[Asking Advice] I'm really 18, aren't I...

freexavier

I have turned 18 since Oct. 22th of 2015, but I still feel like and think like a 17 year old. There was a time when some of my friends asked me about my age, I instantly told them I was 17 without much thought, forgetting that I already turned 18 a month ago. It took me another month to totally recall of what I told them and recalling of being 18, and had to go back to them and explain that I was actually 18 and that I just forgotten, which was really funny to explain.

I still occasionally forget that I'm already 18, still stuck with the mindset of being 17. I myself, find it hard to believe that I'm  already 18. If was asked of my age, my mind would instantly come up with an answer of 17, but after some extra thought, then I recall being 18. As I say that I'm 18, I feel like I'm lying to myself and to people while saying said words.

I think I know why I feel like this. It is probably because I expected 18 to be a serious change in life, but for me, my life didn't feel like it had changed.  I still live the same way as I always have, same as back when being 17. Also, back when I turned 18, I started feel depression and anxiety, feeling that I have a lot of responsibilities would and are starting to weight down on me, since I'm the second eldest of a family of 4 siblings. Although I'm not really sure...

I'm sharing this to possibly get some advice, since it better to ask for help than doing nothing at all, and I don't know any familiar places where I can share this, other than here.

Edit:

And no, I don't suffer from any memory loss or the sort. My memory is actually good, in fact.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

It's one year difference, holy shit. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

9 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

It's one year difference, holy shit. 

I know, that why it concerns be a little. That is why I'm trying to find an answer to something, I myself don't know, really...

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

17 or 18. In my eyes there is no difference really. When you get to be 51 almost 52 and you still feel feel like you're only 18, come talk to me.

I remember when I was your age and thought "I've got my big boy pants on now!!' I look back and realize that I was just a kid. When I joined the USMC at 19 I thought I was grown up then too. Lol still a kid.

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

2 minutes ago, freexavier said:

I know, that why it concerns be a little. That is why I'm trying to find an answer to something, I myself don't know, really...

Well, you're not going to notice a huge change no matter what age you've changed to. I'm sure this year when I turn 20, I'm not going to feel any different to how I do now. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

You'll get used to it. Honestly I'm forgetting my age most of the time, when someone ask me how old I am, I need a few seconds to even give the answer because I just forget it all the time. When you're an adult, you reach a point when it's not important anymore and the only time you should care about it is when you're filling some kind of governmental paper or whatever. Which is why many other people also forget their age and often say they are a year or two younger because they don't remember.

It's a similar thing with new years, people still say/write 2015 instead of 2016... it's just a year thing and applies to birthdays. Don't mind it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It's a similar thing with new years, people still say/write 2015 instead of 2016... it's just a year thing and applies to birthdays. Don't mind it.

This.

44 minutes ago, freexavier said:

I still occasionally forget that I'm already 18, still stuck with the mindset of being 17.

I think I know why I feel like this. It is probably because I expected 18 to be a serious change in life, but for me, my life didn't feel like it had changed.  I still live the same way as I always have, same as back when being 17. I still live the same way as I always have, same as back when being 17. Also, back when I turned 18, I started feel depression and anxiety, feeling that I have a lot of responsibilities would and are starting to weight down on me, since I'm the second eldest of a family of 4 siblings. Although I'm not really sure...

Few points:

- It's a one year difference. Nothing miraculous will happen.

- You're being a teenager. A bit late to the game though. Or maybe you're just overreacting.

- Do your parents ask you for any contribution to your family's income ? Do you have a job ? I was 19 when I graduated college and started working and I didn't feel much difference.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

29 minutes ago, SeriouslyMikey said:

Well, you're not going to notice a huge change no matter what age you've changed to. I'm sure this year when I turn 20, I'm not going to feel any different to how I do now. 

I see... So I'm not the only who has this issue.

27 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Go see a doctor and tell him/her this exact issue you are having.  If they offer you drugs, never go to that doctor again.

I doubt a doctor would help.

6 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

You'll get used to it. Honestly I'm forgetting my age most of the time, when someone ask me how old I am, I need a few seconds to even give the answer because I just forget it all the time. When you're an adult, you reach a point when it's not important anymore and the only time you should care about it is when you're filling some kind of governmental paper or whatever. Which is why many other people also forget their age and often say they are a year or two younger because they don't remember.

Time pass by really fast, doesn't it...

1 minute ago, Ddave said:

This.

Few points:

- It's a one year difference. Nothing miraculous will happen.

- You're being a teenager. A bit late to the game though. Or maybe you're just overreacting.

- Do your parents ask you for any contribution to your family's income ? Do you have a job ? I was 19 when I graduated college and started working and I didn't feel much difference.

Well no... Just little things. Also, I just feel like more is expected of me being 18. Also, I just don't want to grow up yet, I want to stay young and continue to play games and have a lot of free time.

Just now, freexavier said:

Time pass by really fast, doesn't it...

It really does when you're busy with life (work/school/everything else)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, freexavier said:

Well no... Just little things. Also, I just feel like more is expected of me being 18. Also, I just don't want to grow up yet, I want to stay young and continue to play games and have a lot of free time.

Sigh.

tumblr_m85xlixFzd1rcptk5o1_500-1_6120245

age3.jpg

Age is not a requirement for playing games.

http://esports.inquirer.net/6005/the-real-old-man-dota-66-year-old-grandpa-plays-dota-2-all-day

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

It really does when you're busy with life (work/school/everything else)

Not to mention playing a lot of video games.

Just now, Ddave said:

True, I guess... That helps me feel better, thanks.

10 hours ago, branden_lucero said:

i'm almost 30 and i still feel like i'm a teen. :dry:

I got say that is a big gap

I use a calculator sometimes to figure out how old my wife and I are. I honestly forget sometimes so I just subtract the birth year from the current year to find out. Also, on multiple occasions, my wife has corrected me when I say the incorrect age for myself. As I'm typing this up, I couldn't tell you how old I am, either 31 or 32.

That being said, after being married for 8+ years I congratulated my wife 2 months ago for finally becoming an adult because she made her first deposit into her 401k. :)

-KuJoe

I've been 18 for about 6 months now but got a fake ID form about a month after my 17th so in my head I've been 18 for some time. Alot of my friends are into there twenties also which helps with the realization. But the biggest thing for me was when making accounts that you have to be 18 for that I can now put in my actual DoB aha

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

2 minutes ago, IAcKI said:

I've been 18 for about 6 months now but got a fake ID form about a month after my 17th so in my head I've been 18 for some time. Alot of my friends are into there twenties also which helps with the realization. But the biggest thing for me was when making accounts that you have to be 18 for that I can now put in my actual DoB aha

That is one of the nice things to be 18, I guess, and not having to lie about your age.

Just now, freexavier said:

That is one of the nice things to be 18, I guess, and not having to lie about your age.

The biggest thing that annoys me is when I was 17 and going to pubs I got ID'd half as much as I do now I'm 18 aha!

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

I might be 32 on the outside, but I'm still 17 on the inside. I mean 7.

Linus is my fetish.

9 minutes ago, Bhav said:

I might be 32 on the inside, but I'm still 17 on the inside. I mean 7.

I can see that

im 25 and still act like im 12

Your age has no direct effect on your mindset, attitudes or maturity - that all comes through life experience

I was literally making fart noises down skype yesterday

I am no sure what you expect to happen, when you become 18 you dont suddenly become an adult in your head, even when you turn 60, you will still feel the same in your mind

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, freexavier said:

I can see that

Edited to make much more sense.

Linus is my fetish.

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

im 25 and still act like im 12

Your age has no direct effect on your mindset, attitudes or maturity - that all comes through life experience

I was literally making fart noises down skype yesterday

I am no sure what you expect to happen, when you become 18 you dont suddenly become an adult in your head, even when you turn 60, you will still feel the same in your mind

I can see... This words of all you guys are cheering me up a little. I can see a little better now on understanding

1 minute ago, freexavier said:

I can see... This words of all you guys are cheering me up a little. I can see a little better now on understanding

Don't try grow up too fast, life is short, im 25 now, and im like.. even if I was lucky to live to 100, im over a quarter of the way through my life, if not more like a third (assuming notihng kills me)

I mean... life is short, dont rush, dont want to grow up

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 minutes ago, freexavier said:

HAAHHAAH dude i am 23. Got kicked out of the house when i was 14 but i still feel like 18. infact its scary to tell people i am 23 coz then i think back and just wow at myself hahahah  18 wasnt a huge number for me at all coz i was already living on my own ect