustment is probably superior most of the time.

A standardized measurement of in-game sensitivity adjustment would certainly be nice, though.