Quick question for when upgrading my rig

So I am going to be upgrading my rig here very soon. Going to a i7-4790k which requires me to also get a new motherboard that uses it's chipset. Now when I change out the motherboard and cpu will I just be able to plug in my ssd and hdds and still use the current os I have installed or will I have to reformat and install a new copy completely? I am using Windows 10.

A friend of mine upgraded his motherboard and cpu not too long ago and had issues and had to reformat and I'm just wondering if I will too

Thanks in advanced!

What motherboard and CPU do you have now? 

You will likely need to reinstall windows, and possibly contact microsoft to transfer your license to a new motherboard (which can be a pain if you have an OEM license)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

What motherboard and CPU do you have now? 

You will likely need to reinstall windows, and possibly contact microsoft to transfer your license to a new motherboard (which can be a pain if you have an OEM license)

I'm to lazy to type it all and I already had this picture from a few months ago https://gyazo.com/e00df342289ca71be00fef7c383b5400

Also I have no idea if my license is considered OEM or not. Im not entirely sure what I used when I bought my copy of windows 7 back in 2012 (I just upgraded to windows 8 > win 8.1 > win 10 with it).

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You might have you, you might not. Please remember to get a Z97 board so you can overclock.

Yeah already made sure about the board it's a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128714

6 minutes ago, TheRevTastic said:

So I am going to be upgrading my rig here very soon. Going to a i7-4790k which requires me to also get a new motherboard that uses it's chipset. Now when I change out the motherboard and cpu will I just be able to plug in my ssd and hdds and still use the current os I have installed or will I have to reformat and install a new copy completely? I am using Windows 10.

A friend of mine upgraded his motherboard and cpu not too long ago and had issues and had to reformat and I'm just wondering if I will too

Thanks in advanced!

It's recommended to refresh windows, but it should work without doing anything. 

3 minutes ago, TheRevTastic said:

I'm to lazy to type it all and I already had this picture from a few months ago https://gyazo.com/e00df342289ca71be00fef7c383b5400

Also I have no idea if my license is considered OEM or not. Im not entirely sure what I used when I bought my copy of windows 7 back in 2012 (I just upgraded to windows 8 > win 8.1 > win 10 with it).

Yeah already made sure about the board it's a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128714

Why do you want to upgrade to a 4790k? (Is the 2500k holding you back? What's your GPU/use case? It might be worthwhile going with a 3770k instead). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You might have you, you might not. Please remember to get a Z97 board so you can overclock.

Or Z87 if you can find a better deal than Z97. However you are more than likely to have to flash the BIOS so that the Z87 motherboard can accept the Haswell Refresh CPUs.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Why do you want to upgrade to a 4790k? (Is the 2500k holding you back? What's your GPU/use case? It might be worthwhile going with a 3770k instead). 

Gaming and content creation reasons. For instance my cpu sucks when playing GTA V (it doesn't load in the environment at all unless I have the games process set to the highest priority in the task manager).

5 minutes ago, TheRevTastic said:

Gaming and content creation reasons. For instance my cpu sucks when playing GTA V (it doesn't load in the environment at all unless I have the games process set to the highest priority in the task manager).

A 2500k (especially if it's overclocked) should be able to keep up in GTA V. In terms of rendering/gaming, a 4790k would definitely be better, but not necessarily worth the cost to upgrade (especially when you can likely get a 3770k at a fraction of the cost and without the headache of dealing with Microsoft and get 90%~ of the performance). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

A 2500k (especially if it's overclocked) should be able to keep up in GTA V. In terms of rendering/gaming, a 4790k would definitely be better, but not necessarily worth the cost to upgrade (especially when you can likely get a 3770k at a fraction of the cost and without the headache of dealing with Microsoft and get 90%~ of the performance). 

I've just been told the 4790k is really great for streaming uses as well (which is what i mean by content creation along side rendering videos etc). The money doesn't matter to me it's income tax money that would just be wasted on something else and I'm upgrading the pc for when i go back to university next year for computer science and 3d animation.

Just now, TheRevTastic said:

I've just been told the 4790k is really great for streaming uses as well (which is what i mean by content creation along side rendering videos etc). The money doesn't matter to me it's income tax money that would just be wasted on something else and I'm upgrading the pc for when i go back to university next year for computer science and 3d animation.

Any i7 would be great at streaming/video editing :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, TheRevTastic said:

Well again, a 3770k will give you 95%~ of the performance at a fraction of the cost and not require you to replace your motherboard or have to deal with Microsoft to transfer your Windows license. So if you can manage to find a 3770k at a decent price it's definitely the better choice. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Well again, a 3770k will give you 95%~ of the performance at a fraction of the cost and not require you to replace your motherboard or have to deal with Microsoft to transfer your Windows license. So if you can manage to find a 3770k at a decent price it's definitely the better choice. 

Oops I may have forgotten to mention a few ports on my motherboard have broken >.> so that's why I decided to upgrade them both (couple usb ports including one of the 3.0 ones and the headphone plugin in the back don't work).

Edit: I also don't really trust myself when it comes to overclocking anything, I'm way too stupid when it comes to those things, the only reason im getting the liquid cooling for the cpu is I live in Texas and my room temp usually sits at 80f or more during the summer.

14 minutes ago, TheRevTastic said:

Oops I may have forgotten to mention a few ports on my motherboard have broken >.> so that's why I decided to upgrade them both (couple usb ports including one of the 3.0 ones and the headphone plugin in the back don't work).

Edit: I also don't really trust myself when it comes to overclocking anything, I'm way too stupid when it comes to those things, the only reason im getting the liquid cooling for the cpu is I live in Texas and my room temp usually sits at 80f or more during the summer.

Do you have an ac or fan running in  your room as well? that doesn't seem too hot for a texas summer from what I've heard

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))

Just now, Howlingwolf101 said:

Do you have an ac or fan running in  your room as well? that doesn't seem too hot for a texas summer from what I've heard

That's with the AC running constantly, poor insulation makes it so the house never really cools down until night.

that sucks, the room my computer is in is unfortunately cut off from the AC and it has bad insulation so it gets cold in the winter (yay colder temps for my computer) and hot in the summer. I'm usually at the mercy of the outside temperature.

You know how it is, the cow goes "moo", the dog goes "woof" and the gamer goes "The PvP is unbalanced."

Spoiler

Personal Computer: CPU: i7-4790 Mobo: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Graphics Card: MSI R9-380  Memory: 16GB (8GB x2) G. Skill Sniper Gaming Series PSU: Apevia Warlock 750W Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Series Storage: 240GB SSD (OS) 3TB HDD (data and such) 500 GB SSD (Movies and Large Data Transfers (I'm constantly moving this one around to other computers))