Why does my CPU get slower after overclocking?

This happened me every time I overclocked a CPU. And that is even tho CPU is technically faster. Not just in mhz but in benchmarks and games as well. It feels slower. Most notably when it boots up but it takes longer to open software as well. 

I have an FX 6300 that is at 4.3ghz right now. It is doing quite well. 

My overclock method is this: I turn the voltage up as high as it can go and still boot up and be stable. And than I push the frequency up as high as it will go without crashing. And than I turn down the voltage if I can. I never touched the RAM and motherboard chipset, even tho maybe I should. 

But to get to the point. Every time I overclock or better yet, increase the voltage that PC takes noticeably longer to boot. Everything lags after it is running and all the software is running slow after startup. But in benchmarks it is faster and games are running better too. 

The overclock may be unstable. but it isn't crashing. Turning the clock down to 4ghz and lowering the voltage will fix the problem. but it will also slow down me down, so this is out of the question. 

Does this happen to anyone else besides me. Or am I just shit at overclocking. 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

If a CPU overclock isn't stable, it will crash your system..

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

What CPU cooler do you have though? And at what temperatures is the CPU running when OC'ed?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What kind of voltage are you pushing?

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

7 hours ago, Minibois said:

What CPU cooler do you have though? And at what temperatures is the CPU running when OC'ed?

Thermaltake Frio Extreme. It does not go beyond 55C when overclocked to the max. Non overclocked it does not go over 30C

7 hours ago, ChronicGenocide said:

What kind of voltage are you pushing?

Not sure, its before the last one in the BIOS. Its in red letters. I will tell you later. 

Specs: AMD FX 6300 @ 4ghz, Asus R9 270 OC, 8gb Corsair xms3, Cooler Master GX 550w PSU, WD 500 blue, Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3

7 hours ago, TheRagingGamer said:

This happened me every time I overclocked a CPU. And that is even tho CPU is technically faster. Not just in mhz but in benchmarks and games as well. It feels slower. Most notably when it boots up but it takes longer to open software as well. 

I have an FX 6300 that is at 4.3ghz right now. It is doing quite well. 

My overclock method is this: I turn the voltage up as high as it can go and still boot up and be stable. And than I push the frequency up as high as it will go without crashing. And than I turn down the voltage if I can. I never touched the RAM and motherboard chipset, even tho maybe I should. 

But to get to the point. Every time I overclock or better yet, increase the voltage that PC takes noticeably longer to boot. Everything lags after it is running and all the software is running slow after startup. But in benchmarks it is faster and games are running better too. 

The overclock may be unstable. but it isn't crashing. Turning the clock down to 4ghz and lowering the voltage will fix the problem. but it will also slow down me down, so this is out of the question. 

Does this happen to anyone else besides me. Or am I just shit at overclocking. 

I got mine up to 4.8Ghz stable but there is a thing called thermal throttling if your cpu gets too hot it will turn the clock down to avoid breaking the cpu

7 hours ago, TheRagingGamer said:

Thermaltake Frio Extreme. It does not go beyond 55C when overclocked to the max. Non overclocked it does not go over 30C

You might want to do an Aida 64 stress test and prove that to us because my cpu hits 70c with a h100i at full rpm and at that max 4.8ghz overclock

6 hours ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

You might want to do an Aida 64 stress test and prove that to us because my cpu hits 70c with a h100i at full rpm and at that max 4.8ghz overclock

Depends on the voltage. Mine goes up to 65C if i put it on 1.46V. I can't push it farther than 4.8ghz. 

You should be ocing the other way around: mhz first and THEN voltage.  This prevents you from applying to much voltage (can cause damage),  which will make the cpu produce less heat. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case