HTC Vive or Oculus Rift? Or wait?

Johnmakuta

I want you to take into account how backed up oculus rift preorders are (Q2 2016 last I heard). This is my build: 

• i7-5820K (under a Cooler Master V8)
  • 32 GBs of 2133 MHz DDR4 memory
  • MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Motherboard (I bought it for the monoblock, I am already having remorse over buying that expensive a motherboard so don't mention it)
  • GTX 770 2 GBs of GDDR5 (upgrading to a 980 ti, 390X, or new pascal/Polaris card when they come out)

I really like the Vive but I am worried about game compatibility (thought I know Steam is going to fix that over time). I also don't like the games that come with the Vive verse the Rift's games. I like the cameras and controllers on the Vive but I like the Rift controllers even more. Also, what ha-penned to the Vive's cool painting game?

I also realize that the current gen headsets are missing a lot of key features that will improve immersion over time like:

• eye tracking
  • g-sync or v-sync
  • higher refresh rates 
  • higher resolutions
  • more/better sensors 
  • More support for SLI
  • Better controllers
  • cross platform support
  • more standardized parts for multiple uses of a single product.

at this points its hard to say buy either, competing stands will lead to compatability issues, lack of content, lack of refinement, very few AAA VR games, expensive, probably buggy etc

At this point they are toys for early adopters, the vive does appear to be the better device, the rife is the most well known supproted

but if valve are backing the vive, it will quickly become more heavily adopters

At this point, wait, unless you have the money to blow

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'd say wait. The technology will only get better and cheaper over time

HP Pavilion p007tx (i5 4210u, gt840m, 8GB DDR3 memory and a 1 TB HDD that makes cool sounds when booting up) 

Since my laptop can't run modern games too well I use a PS4

I've got the CV1 ordered, however I might just cancel it for the vive, it comes with the controllers, room tracking, camera on the front. The only thing that the oculus has over the vive is the software atm, however with valve behind it I would imagine that the vive would overtake. I just want to try leap motion with the new orion tracking, it looks freaking sweet. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

A fellow CM V8 user, I'm proud

Just wait. Just wait for release.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

If you really want to be a part of showing that there is demand and you want to support development of the tech feel free to invest. That said, there is no guarantee that this will go anywhere. Remember how hot 3D television and gaming monitors were in 2011-2013. They were going to be the thing to have. 3D gaming! 3D movies! 

Where are all of the 3D games and 3D TVs now? The technology wasn't widely adopted. People hated it. And it became a footnote as TVs moved onto things like 4k UHD. 

I recently got to use an Oculus Dev Kit 2 headset. The experience was interesting and has promise...but I just didn't see it as being ready for full adoption for a wider consumer market. The software and killer aps aren't there. The hardware is VERY expensive for your average consumer (think about a kid trying to get mom or dad to buy it for Christmas). And the hardware required to run at high constant frame rates (note; not max frame rates, but a high constant frame rate that doesn't ever dip below 80 or 90 fps) is either not available or super super expensive.

With all of this in mind...I'm optimistic that this technology might go somewhere. But for now it's truly a high end toy for early adopters. And I'm not optimistic enough to put that kind of money into the hope or promise of something amazing down the road. I would personally wait and see. Once they start being used by more and more people, will the support from developers really be there? Will the ability to run them become more cost effective? What will be the killer app that will result in mass adoption? And perhaps most importantly, will these just be another 3D flash in the pan of coolness that will be a distant snarky memory in a few years? 

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Wait, What if this all flunks out and no major games come out for it? or at least support it? I imagine since this will probably stick there will be cheaper headsets to come. This technology although the idea is old, actually making this technology on this level is quite new. Eventually this might become more mainstream and by then it'll be much, much cheaper. I'm really hoping the release of the vive comes along with my suspicions that it'll come out alongside HL3, but that's opinion and off topic. Unless you have $600+ dollars burning a hole in your pocket for whatever reason then well... if you really want it go for it, otherwise wait 

ATM Vive, for the Steam integration, but only if you really really want/need it. Personally I would wait.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!