1440p 21:9 G-Sync or 1440pp 144hz G-Sync

Mr_Boberto

Having a little bit of a crisis at the moment. Right now I'm running a normal 16:9 1080p 60hz monitor. It nothing special picked it up for like 150 a while back. I'm interested in upgrading to either a Acer X34 Predator or the Acer Predator XB271HU. Microcenter is running a promo where if you buy any Intel cpu you get 20% off any Acer monitor. So I can pick up a cheap celeron Cpu for like 35 bucks and get the X34 for a little over 1100 or the XB for like 680 after tax. Question is is 21:9 really worth the 400 and some odd extra dollars? The X34 is the dream monitor but i don't know if I can justify spending that much extra for just 21:9 and a little less refresh rate. I have never used a monitor over 1080p or 60hz, Also have never experienced G-Sync first hand. What do you guys think, is the X34 worth the premium or save the extra money and get the XB?

If you do ANYTHING other than just gaming, it's a treat. Gaming is fantastic on an ultrawide, but it really shines with movie watching and general desktop use.

As much as I wish I could say I do, I don't really use it or for much more then gameing and Web browsing/youtube. I'm not a writer, don't edit. Don't really do much as with it

If you're into competitive shooters like CS:GO, I'd probably opt for the 144hz monitor.

Everything else, would go for the Ultrawide instead.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I'm in the same predicament OP. I'm planning on doing a huge system upgrade before the summer, and I don't know what to get.

MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 - (5700HQ : 970M : 16gb RAM : 17.3" : Win10 : 1TB HDD : Razer Anansi : Some mouse) - hooked up to a 34UM58-P (WFHD) in dual screen

iPad Air 2 (for school)

iPhone 6

Xbox One Forza 6 Limited Edition Blue

If I had hardware capable of doing 100fps minimum at 1440p then 144hz would be the choice.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Yea I'm running 2 GTX 980's in sli so I think I should be ok hardware wise to support it

I just Bought the Predator X34, Its a Phenomenal Monitor and Is awesome to use and in single monitor situations I would recommend it Whole heartedly. It also Can over-clock to 100hz Right through the Ui, so you don't have to mess with nvidia's drivers.

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?