Coolant appearance change in 24hr's

Hi Guys,

I had to drain my loop after just 24hr's as my motherboard Lan port was faulty so I had to RMA the board but I noticed my coolant change drastically in those 24hr's it's EK blood red coolant and after being in the loop it has gone dark. Is this normal or is there an issue with my loop.

20160220_014623.jpg

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Just now, PeggersXtreme said:

Hi Guys,

I had to drain my loop after just 24hr's as my motherboard Lan port was faulty so I had to RMA the board but I noticed my coolant change drastically in those 24hr's it's EK blood red coolant and after being in the loop it has gone dark. Is this normal or is there an issue with my loop.

What are you components in your loop, and your method of cleaning before assembling the loop?

Just now, W-L said:

What are you components in your loop, and your method of cleaning before assembling the loop?

Flushed the Rad out with distilled water but they should be clean because they were carried over from another PC that ran Pure distilled water no color or anything and I have two Titan X's and a 5960X in the loop cooled by 2x 360mm Black Ice Nemesis 30mm thick rads and a single 140mm 30mm thick black ice rad

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

2 minutes ago, PeggersXtreme said:

Flushed the Rad out with distilled water but they should be clean because they were carried over from another PC that ran Pure distilled water no color or anything and I have two Titan X's and a 5960X in the loop cooled by 2x 360mm Black Ice Nemesis 30mm thick rads and a single 140mm 30mm thick black ice rad

If you can purchase PH strips I would test between the two bottle of fluid it could be because of the parts that were in a previously loop that affected the fluid. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

If you can purchase PH strips I would test between the two bottle of fluid it could be because of the parts that were in a previously loop that affected the fluid. 

Maybe Does it mean I cant re-use this coolant now? it still looks blood red when in a loop it's only when drained it looks weird as I have the new bottle to compare it too. Or maybe I should contact EK about it?

Custom PC:

2 minutes ago, PeggersXtreme said:

Maybe Does it mean I cant re-use this coolant now? it still looks blood red when in a loop it's only when drained it looks weird as I have the new bottle to compare it too. Or maybe I should contact EK about it?

@EK Luc may have an answer to that, the fluid should still be ok as long as it wasn't dirt or debris it picked up from parts in the loop or cause a large PH change. 

Just now, PeggersXtreme said:

Contact EK. After watching Jay's Video about coolants you can never be too sure.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

@EK Luc may have an answer to that, the fluid should still be ok as long as it wasn't dirt or debris it picked up from parts in the loop or cause a large PH change. 

I've just thought I used my GPU's from my Yellow Build which used Mayhems Yellow Pastel coolant I did flush the blocks out best as possible but could it be possible that some of the coolant mixed with the red?

Custom PC:

1 minute ago, PeggersXtreme said:

I've just thought I used my GPU's from my Yellow Build which used Mayhems Yellow Pastel coolant I did flush the blocks out best as possible but could it be possible that some of the coolant mixed with the red?

It's possible if there were some still in the blocks or something that caused a chemical reaction or PH change, but IIRC you didn't have an issue with the pastel coolants? 

Just now, W-L said:

It's possible if there were some still in the blocks or something that caused a chemical reaction or PH change, but IIRC you didn't have an issue with the pastel coolants? 

I changed from Pastel Yellow because of Jayz Video scared me a bit of my coolant going brown but it never did go brown kind of wish I didn't pull that PC apart now though lol as it is taking me forever to get it built again into a new case with new coolant. but nope no issues with the yellow coolant other than my temps being lower with the EK stuff but that could be because of improved positive pressure moving from a desk case to a proper case.

Custom PC:

3 minutes ago, PeggersXtreme said:

I changed from Pastel Yellow because of Jayz Video scared me a bit of my coolant going brown but it never did go brown kind of wish I didn't pull that PC apart now though lol as it is taking me forever to get it built again into a new case with new coolant. but nope no issues with the yellow coolant other than my temps being lower with the EK stuff but that could be because of improved positive pressure moving from a desk case to a proper case.

That's a good thing, I would probbaly see what Luc says since he probbaly has seen this before and will be able to provide more insight.

Just now, W-L said:

That's a good thing, I would probbaly see what Luc says since he probbaly has seen this before and will be able to provide more insight.

okie dokie thanks for the help ;)

Custom PC:

On 2/20/2016 at 9:08 PM, W-L said:

On 2/20/2016 at 9:21 PM, PeggersXtreme said:

It's very possible that there was still some small amount of pastel yellow in the micro channels of your GPU blocks and it did mix with the new coolant.

Since it's probably just a very small amount of pastel that was mix with the non-Pastel, i'm very sure the coolant is still usable.

I don't even think it's a PH change since it rarely happens with non-Pastel coolant.  Also it's most certainly not an issue of rad debris since they were previously used and that HWLabs rads are pretty damn clean from out of the box usually. :)