Apple vs Windows?

Disordia

So im starting my studies soon and i was thinking about getting myself a new computer. And i have latley seen that people in college mostly prefer the macbook air/pro, not only in college but also in general. Now i have a budget around 1-2000 $ i wish to spend on a laptop. Which is around what a mac air/pro is around. But is it just a trend or is macbook something to really go for when you are starting your studies.

"Im not going too be gaming or anything", i just want a fast bootable pc, which can hold several programs, tabs open, lasts long on a single battery life and last but not least be quite light so there is no issues with carrying it.

Im also wondering about the Operative system, i kind of find the windows 10 layout too look clunky and ugly :/ but if that is a better choice i have to go for it :)

Hope you understood my question.

1 minute ago, Disordia said:

So im starting my studies soon and i was thinking about getting myself a new computer. And i have latley seen that people in college mostly prefer the macbook air/pro, not only in college but also in general. Now i have a budget around 1-2000 $ i wish to spend on a laptop. Which is around what a mac air/pro is around. But is it just a trend or is macbook something to really go for when you are starting your studies.

"Im not going too be gaming or anything", i just want a fast bootable pc, which can hold several programs, tabs open, lasts long on a single battery life and last but not least be quite light so there is no issues with carrying it.

Im also wondering about the Operative system, i kind of find the windows 10 layout too look clunky and ugly :/ but if that is a better choice i have to go for it :)

Hope you understood my question.

Some of the newer macbooks are great for college. I'd also take a look at the new Dells, and HP's, or ASUS. 

Also, check out this LTT video: 

I hope this helps, good luck.

The dell XPS 13 is nice also the surface book is cool. 

if you want to do gaming a razer blade would be a good choice 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

I have used a mac for College and have had it for over 5 years now. I have also built a Windows computer and have loved being able to do more unique things for that. I think it depends on what you want to do with the computer. If you want to play games at all then get a windows. If you want it to be simple then stick with an apple

• CPUi5-4460
  • MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VII Hero
  • RAMG. Skills Ripjaws 4x4
  • GPUXFX Radeon R9 280 Black
  • CaseNZXT Noctis 450
  • Storage120 GB Kingston SSD; 1TB HDD
  • PSUCorsair HX 850 GOLD
  • Display(s)LG 34UC97
  • CoolingCooler Master V8 GTS
  • KeyboardRazer Blackwidow
  • MouseMad Catz R.A.T. 7
  • Operating SystemWin 10

Generally, most windows would win, because the apple is softer than a glass window. But sometimes old, thin windows could break if you through an apple through it. The answer is it depends. 

What kind of classes are you taking? It seems lots of creative types use mac, and the development and coding side is more windows.

Outside of technology classes, you can't go wrong with either. For up to 2k you can get a great laptop that suites your needs. 

Specs I would recommend:

Avoid Core M processors

You want at least a 1080P screen

A Solid state hard drive

and at least 8 GB of ram, shoot for 16.

Personally I am going with the Acer Aspire R13. It's got a switchable screen and powerful processor. I look forward to using it draw and be a tablet and quickly become a laptop with no extra pieces. 

Either way you can be accommodated. 

Just now, DaltonM said:

Generally, most windows would win, because the apple is softer than a glass window. But sometimes old, thin windows could break if you through an apple through it. The answer is it depends. 

What kind of classes are you taking? It seems lots of creative types use mac, and the development and coding side is more windows.

Outside of technology classes, you can't go wrong with either. For up to 2k you can get a great laptop that suites your needs. 

Specs I would recommend:

Avoid Core M processors

You want at least a 1080P screen

A Solid state hard drive

and at least 8 GB of ram, shoot for 16.

Personally I am going with the Acer Aspire R13. It's got a switchable screen and powerful processor. I look forward to using it draw and be a tablet and quickly become a laptop with no extra pieces. 

Either way you can be accommodated. 

Yeah, i have been looking at tablets and such, but im more going into the laptop kinda guy. And please dont judge me for this, but i kind of feel that design has a huge impact on what i want too choose. And the Macbooks looks pretty slim and nice, including the lenovo yoga 3 (but i dont find it quite suiting just there).

I'm not gonna get into the inevitable war thats gonna follow due to the title, however I do wanna point out the flaw in your question: "apple vs windows." Apple is a company. Windows is an operating system. That would be like comparing OSX to Microsoft. Apple's operating system is OSX. Microsoft's operating system is windows. There, im done. xD

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

save your money and buy a used hp folio 9470m for 300$.  then take your extra money and buy 16gb of ram for it (which it supports), an ssd if it dosnt come with one and also the secondary battery,  Its my choice in a laptop because its cheap, very easy to take apart, upgrade, repair ect.  It features a backlit keyboard and is very similar to the layout of a macbook.  Also with the extended battery pack it never dies.  I played 6 hours of RE5 on it before reaching 20% battery.

2 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

I'm not gonna get into the inevitable war thats gonna follow due to the title, however I do wanna point out the flaw in your question: "apple vs windows." Apple is a company. Windows is an operating system. That would be like comparing OSX to Microsoft. Apple's operating system is OSX. Microsoft's operating system is windows. There, im done. xD

haha, i cought you in my net!

2 minutes ago, jackm1120 said:

save your money and buy a used hp folio 9470m for 300$.  then take your extra money and buy 16gb of ram for it (which it supports), an ssd if it dosnt come with one and also the secondary battery,  Its my choice in a laptop because its cheap, very easy to take apart, upgrade, repair ect.  It features a backlit keyboard and is very similar to the layout of a macbook.  Also with the extended battery pack it never dies.  I played 6 hours of RE5 on it before reaching 20% battery.

Yes i would do that, but its my school funding it so either im all in or not :P

Okay, as someone who is quite comfortable using both, I'd suggest a MacBook Pro. Its thin, light, amazingly well made, the keyboard/trackpad are absolutely the best I've used on any device especially with the gestures. If you grab a 15", especially with a dGPU then it will be plenty powerful as well. Similar (in terms of overall quality rather than power per dollar) options on the Windows side would be a Razer Blade (Stealth or otherwise) or a Surface Book if you want a tablet too.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

You should rename your title so you don't start a flame war. 

Magical Pineapples

Just now, Disordia said:

Yeah, i have been looking at tablets and such, but im more going into the laptop kinda guy. And please dont judge me for this, but i kind of feel that design has a huge impact on what i want too choose. And the Macbooks looks pretty slim and nice, including the lenovo yoga 3 (but i dont find it quite suiting just there).

The aspire is more of a laptop first, that's why I would choose it. And based on it's specs it's a killer deal

If you're all in or not blow the budget! Don't get a mac, you can get the most beautiful high performance Ferrari laptop there is on the windows platform at the 2k price point 

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

You should rename your title so you don't start a flame war. 

Nah, it peeks interest. Gets me answers faster :) 

if you're going for productivity, go for windows. Mac os imo is not great for power users that don't do content creation cause everything takes a click or press more to do the same task. The build quality and battery life can also be had with a pc, and you'll save some money or get a better bang for your buck. Unless you're heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem, I would go with a XPS 13, Razer stealth or some other good laptop.

Just now, DaltonM said:

The aspire is more of a laptop first, that's why I would choose it. And based on it's specs it's a killer deal

If you're all in or not blow the budget! Don't get a mac, you can get the most beautiful high performance Ferrari laptop there is on the windows platform at the 2k price point 

Which ferrari laptops are we talking about then? I kind of want to fit into too college so please keep the flaming MSI Laptops or green breathing dragon razer laptops out :P 

1 minute ago, asiancorruption said:

if you're going for productivity, go for windows. Mac os imo is not great for power users that don't do content creation cause everything takes a click or press more to do the same task. The build quality and battery life can also be had with a pc, and you'll save some money or get a better bang for your buck. Unless you're heavily invested in Apple's ecosystem, I would go with a XPS 13, Razer stealth or some other good laptop.

The XPS 13 peaked my interest, but is it lightweighted?

3 minutes ago, Disordia said:

Nah, it peeks interest. Gets me answers faster :) 

It against COC which you didn't read.

Magical Pineapples

Just now, MrUnknownEMC said:

It against COC which you didn't read.

Well, i obviously didnt do it on purpose :/ 

If you go with apple, your paying for the esteticly pleasing computer, not the specs.  Apples specs are usally pretty aweful for what your paying.  Then again that primium price just might make your life a bit easier, even if the specs are awful.

Just now, Disordia said:

The XPS 13 peaked my interest, but is it lightweighted?

it's pretty light. The specs are pretty good. skylake i5-i7, ddr4 RAM, pcie ssd. It's basically what you'd get on a Macbook pro. I'm pretty sure the mbp has NVME flash ssds, but that doesn't really matter if you don't do content creation.

6 minutes ago, Disordia said:

Which ferrari laptops are we talking about then? I kind of want to fit into too college so please keep the flaming MSI Laptops or green breathing dragon razer laptops out :P 

Well, Apple laptops will have the same kind of attention cause they're both expensive. Except you'll be considered more of a gamer person. Gaming laptops have garbage battery life tho so thats still out of the question for you

1 minute ago, asiancorruption said:

Well, Apple laptops will have the same kind of attention cause they're both expensive. Except you'll be considered more of a gamer person. Gaming laptops have garbage battery life tho so thats still out of the question for you

Yeah, i have bad self-esteem. Im probably going to go for either the Macbook air or pro :) Thanks alot everyone. 

What are you studying? I can tell you from first hand experience from laughing at my OSX using friends that if it is engineering OSX will not work as all the programs are for windows.

Well considering this has been quite a hot button topic for a lot of people into tech. Now the general population of this forum is probably going to say Microsoft/Windows. However I think it's a personal choice, if you like the Apple ecosystem and perhaps even have invested into Apple's ecosystem already then Apple/OS X is going to be better for you. Though if you want a little more flexibility in what you can do with the OS then Windows is pretty good. Linux ultimately offers more freedom with what you can do to/with the OS.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization