Underclocking

I have a 4690k that runs extremely hot on the stock cooler at 3.5 GhZ, (I saw it reach 90 degrees).

I decided to underclock it until I can clean the cooler and also re apply it with a better thermal paste.

It is currently running at 3GhZ but I haven't touched the voltage at all, should I reduce it and run Prime 95 for a couple of minutes/hours to see what happens or should I leave it as is?, now with prime95 it reaches 86 degrees but after playing CSGO it barely got to 76 max.

P.S: I cannot buy a component for a while but I am planning on either a Cryorig H7 or a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 (not Dark Rock Pro 3 as it doesnt fit the s340)

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

Just now, CookiezFort said:

I have a 4690k that runs extremely hot on the stock cooler at 3.5 GhZ, (I saw it reach 90 degrees).

I decided to underclock it until I can clean the cooler and also re apply it with a better thermal paste.

It is currently running at 3GhZ but I haven't touched the voltage at all, should I reduce it and run Prime 95 for a couple of minutes/hours to see what happens or should I leave it as is?, now with prime95 it reaches 86 degrees but after playing CSGO it barely got to 76 max.

P.S: I cannot buy a component for a while but I am planning on either a Cryorig H7 or a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 (not Dark Rock Pro 3 as it doesnt fit the s340)

which prime95 version? what voltage is it running at?

to reach lower temps you need to undervolt

1 minute ago, CookiezFort said:

Well, 90C running what?

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Yes, you have to. Voltage is a huuge temperature factor when you over/underclock.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

2 minutes ago, CookiezFort said:

Pretty sure Prime95 is a bad test for haswell chips. Might be a different test though.

Don't use Prime95 with Haswell CPUs. It can damage the chip very easily. I greatly prefer AIDA64, Intel XTU (yes, I know it uses P95 algorithms) and RealBench for hammering the CPU.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

Don't use Prime95 with Haswell CPUs. It can damage the chip very easily. I greatly prefer AIDA64, Intel XTU (yes, I know it uses P95 algorithms) and RealBench for hammering the CPU.

FALSE.

1 minute ago, SnappingTurtle said:

FALSE.

Care to elaborate?

5 minutes ago, Allshevski said:

Yes, you have to. Voltage is a huuge temperature factor when you over/underclock.

Any idea what I should start with? It is at around 1V right now.

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

Personally the temp sounds really high and you should start by diagnosing the root problem IMO. Double and triple check that the cooler is seated properly and that there was not too much or too little thermal paste.

Monitor with a different utility just to get a second opinion.

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

4 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

Personally the temp sounds really high and you should start by diagnosing the root problem IMO. Double and triple check that the cooler is seated properly and that there was not too much or too little thermal paste.

It is stock with nothing changed, thermal paste was as it came, and I just setted it and pressed on the opposing corners :/

My PC:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

I run AIDA64 for a couple of minutes and both AIDA64 and hwmonitor said the same thing

My PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, CookiezFort said:

It is stock with nothing changed, thermal paste was as it came, and I just setted it and pressed on the opposing corners :/

I don't understand what you mean that thermal paste was as it came...I have not used this particular CPU, but they don't usually come pre-pasted?  Are you saying you didn't add therma paste?  If so, that is your cause...

|[ i7 6700k ][ MSI z170a XPower Gaming Titanium MB ][ 16gig G.Skill Trident Z 3000mhz ][ Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 980ti ][ Samsung Evo & Intel SSDs ][ Corsair 540 air ][ XFX Pro 750w Platinum ][ 24" Asus 144hz ]|

My 2500K was getting extremely hot while stress testing it even when underclocked. I had left the voltage at automatic and it was only using about 0.9V at 3GHz. It was still hitting 90 C. Turns out that the heat sink wasn't mounted properly, one of the pins wasn't seated.

Check the hardware parts just to be sure. I wouldn't recommend P95, and it will also help to get real world results (ie render a video or play an intensive game) to see where it will actually fall. With a stock cooler those stress  test programs are designed to push the chip harder than it would ever normally be pushed so I would expect higher than normal temps.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

8 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

I don't understand what you mean that thermal paste was as it came...I have not used this particular CPU, but they don't usually come pre-pasted?  Are you saying you didn't add therma paste?  If so, that is your cause...

The stock cooler comes with paste pre applied.

My PC:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, mikat said:

undervolt until you have to underclock :D

I will try that and see what I can reach and at what temperatures.

My PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, CookiezFort said:

The stock cooler comes with paste pre applied.

Yeah...I have never used the stock cooler...I would clean and reapply now.  No sense treating the symptoms, treat the issue.  This is assuming you are getting these temps under normal load and not just spikes during benchmarks...

28 minutes ago, CookiezFort said:

Just go lower and lower and lower till you crash then increase it by a little and stress test. should be fine.

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

40 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Care to elaborate?

yes. p95 does not damage cpus. especially if you use the right version 26.6

16 minutes ago, Low_Battery said:

Yeah...I have never used the stock cooler...I would clean and reapply now.  No sense treating the symptoms, treat the issue.  This is assuming you are getting these temps under normal load and not just spikes during benchmarks...

I checked the temps after playing CSGO, it was around 70 degrees or so. I was watching the AIDA64 at around 70 odd aswell

My PC:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, CookiezFort said:

I checked the temps after playing CSGO, it was around 70 degrees or so. I was watching the AIDA64 at around 70 odd aswell

I personally wouldn't be concerned about 70c under load with a stock cooler...

5 minutes ago, CookiezFort said:

Also, keep in mind ambient temps factor in as well - as does air flow in the case...

16 minutes ago, SnappingTurtle said:

yes. p95 does not damage cpus. especially if you use the right version 26.6

26.6 cranks temps up but doesn't screw with voltage the way later versions do, I'll give you that.

That said, I've watched someone take a stock-clocked 4770K on a 212 EVO from idle to thermal shutdown in 30 seconds flat using Prime95. Beyond that, you get into the whole question of whether or not a PC that survives 24 hours of P95's unrealistic, artificial beatdown would survive hour 25.

TL;DR version: there are alternatives to Prime95 out there, especially for Haswell, that simulate a much more realistic abuse scenario and do so without turning your CPU into a nuclear reactor or running the risk of causing irreparable damage to your brand-new $340 i7-4770K/90K.

11 minutes ago, CookiezFort said:

On a stock cooler, that's not awful. The 4790K I'm running now was pulling almost identical numbers on the stock cooler.